Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sneak Peak" Updated Tailight Mod...Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 07:39 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think this project is going to be scratched...I am starting to get alot of critics talking rice and other stupid ****....I guess I will probably scratch this project, make a set for myself and thats it....Unless enough people say otherwise.....

If you like to talk rice then go here... www.idiotswhoknownothingbut2talk****.com not here www.rennlist.com

Get it...

Damian
Old 01-12-2004, 07:48 PM
dave120
Drifting

Don't let people get to you. Anytime anybody comes up with good ideas here there's always some twit who has an opinion about it. I still haven't decided whether I like these enough to get a set, but it is creative and helpful to everybody else who wants to do it but doesn't have the facilities. Looks to me like you have a lot more interested people than nay-sayers here.

Had the same thing happen when I posted about the rollbar my dad and I designed and built for my car...engineered totally from scratch and built by hand with a manual tubing bender and complimented by SEVERAL race car engineers only to have someone here tell me it looked like I copied a bar someone else makes (which my bar in fact DOES NOT look anything like it and is structurally superior)

Part of the reason you haven't seen me building anymore of them yet though is that type of feedback and people telling me I'd get a law suit or some crap if somebody dies for crashing their car with my bar in it. Not worth the hassle sometimes..too many critics, too few independent thinkers
Old 01-12-2004, 07:53 PM
Sami951
Drifting

Damian, no!! You need to do this, those white/red lenses are the best thing I've seen. Those who say you're ricing stuff up probably also consider 968 mirrors / wings and AIR splitters rice, while the majority here would (I think) agree they're just very nice cosmetic mods.

Reality check: turbo badge on an N/A car is rice. Huge-*** aluminum rear wing on a street car is rice. NOS/GReddy/Apex'i/whatever "sponsor" stickers on a car with no such equipment is rice. Rice = trying to look faster than you really are. I'm not sure if altezza lights and such could be labeled rice, but they sure are ugly never the less ...
Old 01-12-2004, 08:06 PM
TonD
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I am new here, and not (yet) a paying Rennlist member, I hope my $0.02 is worth as much as anybody else's.

Damian, for some reason you appear to get angry with nay-sayers quite easily. No offence of course! But my advise would be to try (harder) to ignore them....some people aren't worth it to waste time on....

I, personally, realy like your tail-light project, it looks like a great piece of handcrafted work! Maybe you should make a poll or something of the like, I am sure the greater part (or at least a big enough part!) likes your project!

Ow, btw, THIS is rice, not your tail-light-mod...

Old 01-12-2004, 08:13 PM
X 944 X
Instructor

atleast make a few sets... im a big supporter... i have all clear signals all the way around EXCEPT the back..i need this
Old 01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah Damian, lighten up - I reread the thread and I can't figure out what you are reacting to.

Don't be so defensive. Make taillights and sell them. The people who want them will buy them, regardless of whether or not everyone pats you on the back.

I think the product looks nice. But if I didn't, and expressed a concern or a suggestion, I'd be pretty offended by your reaction, I'd think.
Old 01-12-2004, 08:54 PM
eclou
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1,237 Likes on 607 Posts

If you make it they will sell. Do it!
Old 01-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At least do mine since I removed them already and scraped all the gasket material off the car :>)
Old 01-12-2004, 09:05 PM
Manning
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Damian,

Wow, I'm really confused. Was somebody criticizing the lights in PMs to you or something? Everyone in this thread so far seems really stoked about them. And Dan seemed to be merely offering good advise to help you out. After all, I get the feeling Dan has done a lot of research in this regard (lighting that is). I think you should go for it, the lights look nice.

Dave, you really need to get over it. It was not one person, it was a few who said your bar looked like John Hajny's. I suggested you make sure the design didn't infringe any patents, which I now know it doesn't since John's bar is not a patented design. Many suggested you check into liability issues so you wouldn't be held accountable if someone got hurt while your bar is in use. That wasn't frivalous criticism, it was people trying to be helpful, especially since YOU ASKED what people thought.

EDIT Oh, and there was some design debate about the bar too (B pillar versus C pillar strength) but that wasn't a personal attack or anything. Don't be so thin skinned about it
Old 01-12-2004, 09:07 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i liked them too.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:08 PM
TreacherousDog
Track Day

Damian those don't look rice... clear lenses with chrome inside are rice.. keep it up that looks really nice. I would purchase the kit from you without thinking twice for under $100 especially if its easy to install. After you do these you should try something similar for the 968's tail lights.. i dont like their entirely red as much as the 944's personally.
Old 01-12-2004, 10:27 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

You guys are right..I need to lighten up...! Packers lost yesterday

One or two comments shouldn"t get to me... I just put alot of time into this and my car over the last four years and anyone that has seen it in person knows that it is very nice and I would never let annyone tell me otherwise about the car or anything I am going to do to it...I guess I am just being stubborn.....

Matt if you still want the lenses done by me and installed by me...That will be $100 for you and you only for right now...You in or out...? I want someone else to see them first in person from the list before I decide to sell them to others...I want people to get the best and if someone does not think they are getting the best, I would like to know...Not just sell 20 sets and then have to deal with 15 complaints because of bugs...

Thank's

Damian

Old 01-12-2004, 10:34 PM
dave120
Drifting

Originally posted by Manning
Damian,

Dave, you really need to get over it. It was not one person, it was a few who said your bar looked like John Hajny's. I suggested you make sure the design didn't infringe any patents, which I now know it doesn't since John's bar is not a patented design. Many suggested you check into liability issues so you wouldn't be held accountable if someone got hurt while your bar is in use. That wasn't frivalous criticism, it was people trying to be helpful, especially since YOU ASKED what people thought.

EDIT Oh, and there was some design debate about the bar too (B pillar versus C pillar strength) but that wasn't a personal attack or anything. Don't be so thin skinned about it

I've been over it...I merely made the value judgement that the hassle of dealing with all that (and being accused of copying was rather annoying, seeing as I have all the drawings and equations from ground zero for the thing) wasn't worth the effort. Helping a few people get the best possible product meant too much paperwork and research into SCCA requirements and all that...it's not like I was going to make a substantial profit on the things, and I wasn't going to mass produce them.

I asked what people thought, fine, but the whole "it looks just like such and such's" was a little bit annoying. A LOT of work went into that and small comments like that are discouraging. Not to mention I fail to see the resemblence myself. The ONLY thing that looks at all similar is the lower mounting point..how many palces can you mount it to in a 944?Professional race teams have checked my bar out and have said nothing but good things..even had an offer to have us build their race car one.

But whatever, I have mine, we'll be making one for my brother's 944 when he turns 18 and can do DEs, I'm happy with it, case closed. But the bottom line is that people's comments about it probably kept some interested people from being able to get them. I have enough to do and criticism for trying to do something nice is a buncha BS that I don't need, so I just dropped the idea and moved on with my life
Old 01-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt if you still want the lenses done by me and installed by me...That will be $100 for you and you only for right now...You in or out...? I want someone else to see them first in person from the list before I decide to sell them to others...I want people to get the best and if someone does not think they are getting the best, I would like to know...Not just sell 20 sets and then have to deal with 15 complaints because of bugs...

IN, let me know where to send them.
Old 01-12-2004, 11:24 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Damian, don't give up on this. I think they look great and I'm in for an all red set.

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak" Updated Tailight Mod...Part II