Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sneak Peak" Updated Tailight Mod...Part II

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2004 | 02:03 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

You need to have an all red brake light no matter what - you can't have it shining red and white. It is against lighting code in the US plus you will probably confuse drivers behind you causing a delay in when they stomp on the brakes. I guess you could put a red colored bulb in but that is sort of a problem to get a red one that puts out anywhere near the light of the original setup without getting a mighty powerfull one and now you have introduced a heat issue of melting the plastic.

So you need to either block off the clear portion of the top inner cell or just switch the various cells' lighting duties. As Sami noted many of the ROW cars have a different assignment scheme so you could make the lower center red cell which is dead in the US into the brake light. Pretty simple - just switch the brake socket over to the dead socket. That will take a grand total of 2 minutes.

Now, what you would do with the old brake light cells, I don't know. I guess you could turn them into additional backup lights for all the good that will do you. Or you could leave it dead - ROW cars that didn't have rear fogs left those two cells dead.

I guess I have never looked too closely at the rear tail lights, but how are you removing the old top row of lenses without damaging the lower red row? Aren't those sonic welded on? Or are you just sawing off all 6 cells of lenses and replacing with new?
Old 01-11-2004 | 02:10 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

It looks like all six cells are new.
Old 01-11-2004 | 02:34 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Yeah, that is what it looks like to me, also. This raises another issue regarding the plastic stock he is using and the frenzeling pattern cast in the lenses. He better check out the light pattern from various angles to make sure they can be seen well. There is a reason the lighting manufacturers spend good money on lens design rather than just pull some office overhead fluorescent light diffuser plastic off the Home Depot shelf.
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:08 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Lights.....

I ceshark thank you for your concerns and ideas....and trust me this is no ghetto operation going on here...The reflecter pattern I am using is the exact same, as for example, a 2003 Chevy pick-up...I don't know that seems ok to me then....The plastic and glue being used is not store bought from a place like Home depot...I mean come on....The plastic being used is purchased from a place called Midland Plastics...yeah all they deal with it is plastic all day everyday, and this place is not small..So I would imagine that they now more about plastic then alot of us put together....I think I can trust their judgement...I have consulted with many people at the plastic company about these issues and my own concerns before anything was ever even started like this...
You guys be the judge on which is brighter....Stock brakelight on the left, new on the right...

and the stock...

and the new..

Maybe I should just scratch this entire idea..and just risk my own car......

Damian
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:09 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

No scratchin - I like
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:11 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Also after seeing the light on my car today I have decide to make a small change to the lenses, it will look alot better..Just something I didn't think of before..It will make it look a bit better...

Damian
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:14 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

also if anyone wold like proof of the reflection pattern being the same as A 2003 chevy pick-up...Just ask....Home depot off the shelf...

Damian
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:28 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Ohhh I forgot about the dull and ghetto turn signal....

Damian
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:42 PM
Yabo
Rennlist Member

mmmmm well when you finally decide whats perfect, let us know. seems you keep finding things to change.
Old 01-11-2004 | 10:54 PM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

The change is small....I will post it tonight....Just remove two of the breaks...So the only thing that will have a break is the break light, top and bottom row...No break inbetween the turn signal and reverse....and the dead cell and the driving light...Looks a bit better....on the car that is...

I want only what looks and works the best for my P-Car.....

Damian
Old 01-12-2004 | 12:25 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't forget to get some pics in the daylight. Close ups and medium distance shots would be great. So far I really like what you're doing.
Old 01-12-2004 | 01:27 AM
Lead Foot 944
Three Wheelin'

Pic's in daylight will not be possible, or even far way shots from all angles...my car is slammed in a corner in storage...not much room or light to work...sorry...Altogh I know I have had the other lenses on my car for all last summer, and I never got rear ended or pulled over...just compliment's....

Damian
Old 01-12-2004 | 04:23 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Lead Foot 944
The change is small....I will post it tonight....Just remove two of the breaks...So the only thing that will have a break is the break light, top and bottom row...No break inbetween the turn signal and reverse....and the dead cell and the driving light...Looks a bit better....on the car that is...
At first I thought that might make the lenses look too big or something... curious to see how it turns out though
Old 01-12-2004 | 05:53 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Are you able to produce those lenses with E & DOT markings ? Those would be nice to have, so i don't have to change lenses to yearly inspection we have. Swedish lenses have those markings
Old 01-12-2004 | 10:57 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Damian - please PM me the address I need to send my spare set to. I didnt see a call from you on the cell but I did see where you had prior committments. I removed them yesterday (came out far to easily, they must have been out before!).

Quick Reply: Sneak Peak" Updated Tailight Mod...Part II