Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT-need to rant about this place...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 08:53 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not just condos anymore, there are a lot of subdivisions with deed restrictions just as severe. I think the unspoken premise is " if you live here, you should be rich enough to have 'people' do these menial jobs for you." But it is in the paperwork you sign. Screw 'em anyway.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:06 PM
James86-951
Pro

I've had letters for the trash can in plain sight, hose not stowed out of sight, trashcan blind (I built to the letter in the covenants) not paint in the same scheme as the house, and last but not least, too many weeds in the flowerbed around the mailbox. Uh, ok, I give, what's the deal. OH! I forgot about the pool commitee chairman complaining about the dog we (my wife) just got fom the humae society. He was too close to the pool ares. (Near the front gate.) I believe covenants give people whom are diminutive "power" over others. Some people cannot handle that "responsibility;" They just loose it.

Now, if you don't attend their church too, well then you screwed, welcome to the south.......... (and I'm a native!!)
Old 01-08-2004, 09:09 PM
mochman
Pro

I usually get paid for this but if you want me to come by for a few days and make life really miserable for a few key people it would be a pleasure.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:31 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

It is sad. I wish he would have come over to tell me what his problem is. I wave to him and his wife, but never got a wave back ever since I moved in here 6 years ago. If he does not like cars, its ok. I have the double insulated garage door (which I voted on getting while on the board) and work only inside of my garage with the door closed when its dark (6 pm). My 6 other neighbors come and help me out every once in a while and I do the same for them even to the point of working on their cars in their garage. I don't ever ask for anything in return. Goes to show you can't satisfy everybody.
Old 01-08-2004, 09:47 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Someone doesn't like you and they want to get you out.

It would be easier if you rented, but you have two options. Fight back, or offer to move if they will buy your property for more than it's worth.

A buddy of mine got a lecture about starting his bikes in the morning shortly after moving into a new neighborhood. Th next day he took his loudest bike, a Mike Hailwood Ducati, pushed it down the street in front of the complainers house, aimed the pipes at his picture window, started it up and revved it for five minutes. He said he could see the glass flexxing from the exhaust pulses. Then he turned it off and pushed it back to his house.

No more complaints.

Now, this guy's a commercial real estate agent, and they are mean. But it might help you with some ideas. It helps to get off on the right foot in some cases.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Move. You did buy knowing there were deed restrictions-or you should have known. I know sometimes board members at places like that get the old 'school crossing guard' mentality, you know, a ten year old with a badge-but they've got the law on their side. You're going to spend more on legal fees than any transfer loss you'll make by selling, I'd imagine.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:28 PM
MacWolffe
Advanced

the problem with moving is that houses here are expensive, i know at least one of the complainers, we call her the condo ****, old lady with a dog who goes around the complex and writes down the violations that she sees.

the reason people get stranded when their cars break down is cos they don't know **** about the cars they drive or how to make the most basic of repairs.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:06 PM
Fixn2xlr8
Bunny with a Mission
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 56 Posts

I am a real estate agent. As for the restrictions I have seen some that are totally stupid. I happen to live in a condo with a 2 car garage and the association doesnt mess with me about cars/ramps/ and stray car parts off my 968 but alot of them are true ******** about it all. The best thing I have found is to get on the board. That way you get to make your own rules. As for houses, many deed restrictions are just as bad if not worse than condos. As to the towing?? I blow somes grill piece out if someone tried to pull that buuuuuuul sh*t.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:16 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

For the most part, I like the idea of HOAs and such. While you'd think that most people would actually be interested in maintaining their property, I've seen enough non-HOA areas to convince me that this is just not the case.

But then once you start getting the busy-bodies with too much time on their hands, well, yeah, that gets to be a problem. Fortunately for me, my neighbors don't seem to mind me doing suspension swaps in my driveway, so it's all good for the moment.

Of course, I make sure to suck up to the neighbors all the same...

BB.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:52 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Marco, too bad you dont live closer, but im sure 'listers out there will be more than willing to help. I have a perfect idea. Porsche Party - At your house. Everyone can dress up nice and proper and keep everything looking organized. Bring everyone and fill the drive way and side street! Loudest cars invited first! See what you complainy neighbor thinks about that. Some people have nothing better to do. OH OH! HAHAHA check this... we have a condo on the east coast on the beach. The association is really great, but they are all like over 60. A couple years back they must have gotten cranky from the weather or something. We have tags to designate owner cars since its a private lot. Well, i had just arrived from a long drive in the heat, with enough stuff since i was staying for a couple months. We dont have an elevator, so i had to make several trips up the stairs. Well, my car is open and theres equipment and duffel bags hanging out, its obvious someone just came or is leaving. Before i had even finished someone had posted a note on my windshield that my car will be towed within 24 hours since i dont have a sticker. Thats like my last draw. You dont tow my vehicle. Damn, if you want it moved, tell me and I will move it. Dont even make the mistake of towing my car, i would totally go off. I had just arrived, and within those 5 minutes, someone was watching out and was pressed to tell me i need a sticker? HELLO!!!! Ive spent months at a time up there for the past 11 years!!!!!! They know my car and who i am very well. I was lucky that was my only experience with them. The rest of that year the association fought within itself immensly til they all realized they are acting stupid and things have since quieted down. People were nitpicking eachother to death.
Old 01-09-2004, 03:04 AM
Dare
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they don't even ****in alllow us to have a satelite dish cos it looks ugly
Unless it has changed recently, there is an FCC rule that makes it illegal for community associations to prevent the installation of small satellite dishes for personal use as long as they don't present a safety hazard or interfere with the preservation of an historic site. If they truly are denying you the ability to receive satellite programming for purely aesthetic reasons, it's seems likely that they're breaking the law, and that you'd have a defensible position should they sue you for putting up a dish.

Personally, I'd get a copy of the applicable rules and wave it under their noses a bit. It might just get them to change their tune.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:29 AM
HY M8NC
Addict
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm afraid I agree with Matt H. I hope you knew these rules when you moved in. I understand that there are a lot of people with nothing better to do than "police" the neighborhood-and make up stupid rules to try and make everything look "nice". Still, I give it a 50/50 responsibility-just as they should learn to "relax", you should have looked into this before moving in. We are not alone on this planet, and even though WE like to work on cars, and can overlook the stains, car parts, noise, etc. There are an equal number of people who do not like that. They paid a lot of money as well to live in a community where they didn't need to worry about that, I think you should respect their values as you want them to respect yours.

I've bent the rules in my neighborhood. I get away with it because I make an active effort to be nice, and help everyone if they need it. I know my close neighbors-and they understand that I work on my car. If they have a complaint-they come and ask me to "clean up", or whatever. You might try to start by going door to door near you, and airing the problems. You will probably get more positive response by trying to work with your neighbors, rather than creating a fued. I don't think it would be nice to live in a neighborhood where everyone hated me-and I hated them.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:58 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm afraid I agree with Matt H

Whats that mean :>)

For the record, I had a car towed from my apt. complex after they parked in my spot for the 4th consecutive day. At that time we were paying to park (covered) and I had asked him politely not to park in my spot 2 other times. I came home at 10pm is was about 40 and pouring rain and the spot was about 1/2 block from the apt. When I saw his car in my spot, I assure you if I had a truck I would have pushed it out of the way or parked on top of it :>). Since I had neither, I had it towed. Lesson learned, he never parked in my spot again.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:36 AM
Billy W
Racer

I agree that while some rules can be harsh HOAs do serve a purpose. My first house I bought and then 1 year later went to sell, the value had risen guite well during that year about 20%. 2 weeks after the house went on the market the wife and I go out of town and come back and a new road has been cut in the property behind ours, they put up a trailer park behind our house (and not a nice one) it took 6 months to sell our house and it almost cost us money to get out. I wish I would have had an HOA then.
The next house we asked about the rules before we moved in.
I have a neighborhood near me that you can not have a truck more than 10 years old in the driveway, or they can tow it. You have to pay to park the truck on an offsite location that they have. In my mom's neighborhood you have to roll your trash can back to the house by 6pm on pickup days or it is a $75 fine. Keep in mind that if you get off work at 5 and sit in traffic that is $75 a week.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Eric
Addict
Rennlist Member

Wow--some horror stories here. I understand the purpose of HOAs, but damned if I want others telling me what I can and can't do with the home and property that I shelled out $$$ for--especially considering that my driveway is a mudhole everytime it rains, the roof eaves of my house desperately need a re-paint, I usually have a rusty, oil-leaking Jeep parked in my front, and all of my vehicle repairs are done in my sideyard on the grass

Quick Reply: OT-need to rant about this place...