Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: where to live?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 04:25 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: where to live?

im thinking maybe since i have no idea what i want to do (as a career) when i grow up, maybe ill just not go to college and instead of doing the Army National Gaurd part time (like im doing now), i could join full time, have a steady/well paying job for 20+ years and then retire

so i could transfer to anywhere that has a army national gaurd unit: pretty much any major town in the US.

so: in all your humble opinions where is the best place to live (for a Porsche owner)

criteria:
active pca and scca region

p-car dealership nearby

race track near by

ect ect ect....................time to go to class
Old 01-08-2004, 04:30 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Move to Ohio and buy my house!
Old 01-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Lousailor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

San Diego's expensive as hell, but the weather's pretty nice and the PCA here sounds like it's one of the best comparitivly. Only downside is we don't have a good local track. Phoenix and Willow are a day trip.
Old 01-08-2004, 04:51 PM
AWolf
Addict
Rennlist Member

I second the San Diego idea. Our PCA events are first class and we have very active members. Oh and there's that little issue about the perfect weather.
-Andrew
Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts

Check out Virginia. You can post in Danville and be right next to VIR. Though it's pretty hard to argue against San Diego....
Old 01-08-2004, 05:03 PM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

This may seem strange, but I will second the vote for Ohio.

Compelling reasons:

1. We have all of the seasons, including winter. This means that the old people who drive around with their left turnsignal on must migrate south and out of our state when they reach 70.

2. VERY active PCA chapters.

3. Auto-X: tons of series. There are 4 in my area.

4. Relatively low cost of living compared to other places.

5. Tons's of P-cars around here. Can't seem to throw a rock without hitting one (figuretively speaking of course).

6. Lots of great state parks.

7. Midwest attitude. Friendly folk, more or less. (except me)
Old 01-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

PCA sucks here in GA (peachstate ~ bunch of stuck up snobs that want Nothing to do with new/young members)....

Funny that my parents have a cabin down the road towards White Sulpher Springs (just the other side of Showdown) and I'm trying to find a way to move there permanentally. Screw the PCA (HATED my experience with them here)... though the lack of real racing is a downer the awesome driving roads up there make up for it. Plus... skiing, mountains, plethora of outdoor activities. There's more to life thana car.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:49 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

"theres more to life then a car"

i know, ever been to MT? if you like the outdoors; one of the greatest places on earth to be
however, here in MT theres hardly any use for having a car alot of the times
i was just hoping for a few responses, just for "food for thought", hopefully to hear of a place somewhat close to MT, with a large friendly club enviroment and a track nearby
Old 01-08-2004, 05:53 PM
Jay W
Addict
Rennlist Member

The weather in St. Louis is whacko. Last week for instance - 70 degrees and humid as heck, two days later it was 30 degrees. People just cant adjust to that crap. People are pretty nice though, and a decent amount of 944's around.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:56 PM
david fracolli
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I vote for San diego. Expensive, but not as bad as the bay area. Great weather too. Wish i had never moved away.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:57 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

monday it was 40 below and a foot of snow and today its 40+ above and mostly melted
we have our share of crazy weather
chinook winds for example
Old 01-08-2004, 05:58 PM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally posted by tifosiman
This may seem strange, but I will second the vote for Ohio.

Compelling reasons:

1. We have all of the seasons, including winter. This means that the old people who drive around with their left turnsignal on must migrate south and out of our state when they reach 70.

2. VERY active PCA chapters.

3. Auto-X: tons of series. There are 4 in my area.

4. Relatively low cost of living compared to other places.

5. Tons's of P-cars around here. Can't seem to throw a rock without hitting one (figuretively speaking of course).

6. Lots of great state parks.

7. Midwest attitude. Friendly folk, more or less. (except me)
You forgot to add:

8. You can buy Pete's house so he can get a place with a heated garage and get away from his psycho soon to be ex wife.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:02 PM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian, I think you're ready to move to Alaska!

Seriously, what did you find wrong with Atlanta? I find it one of the most liveable cities in the U.S. Maybe that's just it, and you're not a "city" person?
Old 01-08-2004, 06:03 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

white sulphur springs?
showdown?
where?
i know that showdown ski resort is "just down the road" south east of great falls a bit..and im pretty sure we have a "white sulphur springs" somewhere in this big ol' state
awesome roads: im hoping to step up and organize a pca tour on the "going to the sun road" or one of our windy/scenic roads...
Old 01-08-2004, 06:37 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, as for me - I grew up in Lander, Wyoming (5000 people on a GOOD census year), went to college in Bozeman, Montana for 4 years... it's where I got into motorcycles and out of cars (actually sold the last car I owned before the 951 there in 1995).

Showdown is a ski resort about 60 miles out of GreatFalls and White Sulpher Springs is 25 miles further on down the road (hwy 89? Can't recall)

What don't I like about Atlanta.... The WORST hospitality/snottiness of any place in the country (I've lived in Denver, Seattle, DC/Baltimore, NYC, Phoenix, and Atlanta while spending a good bit of time in several other cities and lots of small towns). If you're into Anything other than drinking/clubs, there's very little going on here in the evenings. Traffic is the worst I've seen anywhere short of LA, drivers ARE the worst ~ peroid. Shoot, even tapping into my favorite passion of riding motorcycles (small community), I've yet to find anyone here that's not a snob in some respect. Plain and simple, this is just the WORST place I've lived/visted/heard about ~ not my kind of place.

The only reason I'm here is my fiance. I met her the 2nd week I was here and have been living with her for just over 2 of the 3 years I've been here, all the time supporting her in school and waiting for graduation. Yup, I'm ready and anxious to get to Alaska. Small town, 3 miles of paved roads, no traffic (shoot, not many people have cars!), no money grubbing snobs, no drunken bar scene. Just a solid community where people know their neighbors and those who've lived there only speak of it fondly.

Getting back to the original topic - the NoVA/DC area had a good bit going on. Lots of work of any kind, Summit Point/Virginia Intl. Raceway/Nelsons Ledges/Watkens Glen all within easy reach. Awesome roads out to the west and south (PA backroads are usually in ill repair so I never ventured to far north without making a mad-dash through that state). 3 solid seasons, sometimes winter comes along to show a 4th but not usually (till you get back up into the mountains more). It'll be culture shock moving from Great Falls, but it meets most of your needs/wants.

Quick Reply: OT: where to live?