Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT: where to live?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 06:53 PM
porschefig
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey brian, if youre ever in MT the summer of 05' search for a Big Sky region scca event, im likely to be there

virginia, eh..thats where ill be going to learn how to work on chinook helicopters and all those tracks are sweet, VIR is very interesting
ofcourse, thats just from what ive read
anywhere will be a culture shock after living in Great Falls all my life

people here say its a "good place to be from"....yet we think of billings as a bunch of snobs...kalispell as overrun with rich californians...missoula filled with fruitcakes...and bozeman as good for nothing but college
-only brian will know what i mean
-where is everybody from MT anyways..greg colvin, dave cooley, tom masterson (has an article in sports car, the scca mag) james schnieder...off the top of my head, all avid p-car owners
Old 01-08-2004, 06:55 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

So. Orange County - Southern California. This includes, Irvine, Lake Forest, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita, Ladera Ranch, Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, San Clemente. Can't go wrong living at these places, other than expensive housing. Hell, I just moved to Lake Forest a month ago and its very nice. And, yes the house cost over half a million, but its worth it.

If you are young and single, live in the Los Angeles area.
If you are married and starting a family like myself, then live in So. Orange County.
Old 01-08-2004, 10:27 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would love to liver were Dan P. lived in Mansfield,Ohio.. What a great location and house was very pretty. The overall location of the place was just great for any car enthusiest. So I would pick Ohio for a for more reasons than that.. There are plenty of rennlist members and also almost anywere in ohio is at most a 3 hour drive to one of the best sports cars facilitys in the world.. (Mid-Ohio) ....The roads for cruises are some of the best in the world and there is very little traffic or even cops on the rural routes..
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 AM
jc22
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wo, I'm going to disagree with Fishey. Cops in Ohio suck, they're like cockroaches.....everywhere. I got a ticket for doing 70 on I-71. There is nothing in Mansfield except Mid-Ohio. The roads curve a little and are not heavily traveled but the road surfaces are bad and there are no hills. Oh yea, watch out for the Amish. I grew up in SE Ohio and absolutely LOVED driving there. The roads were like your own personal racetrack (except for the deer). I could drive for 20 miles on beautiful curvy road without seeing another car or house. That was the only plus to living there though. I'm not trying to **** anyone off as all of my family lives in Ohio including Mansfield. Just my observations.
Old 01-09-2004, 12:27 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally Ohio has the best back roads I have seen for condition (road surface). I hate driving in the south because you run into alot of dirt roads and up north all the roads suck in every state...
Old 01-09-2004, 12:28 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

The first cigarette I ever had I smoked behind Grandpa's barn. It made me dizzy, and I coughed a lot.

"Don't worry, that always happens with the first one," said Grandpa. "Try another one." And you know, he was right.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:53 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Half of all the Porsches sold in the US are sold in Southern California.

Used cars and spare parts.
Old 01-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

www.findyourspot.com

...might help?
Old 01-09-2004, 09:02 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by hoffman912
The first cigarette I ever had I smoked behind Grandpa's barn. It made me dizzy, and I coughed a lot.

"Don't worry, that always happens with the first one," said Grandpa. "Try another one." And you know, he was right.
Snif. That brings a tear to my eye. My little one is all grown up and wise in the way of Tifo-ism's. You make me proud.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:29 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got to speak up for Atlanta Been here all my life and I don't have any complaints. I live in a great community just outside the perimeter and have great neighbors. We've got a number of good repair shops here and as far as tracks - Road Atlanta is just up the way. PCNA headquarters is here and Jim Ellis is a decent dealership. Cops don't bother anyone for 10 over and on the perimeter you can easily do 20 over without being noticed(Actually required practically to keep from being run over). The local porsche club may be set in their ways but we've got a good group of 944 and 968 owner's that meet up every once in a while. Real esate values are holding up and the job market is decent. The airport is the main hub for practically any flight in the US and IMHO the weather is great. Nightlife activities have always been overrated in general in my book - I enjoy spending time with family in my spare time....
Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

Don't come here. We don't got non of that stuff. Your not even allowed to go to a race track if you live here. It's against the law.

Its snows 8 moths out of the year.

Go away, don't move here.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:57 AM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Harry- we GOTTA keep you away from Tifo..

Ohio is nice- I agree. more temperate winters than Illinois. Good people and good backroads. I havent seen more than 10 cops since I've been here. there are 4 Hooters within a 20 mile radius.

If you like bugs, bad drivers and old people move south east. (Fl, Ga)

besides- Ohio is home of 944 fest. You've tried the rest now try the 'fest.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:41 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

How about Sebring? ANG unit right up the road, if you don't like that one (artillery I think), there are tons more around. The unit trains at Avon Park Gunnery range, 15 min away. Sebring Intl Raceway is in town, Moroso Motorsports park is an hour away, Homestead is 2 hours. Orlando is 1 hour, beaches 1 hour to west, Tampa 1 1/2 hours away. Hot as hell in summer, very nice in winter. The town is growing like gangbusters. Plus the 12hrs in your backyard each March!

Quick Reply: OT: where to live?