Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive Impressions - Newly purchased 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 09:32 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Impressions - Newly purchased 944

I have driven the first 300 miles since acquiring this 1985.5 944 NA. Had the timing belt replaced as soon as I got the car, and a 30K mile service. In additon prior to purchase had a PPI done.

First the good:
The cars engine and tranmission are what I believe are the mechanical strong points. I really like the handling and balance to the car. The car shifts great. Brakes are excellent. It is hard to drive the car slow. I engine reving this engine and to get good performance that what it appears you need to do. Engine and drivetrain is completely dry - no leaks.

The Not so Good:
The car is a rattle box. Driving it with no radio the creaks and squeeks even at idle is nerve racking. Don't know how to get to the bottom of it, but I need to fix this. Also the heat is always on. Now that it is frigid I don't mind, but soon I need to address this. I saw an earlier post about a switch, so hopefully that is it. I also have a thumping that becomes noticable at speed ~say 50 - 60mph. It almost feels like a flat. Tires have adaquate pressure. I noticed this on my test drive the owner indicated that it had to do with wheel balancing. This must be fixed. The wheels don't appear to have any dents. Oh yeah - the locking gas cap, filled the car up twice, and now can't get it off. Just spins I can't remove it.

Car is a blast car to drive. It wants to be driven and driven hard. I hope to get the kinks out of it and give it to my daughter. Took her out last Sunday to teach her how to drive a manual tranny. She did well, except starting from a stop on inclines.

Any thoughts or feedback on the problems would be appreciated.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:44 PM
ilikemy944
Going with the pack
is quite monotonous.
Rennlist Member

I'm near atl and can help fix anything if you need any help... The gas cap - hold it still, stick in key, turn key counter clockwise, pull it back out and then cap should rotate off like normal.

Does the thumping get faster as car goes faster? Can you feel it? Does it do it in neutral?
Creaks and squeaks ? Exhaust stuff possibly? Any ideas? Mine is over 180k miles, and no rattles whatsoever (except my dead cat). Something must be loose.
Old 01-07-2004, 09:45 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

The heat could be related to the heater clip porblem. Do a search and you'll find LOADS of stuff. The bumping, flat spots? I don't mean to state the obvious, but hold the cap and turn the key left. That should unlock it. If not, then I don't know where to point you.

Old 01-07-2004, 09:52 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Could be bad wheel bearings. Had a cracked inner race on a rear wheel bearing and sounded like a huge flat spot on an old tire.

Also check that the large nuts on the rear axles are tight. These torque to 350 ft lbs.

I would have a good tire shop look at the wheels first.

Rattles. Yes it can and does. The hatch is a noticeable rattle source specially when the glass starts pulling out of the frame at the top.

Another source of rattling is from the steering link u-joints. If there has been an out of balance tire in the front for any considerable length of time it will wear out the u-joints in the steering link. This is between the steering column and the steering rack. Makes the change of direction.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 01-07-2004 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 122 Likes on 89 Posts

i just drove my brothers 84 944 from the mechanic. i drove my Z28 there.

I know GMs are crap and all, but the 944 had more rattles than the camaro.

The interior and clunk of the door werent as impressive as i remember it being in my 89 S2, and i screwed up my bad knee (again) because on the camaro i dont have to step on the clutch to get out like i do in the 944, and i almost broke my neck because the cuff of my slacks got caught on the brake.

but the rattles, man did they bother me. he may be getting a new car in a few months. i gotta do something about the rattles if im gonna buy it from him, even if it is as another toy.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:06 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Ok, these cars ALWAYS PUMP HEAT!!!! Even when the heat is off!!! THe only way to NOT get heat in is to close all the vents from the switch on them. If you have done that and heat is still REALLY coming in, check the heater clip switch. Its a white little plastic thingy up in the footwell past the accelerator. Other people will be able to help more on that.

Sounds...welcome to the world of german cars! Quirks are always included! After driving my car hard my suspension will actually squeek a little. Its funny. Or sometimes i get a click from the glove box area. Actually i think its my door panel from the last time i took it apart. I wouldnt worry about them too much unless its really really bad sounding and annoying. Enjoy your car!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"These cars always pump heat"???? Uh, on mine you just turn the temp to cold and it hmmmm pumps out cold air. Wierd.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:15 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Funny, my car doesn't put out ANY heat unless I ask it to (then it trys to cook me out of the car till I pop the sunroof). It's likely the $3 heater clip.

One thing noone's mentioned on the thumping are CV joints - I've driven a couple 944's that had them going and they thump and give a vibration to the wheel. Both started at different speeds and were intermitant (for the short time I drove the cars).

As for the creeks/rattles - just start with the known bad one - the rear hatch. Pull the carpet back and ensure that the pin latches are securely bolted to the car, then take a test drive and see if the pins might need to be adjusted tighter. Once I did those 2 things, 70% of my noise dissapeared. I get a little random squeek inside the car from time to time that I can't track down.. those are the annoying ones.

And like the other guys here in Atl, if you need/want some help looking at the small issues, just give the word. I wanna drool over your other toy anyway..
Old 01-07-2004, 11:21 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

My heater clips are brand new. Just replaced them. With the fan controls OFF, hot air still comes through the vents despite where i have the temp. ****. Other 944 owners ive talked to and my mechanic said this was normal? To get NO air, i close the vents. Otherwise when the car is moving, hot air is always coming in. Once the car is stopped the its fine.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:05 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, the ventilation continues even with the fan in the "zero" position, but the temperature should be controlled by the thermostat. By turning the dial towards the blue/lower section, the air coming from the vents should be cooler.

Hatch rattles: one item many of us overlook are the hatch shocks. When was the last time they were replaced on your car? Most likely never. I just replaced mine on the 83 and it's surprising how much quieter the hatch is now.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:23 AM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

No rattles at all on my 87 944S with 191k miles on it. The door close sounds real nice too. Somewhere a PO kept good care of this car. I test drove a 951 with a loose rear window. Now that baby rattled!

My heat comes on strong during warm up. Once the thermostat opens up then the **** with the Degrees C on it works properly. I turn it to the low numbers for cold and the the higher numbers for hot! Yea!

Tom R, Yea I hit my foot on the emergency brake on the way out all the time and wonder who thought that one up. By the way Tom, do you sell Camaros??!!
Old 01-08-2004, 01:32 AM
billatlanta
Racer

Yeah - the gas cap embarrased to say so was user error.

From reading above it maybe CV joints. At slow speed it is not present, but once you get going a bit you hear it, particulary in 4th gear. And it does vary with speed. I need to bring the car back for the free timing belt adjustment, so I may have the guy who serviced it take a closer look at it.

The creaks and rattles sound like they are coming from the passagner side area - not sure if it is the seat or door. Could be the hatch just not sure yet.

Brian and Brad thanks for the offer, anytime you or any other local Atlanta guys want to get together for a drive and check out this (or for Brian my other P car) let me know. Would really be interested in other 944 enthusiasts opinions of the cars condition. Again it is a real blast to drive, with confidence inspiring handling and braking. These cars are the next best thing to a motorcycle.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:39 AM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, you would be surprised how many rattles dissappear when you have a nicely aligned hatch

congrats
Old 01-08-2004, 01:54 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Bill and Brian, I've always found the CV joints to make a harsher "pinging" or clicking sound pulling away from a standstill that eventually becomes too loud to drive the car at all. I recently took apart an axle on my 83, so I know what a bad CV looks like.

OTOH, I've found that a thumping sound at higher speed has generally been associated with wheel bearings going bad. If you raise the rear of the car and try to wiggle each wheel, any play will indicate bad bearings. They could also go bad without any perceivable looseness in the wheel.
Old 01-08-2004, 03:21 AM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Good tips on the rattle issue, so far- of course, hatch backs are harder to keep from rattling than coupes, usually- rattles are usually inherent in their design, BUT, one thing not mentioned- the SR- not sure about manual, so much, but, the electric one has probs from where the little gear boxes are. ALSO, SR's will SQUEEK from the liner rubbing against the roof liner too- try some of these things, w/the hatch area as well, & I'll bet it will help considerably- also,m as mentioned, exhaust hanger parts... My car is noisier than I'd like it to be- it's CERTAINLY not a 540i, but, it's better tha it was & much better than it sounds like your's is... good luck...

Quick Reply: Drive Impressions - Newly purchased 944