Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wax forms....(Whats better)

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 03:22 AM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wax forms....(Whats better)

Whats better? Liquid or paste?
Old 01-05-2004, 03:36 AM
smkn951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

liquid for me, it's easier to apply. though paste seems to give a bit more shine. i use meguires liquid, then buff it out then spray some wet stuff on it and buff it out out again. and it comes out excellent.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:05 AM
Sam Lin
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Zaino, there's no other choice.

Sam
Old 01-05-2004, 05:57 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

paist, imho. also make sure there the wax has no silicone or chemicals in it, as it causes streaking (thats why the zymol we get here in the states suck as it is glorified turtle wax with alot of sythtetics).

ive discovered and fallen in love with the way that griots garage products look -all natural carnuba, no streaking, and if you need to touch it up a bit, spray some speed shine on it.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:04 AM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

what would u all consider P21S, cause whatever that is, its the best out there IMHO.... I have never seen a car shine up like mine after i use that stuff... its by far the best!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:31 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Zymol,
its great stuff, have had no problems at all.
with waxes you need to observe the correct procedures.

Zymol for example, needs to be used on a body temp of no less than 15deg
and streaking is due to using to much wax.
also application is in straightlines, not circles
Old 01-05-2004, 07:14 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

adrian, the zymol you get in the uk is different than the kind we get here in the us. the kind here in the us is cheep stuff with alot of synthetics in it (as i said before, no better than turtle wax). the uk version of zymol is the good stuff.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:26 AM
adrian_jaye
Drifting

really ?

wow !

ok, cheers for pointing that out

Ade
still on UK zymol
Old 01-05-2004, 10:06 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by hoffman912
adrian, the zymol you get in the uk is different than the kind we get here in the us. the kind here in the us is cheep stuff with alot of synthetics in it (as i said before, no better than turtle wax). the uk version of zymol is the good stuff.
That's pretty serious criticism of an American made product. Care to share what you base these claims on? Zymöl is a U.S. company based in Illinois. Why would they sell inferior quality at home?

As for my preference, paste wax all the way. Liquid isn't real wax.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:57 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yes ive heard about the US Zymol being cheap as well. As for application, ive tried it, correctly as you stated, and i did not like it immediately.

Ive never used paste, but i have had great results with liquid. Also, using liquid with an orbital buffer cuts down your wax consumption by at least 80% . So much is wasted when waxing by hand.

Meguiars is my favorite. Here's my reason! (hand application)

Old 01-05-2004, 12:18 PM
Riff
Rennlist Member

Damn Tony, that paint is NICE!!!!!
Old 01-05-2004, 12:24 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

hoffman912 is correct. Do a search on the web about this....Zymol sold in stores here in the US is basically the same as Turtlewax. You can purchase the good Zymol here in the states, but you have to mail order it. I'm sure having a regular (read less expensive) was in the stores here generates more money than a much more expensive product would to the average consumer (who probably buys it and waxes a car once and never again anyway just to try things out).

For me, I'm with Sam. Zaino. That stuff just gets deeper and deeper the more you put on it. Plus, unlike most carnuba waxes, it lasts with its best shine for much longer. This discussion came up on the 928 list sometime back. If you are going to a show and have only a weekend car you can wax before driving each time, a carnuba will give a better shine, but if you actually drive your car for a couple of weeks or so it will have lost its best luster whereas the Zaino lasts much better. I need to do my Zaino again, but unlike every other wax I've ever used, although this is now quite a few months old, it still beads water on the surface VERY well and water runs off the paint like it does off a fresh coat of Rain-X on my windshield.

An NSX group did a big test sometime back of a bunch of different waxes and after a month of being in the weather, they let a bunch of people view and touch and the Zaino was pretty well the hands down winner. Beat out the expensive glaze that they sell for the NSX even.

Sum up: If you weekend drive and have plenty of time, carnuba is better for a weekend. If you live with your car and drive it every day and don't get to wax it every other week, Zaino is more consistent for a longer period of time. Just my $9.51.....
Old 01-05-2004, 02:13 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by turbo944
hoffman912 is correct. Do a search on the web about this....Zymol sold in stores here in the US is basically the same as Turtlewax. You can purchase the good Zymol here in the states, but you have to mail order it. I'm sure having a regular (read less expensive) was in the stores here generates more money than a much more expensive product would to the average consumer (who probably buys it and waxes a car once and never again anyway just to try things out).

For me, I'm with Sam. Zaino. That stuff just gets deeper and deeper the more you put on it. Plus, unlike most carnuba waxes, it lasts with its best shine for much longer. This discussion came up on the 928 list sometime back. If you are going to a show and have only a weekend car you can wax before driving each time, a carnuba will give a better shine, but if you actually drive your car for a couple of weeks or so it will have lost its best luster whereas the Zaino lasts much better. I need to do my Zaino again, but unlike every other wax I've ever used, although this is now quite a few months old, it still beads water on the surface VERY well and water runs off the paint like it does off a fresh coat of Rain-X on my windshield.

An NSX group did a big test sometime back of a bunch of different waxes and after a month of being in the weather, they let a bunch of people view and touch and the Zaino was pretty well the hands down winner. Beat out the expensive glaze that they sell for the NSX even.

Sum up: If you weekend drive and have plenty of time, carnuba is better for a weekend. If you live with your car and drive it every day and don't get to wax it every other week, Zaino is more consistent for a longer period of time. Just my $9.51.....

Zymol sells some of the best products in the world for car care (far higher end stuff then Zaino) So when people come saying that its not the "high end" Zymol it might be true but then again the high end zymol wax is more expensive then alot of old cars. Zymol only makes one liquid wax and thats the cleaner wax produced in Tutle wax factory.
http://www.superiorcarcare.net/zymvinglaz.html
Zymol Vintage Glaze
$1,345.00
Old 01-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how much of that stuff is actually sold?!?
Old 01-05-2004, 02:44 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Yes, ive heard a lot about the Zaino stuff as well. One of the reasons i went orbital buffer is so i can easily wax more often. My S2 is a weekend car and it very very rarely sees any form of unclear weather. (unexpected shower, etc...) My other secret is this... full detail after every 1-2 drives. If nothing ever builds up on the paint, and it is always restored to perfect. I dont have to worry about how long your wax lasts! Wax is done before shows and after winter. (its not driven through the winter weather) I guess im just compulsive about having the whole car look like a mirror at all times. If i had bought a silver or white car like I originally intended, i probably wouldnt be so meticulous.

Quick Reply: Wax forms....(Whats better)