Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

86' 951 for sale

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 01:55 AM
951forsale
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86' 951 for sale

Hello gang,

I have a 1986 red 951 that I have decided to part with. I bought the car in 2000 and have since been slowly changing parts to eventually have a track car. However, I have lost the bug to keep modifying it, and have lost interest in the project. I am looking for a good home to take it over. I think the car would be a great prospect for someone who wants to build it up.

Here is a description:

Body: red, non-original paint, fiberglass roof panel, one small dent right behind left rear tire, 7x16F and 8x16R BBS (RX I believe)

Engine/powertrain: t04E-54 turbo (5000mi on it), all AC stuff gone (compressor gone and tensioning bracket installed in it's place), head rebuilt with 3angle grind (when turbo went in), huntley ecu/klr, lots of new accessories (fuel pressure regulator, etc), 120 psi in all cylinders (at 5500ft)

suspension: koni yellows on all four (<7000mi), 400# coil-overs in front (paragon products kit), stock torsion bar in rear (hadn't gotten to that yet)

Interior: decent condition, nice black leather, black carpet, front seats in great condition, power driver, back seat in excellent condition, boost and afr in center console pocket

The car has been a blast to own for the last few years. I recently bought a 2.7T A6 6spd (for a family car) and have had less of an urge to play with the Porsche lately. Plus, my family and I are likely moving to the Bay area in the next couple of months and would like to have one less car to drag along.

Feel free to ask any details by email. I am also happy to provide pictures. I am not interested in making tons of money from the car. I would like to give it to someone for a low price so they can spend more money on goodies. When I originally bought the car, I knew they were not the best investments. Where I have really made my fortune was with all of the fun I had and knowledge I gained. The car really is pretty fun. In the winter, with the dense air, it will spin tires all the way into 3rd. I never dyno'd it, so don't ask how much power

Thanks,
David
dharrington@comcast.net
Old 01-04-2004, 03:21 AM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Maybe if you bring the car with you to the bay area....
Old 01-04-2004, 07:10 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Price?
Old 01-04-2004, 07:16 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pics?
Old 01-04-2004, 12:16 PM
951forsale
Track Day

Default price and pics

price is really negotiable. Like I said, I am not looking to make money on the thing. Anyone interested can just make an offer and I will get back to them.

Here are a few pics:

The last one kindof shows the back seat. I created a 5-point harness for my son back there.

I can get more pictures up later.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 01-04-2004, 01:17 PM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Cute kid and all, but how much would you sell the car for without the child?

Whats the curb weight of your car?

Regards,
Old 01-04-2004, 02:32 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

Wow gorgeous car...how much
Old 01-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Chris_924s
Nerd Herder
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by sh944
Cute kid and all, but how much would you sell the car for without the child?

Whats the curb weight of your car?

Regards,
Scott- didnt you just get married? I thought you would want a kid by now..

j/k.

Nice looking ride- too bad you lost interest.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:00 PM
MTBarret
Intermediate

How did you create that 5 point harness? Can you email me the details?
Old 01-04-2004, 04:26 PM
v944god
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'll start off the bidding at $3500
Old 01-04-2004, 05:10 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

From what I can see in the pictures, it looks like you took good care of the car. What do you aproximatly expect from the car? There are plently of us here that want it, we just don't think we can afford it. Clear that up for us. I like your ingenuity with the little 5 point harness back there!
~Eyal
Old 01-04-2004, 05:35 PM
Palting
Nordschleife Master

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Hi there. Like everyone else, I'm interested but don't quite know where to begin the bidding process. Make up a number that you would be VERY VERY happy with, then we'll try and see if some of that VERY can be tranferred to the buyer side.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:15 PM
951forsale
Track Day

I haven't been active on forums for a while (over 1.5 years), so I have no idea on the price. I will give all the details that I know, and you guys tell me what you think.

As mentioned above, it has a newer turbo (T04E-54), recently refreshed head (3 angle grind, port matched exhaust manifolds), AC delete (everything but he evaporator), 116K on the ticker, koni yellows all around (single adjustable), coil-overs in front w/400# springs, BBS wheels (see pics, RX I think).

As the pictures show, the car dresses up nicely (it had just been waxed in the pictures).

This is a picture I took of the center console gauges:

Here is the engine bay (taken today) and explanation below:

So as you can see from the above pic, the intake is a little unconventional. I needed a way to adapt the 2 3/4" turbo housing to the little 2" stock intake, so I came up with what you see in the picture. I am still using the stock AFM, so upgrading to stand-alone or even a MAF or MAP would replace this stuff (homebuilt intake) with aftermarket gear. Everything after the turbo is stock on the intake side. Also, you can see an aftermarket blow-off valve. It is vented to the atmosphere, and is adjustable. I made it however, so it would probably be a good thing to replace with something more conventional to make replacing parts easier. Plus, it would be more efficient to plumb it back into the intake, as in the stock setup. The timing belt was done around 105K, along with all other belts. However, I removed the balancing shaft belt around 1k ago, as I wasn't driving it on the street anymore (so I was never at one constant RPM). That actually makes the thing a little peppier. Also, you can see an aftermarket boost-controller. This one works the same as the Lindsey enhancer. I took the cylce valve out, but have a 0mile one available. The wastegate is stock, but is still holding up well. I have only run 17psi of boost, and I notice a little drop-off in the upper RPM, but not much.

I haven't really had issues with the engine. The only problem that it has currently is a leaky rear main seal. The leak isn't too bad (as in the oil level never drops faster than the normal oil consumption), but I have the header and crossover pipe wrapped with insulating wrap (all the way to the turbo), so the thing drips on the wrap, soaks in, so whenever you get the exhaust good and hot, it smokes off the oil. That amounts to a $12 seal (last I checked), but a fair amount of labor. When I changed the clutch, it took me a good 10 hours by myself.

And finally, the cat has been punched out, so to make it technically street legal, you would need to replace it. Nice SS aftermarket cats are less expensive than the stock cat for these cars.

So I guess it all depends on how the car will be used. If it will be a daily driver, you'd probably want to add the balancing belt, maybe AC, cat, and stock or more conventional intake. I know that now there are kits that step the stock j-pipe from 2" to 2 3/4". That is all I can think of at this time. Let me know if there are anymore questions about the car.

So, in conclusion, I have no idea about the price. I suppose I would be happy to get $4000 from it. Much less and I am probably better off keeping it in hopes that the bug will return someday and I can finish it up. However, I really don't know.

The 5-point harness works well. I designed it using a threaded hole under the hatch-area floor mat. That anchors the anti-sub belt, which just loops around the lap belt. The design it pretty simple, but I am sure it would be illegal in most states if not all, because it is not DOT approved. I don't care that it isn't legal, however, because I know it is MUCH more secure than a child seat. Also, I used to sew a lot of climbing gear, so I know my bar-tacks are strong (we would test them all the time).

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday,
Dave
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
MM951
Race Director

--

Last edited by MM951; 01-04-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:23 PM
MM951
Race Director

--

Last edited by MM951; 01-04-2004 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: 86' 951 for sale