Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My "NEW" 944

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2004 | 01:52 PM
Macfreak007
Three Wheelin'

Usually i would say gosh you all are just gving this young guy a hard time, I'm only 17, but really, Freeker, you are going to destroy a 28k mile 944 by doing some crazy stuff. my car has only 60k miles and i still baby it. I never try to get it up to 140. Thats just stupid and childish. Please don't ruin this car. Sell it to someone who really will give it proper treatment. And if you want more power buy a mustang or something, it would be a lot cheaper too probably
Old 01-01-2004 | 04:15 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Default Re: Re: My "NEW" 944

Originally posted by SoCal Driver
I bet that within 6 months the car is bent or the engine is blown up or both.
For once, i couldn't agree more with SoCal...

Jonas
Old 01-01-2004 | 04:31 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

You know, guys, I'm not trying to be a dick or anything, but this guy is a newbie to 944s and simply doesn't seem to really understand what makes these cars tick. Rather than effectively calling him a dumbass, I can't help but think that a more mature approach would be more effective in getting through to him.

Maybe he'll continue to do his original plans anyway. And if he does, well, so be it. It's his car and he can destroy it as he sees fit. However, if we have an intelligent discussion with him rather than simply lecturing him, he'll probably be more likely to learn from what we can teach him.

I mean, hey, that approach works wonders with my students every day.

BB.
Old 01-01-2004 | 04:56 PM
Eyal 951
Nordschleife Master

The point everyone is trying to get across to you is that your not getting anywhere near 5 seconds without forced induction, and even still, you'll need to do more work. The car is a rare example of a low milleage cherry 944, it should be kept that way whether you want to do it or not. At your age, its not very easy to not drive the sh*t out of whatever car you have, but with a 944, you have much more of a responsibility on your shoulders then say a civic. I'm not telling you to buy a civic. Just drive sane on the streets, and leave the antics for the track. I don't know if you know the expenses heading your way, at 16, unless mommy and daddy are paying, or you do your own wrenching, a T-belt/water pump relacement, plus a head gasket eventually, cluth, etc etc etc... It gets quite spendy, EVEN at 28K. The car is 20 years old, time takes its tole. Either sell it, keep it stock and RESPECT it like it was a concourse car, or sell it and buy a turbo, where you can surpass your 5 second goals with not to much work. However it is your car, and your money (or your parents) so you can lift it a foot and throw nos on it if you wanted... BTW, do NOT throw nos on the car.
~Eyal
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:09 PM
fezz
Burning Brakes

at sixteen, my first car was a 72 pinto with 100k on the clock that my dad sold to me for a buck. 6 months later, i was driving a 69 stingray rag top. for various mechanical reasons it was sold 3 months later, but i recall feeling real good when i was driving it.

my parents gave me a little grief about buying that "sports" car, and they questioned why a 16 year old should drive a car like that - but in the end they agreed to let me purchase it. But, there was a good reason why - i was responsible and typically used good judgement.

I dont know you feeker, so i will not make any judgements. but i do know that you are young, and so far, not giving me the impression you are responsible (if the 140 thing is for real or not). do what you want with the car. if your asking for an opinion, here's one - if you value the porsche you've been able to get your hands onto - think about keeping the engine, tranny, interior/exterior UNMOLESTED. focus ANY upgrades to SUSPENSION, BRAKES and WHEELS. Spend the rest of your money on excellent maintenance. Drive the car with respect for yourself, others, and lastly, the car. TIFWIW
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:12 PM
Scootin159
Drifting

Default Re: My "NEW" 944

Hmm...where to begin with this one:

Originally posted by Freeker
I am 16 and about 3 months ago I got a 1984 944 N/A with only 28k miles! It had 1 owner (A doctor) and I have all records for it! This car is cherry :P.
Sounds like a nice car. 28k sounds like it belongs in a museum. One word of warning though is that it also means a lot of parts on the car probably haven't been touched in 20 years. I'd do a timing belt job NOW, the rubber is probably rotted, and if that breaks you'll have a brand new blown enigne. I'd even feel nervous driving it to the shop to get this done and probably would've had it towed there from wherever I bought it.
Do a search on here about timing belts & you'll hear plenty of horror stories.
Also consider new tires as the old ones are also probably on their last leg. It would be totally idiotic to drive a car 140mph on 20 year old tires. You're lucky your tires didn't break apart at those speeds.

Anyways it is a 5 speed of course, and like every other 944 owner I want more POWER!
Actually it sounds like a 944 isn't for you. These cars aren't about power. If you really want serious power, get a 951(944 turbo), S2 or 968.

So far I changed my plugs to Boch Plantium+4's, took power steering off, and changed my mufler to a glass pack. Now my car tops out at around 140. I took a SE-R (not spec v) off the line and the rest of the way! So I should be in the mid 7's for 0-60. I want to be in the low 5's even if it is asking alot.
The Platinum+4's are just a waste of money and are probably actually hurting your car's performance (the spark is still only going to jump to the closest of the 4 tips and the other 3 will just get in the way of the flame). Just get some good copper plugs next time & save some $$.

Anyway my next thing is a K@N filter so don't flame me since I don't have one yet and I am wondering what to do after that (scratches head).
Still got a paper filter in mine. If ya don't keep the K&N properly oiled it won't filter correctly and will allow dust into your enigne (BAD). Plus the filter on these cars is big enough that a K&N really won't add any performance to it (and might even hurt).

Can anyone help me?
I'd say take off the glasspack muffler and put back on the OEM one (hopefully you didn't hack up the tailpipe in your install). I'd then sell the car to a museum or collector who really appreciates what a 944 is. Take the money from that and buy a 951 (with about 100k miles on it, but still in good shape), that will get ya 220hp from the start, and then add a chip, MAF and the SFR exhaust and you could have close to 280hp (almost DOUBLE what your 944 has), a MUCH better sound and better suspension and brakes to boot. Find the right buyer for that 944 and you might even have some cash left over to put some 17" wheels on it (don't go bigger than 17 though, and try to stay with Porsche wheels, not cheep knock-offs).

(Forgot for you audio freeks I changed the deck to some sony x-pload 4x50 watt with equalizer, stock speakers in front doors 6x9's in rear about to be on a amp, and a sony x-pload 12" 1200 watt sub on a rocksford fosgate 600watt punch amp, the whole car shakes
Taking out this stuff, as well as the spare tire will do more to help your car go faster than about $1000 in engine work.
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:25 PM
Dmitry S.
Rennlist Member

If it's an 84, the odometer might have rolled over (only goes to 5 digits) and the actual milage of the car might be 128k.
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:46 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I couldn't really give a crap what he does to a 28k mile 944, but i do care that he doesn't kill himself being a 16 year old idiot driving 140mph, or killing someone else for that matter. I think it takes quite a few years, not only behind the wheel, but in life as well to realize if and where you should be pushing the gas pedal to the ground. I agree though with people to an extent though, if the mileage is really that low, keep it that way and you might make some money when you sell it, and bump up into something more powerful like a 951, but that is up to you. Learn how to drive first (and i know you probably think you know how to drive, i mean after all you have been driving for all of a year now right), before worrying about breaking speed limits or spinning the tires off the line. Your body is a lot harder to fix than a 4 wheel hunk of metal is.
Old 01-01-2004 | 05:56 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

Isn't there a law against F'ing up low mileage cars like this one?

Since when was the last time they asked to see ID at a PCA event? I saw a kid once whom looked like he was in 8th grade at a PCA autoX once. They didnt even ask how old he was.

And to get in touch with the 16 and 17 year olds here, let me be the first to say:

please cut out the bling bling yo yo!

Christian
Old 01-01-2004 | 06:10 PM
MM951
Race Director

Hey man, I'm 17 but I like keeping my car all Porsche and in good taste
Old 01-01-2004 | 06:14 PM
DerSchlechtSpecht
Three Wheelin'

I wish I had that kind of sense when I was 17!

Christian
Old 01-01-2004 | 06:33 PM
ErichCS
Three Wheelin'

Welcome to the list Freeker! As with most first posters recently you kinda need to start off on defense when you post things about the excessive speeds you drive on the road.

My first thought about the mileage of this car is that it could easily be wrong, as this car is an 84 similar to my 924S the odometer only have 5 digits. So the odometer could have already turned over. I would pour over the records and run a car fax and verify the mileage. Also, when you say you have all the records does that mean you have evidence that the timing/camshaft belt were changed?? IF NOT DO IT NOW!

If you truly want more power search thru the forum and see what people say. The general answer is sell and buy a turbo, or buy a turbo engine and shoehorn it in But realistically you wont be doing anything big for cheap!

Also, nobody is generally impressed or enjoys hearing silly drag racing stories. So please keep those between you and your friends. Most of us know what these cars can and cant do(<--Nexoline et al dec 03).

Anyway again welcome to the forum, hope you didnt get run off after your first post, as other have said some pics would be cool
-Erich
Old 01-01-2004 | 08:14 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

"Please cut out the bling bling yo yo!!"

HAHAHA
Nicely put Christian
Old 01-01-2004 | 08:30 PM
RobbyK
Pro

From: The mistake on the lake other wise known as Erie PA

Dont bad mouth all the young ones here. Im one of them and have just spent a hell of alot of money to do the dash the right way and keep the car as much of a true porsche as possible. You will not be seeing a type S stickers on my car.
Old 01-01-2004 | 09:07 PM
Jonas Goldsmith
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by RobbyK
You will not be seeing a type S stickers on my car.
Is it bad that mine has an "S" badge on it?

Quick Reply: My "NEW" 944