Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

83 944 Wrong Water Pump sent???

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 10:40 PM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down 83 944 Wrong Water Pump sent???

Hi all,

Doing a water pump change on a 1983 944 and getting things put back together.
When I put the cam belt idler roller back in place, the first thing I noticed is the roller is touching the plastic belt guard and can't turn very easily.
Then when I got the belts back on, I noticed the cam roller has a good 1/2 inch gap between it and the cam belt. Not good I'm thinking. I wonder if Ian's 944 sent me the wrong water pump or maybe its a defective casting. Any suggestions? Should I replace it with a larger roller or how important is it that the roller make contact with the belt? I took measurements and yup the mounting hole is not in the same place as the oem pump. Also since we are talking about Ian's anyone else have any issues?

let me know what you think. thanks
Old 04-09-2018, 11:47 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 662 Likes on 515 Posts

Ian doesn't make mistakes...these cars are in that guy's blood.

Is your roller grey metal, or is it black plastic with red/orange bearing?
Old 04-10-2018, 08:22 AM
tc944
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just did the same job to an 84 a month ago. Got all of my parts from Ian, he is awesome to work with. The rear cover on the older car has to be modified when you change to the new style pump. I just held it in place and marked it with a paint stick and attacked it with a Dremel.

Last edited by tc944; 04-10-2018 at 10:24 AM.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:44 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 304 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Ian doesn't make mistakes...these cars are in that guy's blood.
Actually, he does.

Somehow or another, the box of parking brake shoes he sent me last winter had a pair of used ones in it.

Totally shot.

However, a quick phone call and new ones were on the way. No questions asked.
Old 04-10-2018, 12:21 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Here you go...

Old 04-10-2018, 01:08 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Actually, he does.

Somehow or another, the box of parking brake shoes he sent me last winter had a pair of used ones in it.

Totally shot.

However, a quick phone call and new ones were on the way. No questions asked.
"certified preowned"
Old 04-11-2018, 01:56 AM
toddbailey
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update.... Emailed Ian and in theory the wrong water pump was indeed sent. Ian sent me the "new & improved" version water pump and yes it uses a larger diameter roller.
I don't see a reason why this change was made, since I never had any issues with the original design. but whatever
I was expecting a oem style pump. so now I have to replace the old roller with the new size, A bit perturbed with this since the original design parts were fine, only had a issues with the water pump and started leaking a bit.
I guess there is also a guide plate that if I knew all this before hand would be an additional part to order. but in my haste to get things back together, the 2 mounting posts were removed. I figured the pump being a 83 to 85 + version used the automatic tensioner that I assumed used these posts. They were removed because the back belt cover could not be installed with the posts intact. so I'll buy a new roller but have to pass on the guide plate. I hope there won't be any issues with this plan, I don't have any choice anyway.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:38 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You best be installing that belt guard or you will rip the teeth off of the new belt!!!
It's mandatory with the updated pump/roller because the belts run so close together with the newer design. I guess that you don't read the forum much. The updated pump is pretty much common knowledge. Also you should be replacing all the rollers when replacing the belts.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:50 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by toddbailey
Update.... Emailed Ian and in theory the wrong water pump was indeed sent. Ian sent me the "new & improved" version water pump and yes it uses a larger diameter roller.
I don't see a reason why this change was made, since I never had any issues with the original design. but whatever
I was expecting a oem style pump. so now I have to replace the old roller with the new size, A bit perturbed with this since the original design parts were fine, only had a issues with the water pump and started leaking a bit.
I guess there is also a guide plate that if I knew all this before hand would be an additional part to order. but in my haste to get things back together, the 2 mounting posts were removed. I figured the pump being a 83 to 85 + version used the automatic tensioner that I assumed used these posts. They were removed because the back belt cover could not be installed with the posts intact. so I'll buy a new roller but have to pass on the guide plate. I hope there won't be any issues with this plan, I don't have any choice anyway.
the updated pump was introduced in maybe 1984 or 1985 because teeth on the timing belt going opposite directions could snag eachother if the belt wasnt tensioned right.
as you saw the guide bar thing keeps the teeth separated from eachother. the larger roller was only enlarged and relocated to keep the belt riding close to that guide bar.

there is no reason whatsoever to run an original style 1983 or whatever vintage pump - i really dont understand why those are even on the market still.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:35 AM
curtisr
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

I've been sent a 924 brake caliper for my 924s and an incorrect water pump before. The first hint should have been the impeller size difference!

Quick Reply: 83 944 Wrong Water Pump sent???