Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing Classic Cars - Wayne buys an original 9,000 mile 86

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2018, 10:25 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts
Default Chasing Classic Cars - Wayne buys an original 9,000 mile 86

Need a cable subscription to watch it:
https://www.velocity.com/tv-shows/ch...-a-944-porsche

Wayne found an original 9,000 mile 1986 944 in Pennsylvanian that hasn't been run in many years. His wrench Roger got it going and sold to a car collector friend.

Best quote from Roger: "It's a non running 944, it is not a turbo, thank God for that"

Facebook Post

--

Old 04-09-2018, 01:40 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for sharing this with us ~

Capt. Ray Noble, are you here ?
If so, tell us more !
Old 04-10-2018, 11:14 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DVR'd it when it aired.
That way I could only see the scenes with the car and awesome Roger, and skip over all the unwatchable segments that contain Wayne.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:26 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
skip over all the unwatchable segments that contain Wayne.
So true!
Old 04-11-2018, 06:45 AM
CVR_Rally
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw this car a couple years ago. He was asking a ludicrous sum back then.
Old 04-11-2018, 08:40 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by neunfünfeins
That way I could only see the scenes with the car and awesome Roger, and skip over all the unwatchable segments that contain Wayne.
Good to see I'm not the only one. Roger should have his own show.
Old 04-11-2018, 01:51 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Why all the 'hate' on Wayne ?

I met him at Cavallino a few years ago, and he was filming a segment on the Ferrari he and Ralph had put together.

In the 'off segment' moments, he pulled me along side a couple of other Ferraris owned by some very notable figures, and discussed at length with a very knowledgeable, non condescending attitude, the nuances of the Daytona he was prepping compared to those. We walked over to the prototype of Pink Floyd's Nick Mason, and he pointed out many features I would have never known to look at to separate the pre-production to the 'factory on the line built' cars.

He really is no different from the rest of the enthusiast world; we all have our own personalities which may or may not attract the notice of another. I was quite thankful for the time he spent with me and saw nothing that would have made me think he was anything different than you. Or you. Or you. Certainly he is a different guy than me, but then most folks are......( I am not a buyer and a seller, not a 'flipper', but rather a collector, an enthusiast, and a person who enjoys himself at the track when I can ).

( yes, the name fits the frame, all that's missing is the bibs and straw hat.... and Capt Kangaroo )
Old 04-11-2018, 01:52 PM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
What was 'ask' , the ludricrous sum ?
Old 04-11-2018, 02:03 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mrgreenjeans
Why all the 'hate' on Wayne ?
​​​​​​

Because the only thing he chases is the dollar.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:17 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by CVR_Rally
Ludicrous by today's standards or back when air cooled 911's were worth less than used Honda's?

Originally Posted by marc abrams
​​​​​​Because the only thing he chases is the dollar.
.....he owns a business buying & selling cars, that seems like a great way to stay in business.

I guess you've missed the many episodes where whatever he was doing raised money for autism awareness.

His knowledge, reputation, and resources are very valuable. Only a fool wouldn't try to capitalize on that. He didn't get to where he is by accident.
Old 04-11-2018, 02:58 PM
BigLou
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I've saw that episode also. Nice looking 944. Roger is pretty funny. Reminds of a guy who worked for my Dad when I was younger.
Old 04-11-2018, 04:15 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr

.....he owns a business buying & selling cars, that seems like a great way to stay in business.

I guess you've missed the many episodes where whatever he was doing raised money for autism awareness.

His knowledge, reputation, and resources are very valuable. Only a fool wouldn't try to capitalize on that. He didn't get to where he is by accident.
​​​​​​
He doesn't strike me as a car enthusiast but more of a business man. I don't doubt he knowledgeable, but so is a realtor who sells houses. I just love it when he says he's going to look at a car for widow to help her out. Yea right. Now a guy like Jay Leno is a true car enthusiast. You can tell he loves old cars. He's also got a sense of humor.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:06 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

​​​​​​He doesn't strike me as a car enthusiast but more of a business man. I don't doubt he knowledgeable, but so is a realtor who sells houses.
I now a lot of realtors and most do not know much about houses, that is what the inspectors and appraisers are for.

I'm also friends with a lot of people just like Wayne, and all of them are hard core car enthusiasts. I've seen every episode of Wayne's show and IMO he's a "car guys" car guy. I don't see how anyone could be that successful in such a field without having a passion for it. Much "easier" to just work with late model stuff and rack in the money. He takes on some hugs risks with some of his "flips".

Jay Leno is a comedian first, not sure how he fits into this comparison. He's also a collector, not someone who's trying to make a living in the vintage car business.

There are a lot of snakes in this business, most do not last very long. Word gets out quick and nobody will work with you anymore.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:20 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Hacker-Pschorr
I now a lot of realtors and most do not know much about houses, that is what the inspectors and appraisers are for.

I'm also friends with a lot of people just like Wayne, and all of them are hard core car enthusiasts. I've seen every episode of Wayne's show and IMO he's a "car guys" car guy. I don't see how anyone could be that successful in such a field without having a passion for it. Much "easier" to just work with late model stuff and rack in the money. He takes on some hugs risks with some of his "flips".

Jay Leno is a comedian first, not sure how he fits into this comparison. He's also a collector, not someone who's trying to make a living in the vintage car business.

There are a lot of snakes in this business, most do not last very long. Word gets out quick and nobody will work with you anymore.
​​​​​​
​​​​Wayne never gets emotional about any of the cars he sees. He just gives a brief history in his monotone voice while he thinking how much he can flip this one for. Jay however talks about his cars with enthusiasm and knows his stuff too. Jay goes to local car shows with a Chrysler turbine car for the fun of it. How cool is that? Wayne goes to pebble beach to get an award and to sell his stuff. And who would you rather have a beer with?
Old 04-11-2018, 06:47 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

​​​​​​
​​​​Wayne never gets emotional about any of the cars he sees. He just gives a brief history in his monotone voice while he thinking how much he can flip this one for. Jay however talks about his cars with enthusiasm and knows his stuff too. Jay goes to local car shows with a Chrysler turbine car for the fun of it. How cool is that? Wayne goes to pebble beach to get an award and to sell his stuff. And who would you rather have a beer with?
I'd love a chance to hang out with either one.

Sorry, your comparison is silly. The two shows couldn't be more different. One is about a guy who's job is buying / selling cars. The other is a more like a documentary on one model for 20-60 minutes.

I get it, you don't like Wayne. But to insinuate he's just some used car dealer is ridiculous.

Jay doesn't seem to have any issues with Wayne:

Quick Reply: Chasing Classic Cars - Wayne buys an original 9,000 mile 86