Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chasing Classic Cars - Wayne buys an original 9,000 mile 86

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 11:22 PM
neunfünfeins
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by will951
I can answer this too! It actually started with a Discovery HD show called "Secret Club of Speed." It was focused on a group of guys racing their Ferraris at Limerock Park in CT. This group happens to be the "team" my father is a part of....Team Pilota. There was quite a bit of interest in the show and the producer was asked to do more. The guys in the Ferrari group pointed Essex Television Group to Wayne. The rest is history. I can remember Wayne coming to my office to drop off a copy of his first season.....probably still have it if I dig around.
Neat. My takeaway from the various anecdotes is that Wayne is much a better guy to know than to watch on TV.
Old 04-18-2018, 02:22 AM
mrgreenjeans
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by will951
Yes....the P540 superfast aperta! I have not seen the car since.....probably just sitting in a collection somewhere.
I overheard someone telling Roger Penske that day, the owner is one of the nation's first cable television providers; or rather his father was. And his portion of the 'world's gold deposits' in that field allowed him to make such choices in automobiles...... ( and Roger had to be content with only bringing his 5 mile FXX there ).

I follow the current value in the Cavallino guide and it's not a real cheap Prancing Horse. I cannot imagine having the jones to make a call to Maranello, ask for a designer to work with you in building your car, and be assured it will be the only one ever built, just the way you want it. It's also been done before for a guy in Japan and another in the Mideast..... on intro that day, it seems it took a bit over a year and a half to complete according to the announcer.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:37 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts

CCC has been a great window into some of the American classic car scene from here in the UK .
This thread has answered any misgivings i had about Wayne - thanks , its great to hear first hand stories .
Roger is beyond doubt super cool

Quick Reply: Chasing Classic Cars - Wayne buys an original 9,000 mile 86