Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thought on this S2 for sale?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 07:43 PM
fasteddie313
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Thought on this S2 for sale?

https://nmi.craigslist.org/cto/d/por...549529568.html

This is a pretty decent looking car, I have inspected it a couple times through the windows but never talked to the guy because noone was ever there..
I think they were asking like 7 for it, now 5..

What do you figure this thing is worth? What is the part out value of an S2?
If I can but the thing for a grand or 2 under what I could sell it for I might, or if part out value is enough to lessen my risk, you know what I mean..

Anyone else interested in this car? At what price? I wouldn't mind test driving it and maybe seeing how much I could beat the guy up on price..
I might be up for driving it somewhere if someone wants it, supposed to have a new FOES..

Thoughts?
Old 04-07-2018, 01:23 AM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Please don't buy that S2 with the intention of parting it.
They are getting too rare and this one has had reasonable care.
If it runs well, which for the mileage it should, it would be a great daily driver.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:51 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It's a pretty good price. Blue isn't my favorite. The interior looks very good. Doors are almost always something that need work, not expensive but time consuming until you've done it a few times.

I'd say it was worth 7 and a fair bargain at 5. Way too nice to part out so if you don't want to restore it I'd look for something that's already been restored, expect to pay between 15 and 20 for a ground up restoration.
Old 04-07-2018, 04:27 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

It doesn't say service records are available, but it they are and it shows the clutch has been replaced recently that would be a real bargain at 5. It's pretty easy to spend 5000 on suspension and drive train parts, if those have already been refreshed I'd say buy it before someone else does. From the ad, the front end was refreshed recently, that's a big plus too.
Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 AM
2001f4s
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Salvage Title
Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Looks like it used to be Zermatt? It looks like a good driver, maybe DE car. Price seems fine from here but if it needs an oil pan gasket, engine mounts, or something on that scale maybe it should go a bit closer to $4K. Tensioner and chain need to be checked and possibly replaced asap. If I was pulling the cams I'd probably pull the head to do the head gasket, valve seals, etc. while I was at it. If the chain is OK I'd just put a top pad in it and run it (hard) for a few years.
If I was doing the engine mounts I'd probably do the oil pan gasket and rod bearings. But honestly it might be good to just drive for a few years, I just want to give a sense for the scope of work on cars in this age/mileage range.

-Joel.
Old 04-07-2018, 12:01 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 103 Likes on 76 Posts

if it was in CO, I would be interested in it for a DE car. It would get a set of Koni Sports, some small other suspension mods, and everything Joel just said. Before you know it I would have 10 grand into it, and a salvage title. How much would one with the original color paint and no salvage title go for?

See the circle where this is going?
Old 04-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

Any car you set up the suspension on is going to eat some cash, likewise if you go crazy on the maintenance in order to avoid missing track days. The beauty of an inexpensive car with a branded title for DE is a lot less worry about it getting damaged, the sunk cost is closer to the parts value from day 1.

My first S2 was pretty cheap, maybe $5500 in the early 2000's, and I spent $2K plus on it doing catch-up maintenance within days. At that point it I was probably upside-down on it. Then it got backed into at an AutoX school.
Yeah you may owe $2000 in catch-up on this example but that doesn't mean you can find another one for $7K where it's all done and the title is clean.

Anyway it's not a car you could flip for profit or an investment-grade example but it might be a lot of fun if there are no terrible surprises. Stock S2s are great for AutoX and DE if you aren't concerned about winning and nothing is worn out to the point of causing trouble. Just add tires and good brake fluid.
Old 04-07-2018, 02:56 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Get the VIN number and Google it. You can often find the photos from the salvage auction showing a rough idea of what happened to it.

The 924s I recently bought was salvaged in the late 90's and I was able to get photos. Upon closer inspection it turned out the damage was minor but not repaired correctly but also nothing I can't fix for minimal cost. But I wouldn't have discovered the issues if I hadn't seen the pictures.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:18 PM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by 2001f4s
Salvage Title
Not sure how that matters on a car of this age.

I called the guy about a month ago and we talked for about half an hour. I wanted to get a friend that lives within an hour to look at the car. It didn't happen.

I just called the owner and it sold today to a guy that flew in from Chicago.

Not a total loss though. I picked up this beauty (west of Chicago) this past weekend...

Basically a rolling shell. Most of the metal is there and the two main pieces of glass.

Quick Reply: Thought on this S2 for sale?