Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear ended on X-mas

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 08:00 AM
aach
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear ended on X-mas

Well, it was really on christmas eve, I didn't find out about my car being hit in my parking lot of my apartment until the day after christmas. I would put pictures up, but don't have a digital camera, but basically someone slid on a patch of ice trying to park next to me (idiot) and hit my rear drivers corner, punching a nice dent right below the tail light, and above the plastic part of the bumper, cracking the tail light, cauing a huge mess.
Luckly, he put his information on my windshield, and it didn't fly off during the 3 days or so I didn't drive my car. He wanted to pay out of pocket, thinking it would be about $500 and asked for me to get an estimate. I ended up getting his insurance info, and decided to just go through his insurance.

Allstate is his insurance, they had me get an estimate through their "drive up" garage thingy. Total amount of damange they said was $497, and that I could choose anyplace I wanted to get it done, and if they needed more money they could call and get more money. However the place I went to get an estimate at said it was a $1500 job, and they inthe past all state rejected them. I guess if I want it fixed, I'll have to go to a place that will work with allstate.

However, I was told that I should take the money and run, or put it in the mechanics of the car. Any thoughts on that?
Old 12-30-2003, 08:05 AM
Luis de Prat
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hi,
Sorry to hear the bad news, particularly during this time of year. Ironically, I had the exact same accident with my 83 in a parking lot also, when someone wasn't paying attention. I had it repaired at the dealer and it came out to somewhere around $700 but this was back in 1997.

In my case, the other person's insurance paid the whole claim. I think a good body shop could probably fix it for the amount you're being offered. Just don't go to the dealer, like I did.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:54 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it wierd that you can't take it to any repair shop that you prefer.

In Sweden this would be a matter solved betwen insurance companies and the guy hitting your car only pays for whatever is agreed betwen him and his insurance company.

It's a Porsche and should be repaired professionaly to maintain the same rust protection as it did before the accident. I'd gladly hand the car over to the dealer and let them fix it on the other guys behalf.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:25 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

AllSnakes has "deals" with body shops in that they give a low estimate to the victim and then deal with their body shops on further costs. So if you want to be bought off you have to accept AllSnakes low offer or go to "their" shops.

The only way around this is to go to other body shops and ask for an independent estimate NOT mentioning ANY insurance companies then take them to small claims. Don't even try to bicker with them.

Took me over 4 months to get them to pay on a rear ender.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:39 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I agree with SoCal and Sweanders. From your description, there is no way that can be repaired properly by the bodyshop for $497, even sourcing a used tailight assembly.

Don't give in to them, get 2 more estimates from competant shops without mentioning allstate. Then go back to the insurance company and present them with your findings. It's not your fault your auto was struck, and furthermore you did not make a deal with allstate that involved fine print in a policy, it was the other guy that hit you that did that........
Old 12-30-2003, 09:43 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

You have a bit of a problem with that small print. Take a look at your insurance contract and you will see there is some reciprocity between the insurance companies. I call it collusion. You may be tied at the reproductive extremities to a deal.
Old 12-30-2003, 09:45 AM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have coverage on this from your own insurance company you should get them involved and let them haggle with AllSnakes or whatever they were called.

If something like this happens to me with the insurance I have now I'd just drop the car off at any place I chose and have the insurance company cover 75% of the cost of renting a car while it get's fixed. Or I could fix it myself and get paid for the working hours and material.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:00 AM
James86-951
Pro

If it is worth it. You can also go after depreciation. That is common with newer cars, and technically, you do have a collector car based on the marque alone. That should squeak out a little more money.

If you decide to get the car fixed, the body shop can submit an additional request for repair. (A supplemental) The next things to look at is which manual they used to base the repair, labor rate, etc. Go through their estimate and pick it apart. Contact the claims adjuster and work on him. As long as you have legitimate information, you can get something out of him. (A rental during repairs, or the money for the rental, is not out of the question.)
Old 12-30-2003, 10:07 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Extreme suckage, and a hassle!

I didn't think that insurance companies were even allowed to tell you where to go, are they? I can understand how they would not let you go to an uber-expensive place, but if you have several estimates all saying that $1.5k is about the norm, then it shouldn't be a problem. Also, it probably wouldn't hurt to talk to your insurance company to get an idea of what the state's laws are.

If it makes you feel any better (and it probably won't), at least the guy was responsible enough to leave a note. Of the nine times my car has been hit (seven on the road, two while parked) not once has the person who hit me ever paid for it...

BB.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:25 AM
PrerYDoG
Pro

Take the advice on here to go to your insurance company. When I had this happen to me (my car was sideswiped while parked at my fiance's) I called my insurance company, who told me to go get it fixed, and I gave them the info of the person that hit me (she had left it on my windshield). My insurance company paid for the repairs then went to the other insurance company for money back. It was simple, easy to deal with, no hassles. Do it this way, you pay your insurance company to deal with this stuff, put them to work doing what they do best.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:57 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Heard of a parking lot collision where the hitter left the hittiee a note.

It said; "I'm leaving you a note because other people are watching me. Sorry about hitting your car. Hope your insurance company covers it."
Old 12-30-2003, 03:59 PM
aach
Advanced

so, you think I should ask all state to get me more money? or just let their body shop do the work?
this just totally blows.. I think its time for me to get my mind off this BS crap.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:23 PM
PrerYDoG
Pro

You need to call your insurance company, tell them you were hit and give them the drivers information of the person that hit you. You're insurance company (being worth a damn) will tell you to go get it fixed wherever you want/need to, they'll pick up the tab, and then they will bill the other persons insurance company for it.

Hassle free as it's gonna get
Old 12-30-2003, 04:52 PM
Mark Parker
Burning Brakes

The shop you choose is completely up to you. If you can, try to find an import specialty shop which is a "direct repair shop" for Allstate. That's a shop which Allstate has a relationship with, and whose estimate will be honored. It takes some of the hassle out of the process. You're better off with someone who's familiar with Porsche, or at least with european imports.
Old 12-30-2003, 10:06 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

where are you in indiana? im in cincy, maybe i can fix it cheaper for ya...we have some parts also..nine-44 that is.

Quick Reply: Rear ended on X-mas