Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Lead on 951 Short Block - or rebuild guidance

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:09 PM
Bob Patterson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need Lead on 951 Short Block - or rebuild guidance

Well, I junked out number four cylinder - scored it so badly it essentially froze the engine. So it's time to either bore or find a new block.

This is a race application - EMS system, larger turbo, etc., and so it will get hard use. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the best piston / bore scheme for the 86, or for any leads one might have on a new block.

thanks much,
Old 12-29-2003, 12:48 PM
Dave
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Std overbore is only .5 mm, it sounds like it might be damaged beyond that. You have a number of options at different price points ranging from a used shortblock to a sleeved and stroked 3.2 liter. An idea of what you're looking to put into it might help.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:24 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,042 Likes on 535 Posts

Check with Chris White if you decide to bore and sleeve. A fiend went that route last summer and the work was first rate.

Alan C.
Old 12-29-2003, 08:22 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump to the front
Old 12-30-2003, 02:42 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Default Re: Need Lead on 951 Short Block - or rebuild guidance

Originally posted by Bob Patterson
Well, I junked out number four cylinder - scored it so badly it essentially froze the engine. So it's time to either bore or find a new block.

This is a race application - EMS system, larger turbo, etc., and so it will get hard use. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on the best piston / bore scheme for the 86, or for any leads one might have on a new block.
Bob, I am very sorry to hear about your unfortunate problem with your engine. Can you give us any additional details regarding what you believe may have caused the failure?

Best regards,
Jeff
Old 12-31-2003, 12:30 AM
Bob Patterson
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well - I put this under "stupid human tricks". Installed an EMS, been building the car for a year (but no engine work to speak of), and stupidly left paper towels under the tape over the intakes in the head. So, cranked some paper through the cylinders, suspect I rocked a piston, and viola, we have some very scored pistons.

Makes me wish I'd bought your engine when it was available, Jeff. I've always had a sweet spot for that unit. How's your ride coming?
Old 12-31-2003, 12:57 AM
Bob Patterson
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm looking at a SFR 2.8 litre, but understand there may be oil sealing problems - in the form of ring blow-by. Uncertain...some concerns clearly. My thanks to a lister who brought that up. Good man - even called to talk with me about it.

EBS suggested a bore to 102, and use of J&E pistons (but I believe they need some coating to do that right...so I've got a couple rocks to turn over there). John Anderson has been super, and suggests a basic stock lower end, with full boat crank work...but letting it go at that. Says they're basically rock solid engines.

My range today, in terms of options as I sit here, run from fixing up an NA block at minimal expense, using my internals and running down a set of decent but used number 1 pistons, and just ringing the thing and hoping for the best - for maybe $2k, to the $5k SFR deal (which may not be a good deal at all), or something in between with EBS and / or John Anderson, both of which set me up with a solid short block for maybe $2.5k

Since it's track only...it's not a daily driver, and working on this is supposed to be stress relief, I really don't mind the garage time. Conversely, it's damn stressful to be fighting demons at the track after a day or two's prep, and a several hundred mile tow, so I'd like a reliable, a preferrably 2.6 litre or less engine...

Suggestions?
Old 12-31-2003, 05:54 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally posted by Bob Patterson
Well - I put this under "stupid human tricks". Installed an EMS, been building the car for a year (but no engine work to speak of), and stupidly left paper towels under the tape over the intakes in the head. So, cranked some paper through the cylinders, suspect I rocked a piston, and viola, we have some very scored pistons.

Makes me wish I'd bought your engine when it was available, Jeff. I've always had a sweet spot for that unit. How's your ride coming?
Wow, that is a major bummer. The paper towel probably crossed your mind the second you cranked the engine over but by then it was probably too late. I have performed similar stupid human tricks so you are not alone.

Regarding your engine, I would recommend staying completely stock. Alan Coleman has a completely stock bottom end in his track car along with an upgraded turbo, EMS and fuel system. His engine produces close to 400hp to the rear wheels on a regular basis with no problems. If you move away from stock, be prepared for additional costs and reliability issues.

The bug has bitten me BAD and I am building a fairly extreme engine. I am starting with a 968 block and sleeving the bore down to 4.0 inches with ductile iron sleeves and running custom pistons and rods. I am using the short throw standard 944/951 crank so my final displacement will be just under 2.6 liters. I will be running no balance shafts and a 16 valve head. The engine will be dry sumped with a custom turbo, stand alone EMS, upgraded fuel system, custom intake, custom intercooler, custom radiator, custom oil coolers, etc, etc.

Regarding my Huntley engine, since no one bought it, I have been parting it out. I sold the cylinder head, cam cover and Pauter rods. I am planning to use the lightened crank in my new engine project. I still have the 1989 Turbo block (powder coated Speed Yellow and modified to delete the balance shafts) that I might consider selling. It has perfect bores and matching pistons, rings (brand new) and crank girdle that are in excellent condition.

Bob, I hope 2004 turns out to be a much better year for you!!!!

Best regards,
Jeff
Old 12-31-2003, 09:49 PM
John Anderson
Burning Brakes

Jeff,

YOu have never sold that motor?
Old 01-01-2004, 01:47 PM
Jeff Lamb
Pro

Originally posted by John Anderson
Jeff,

YOu have never sold that motor?
No, I was not able to sell the complete engine. Therefore, I have been parting it out as mentioned in my earlier post. Here is the paragraph where I discuss the status:

Regarding my Huntley engine, since no one bought it, I have been parting it out. I sold the cylinder head, cam cover and Pauter rods. I am planning to use the lightened crank in my new engine project. I still have the 1989 Turbo block (powder coated Speed Yellow and modified to delete the balance shafts) that I might consider selling. It has perfect bores and matching pistons, rings (brand new) and crank girdle that are in excellent condition.

Quick Reply: Need Lead on 951 Short Block - or rebuild guidance