Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My car will only start with a jumpered DME relay

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 06:33 AM
steeley90
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My car will only start with a jumpered DME relay

Hello all,

Unfortunately my '89 2.7 944 will only start when I use the jumpered DME relay method.
I've tried 4 other relays now but still no joy. The car just won't start without the emergency relay method which is a real pain.

Would someone be so kind as to to provide me a checklist of things I should do so I don't have to keep going through the pain of lifting the bonnet every time I want to go somewhere? I've been toying with the idea of having a killswitch fed through, has anyone attempted this?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-28-2018, 08:36 AM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you try bypassing the alarm controller as out line here?

http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-23.htm

Pins 1and 4 is what kills the power to the DME relay so a kill switch can go between those two pins.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:51 AM
steeley90
6th Gear

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the reply, Marc!

That's very interesting, I think I'll have to give that a go.

Just so we are on the same page here, if I go with this configuration, I'll be able to have the jumpered DME relay permanently plugged in, and then I'll feed a killswitch into pins 1 & 4 of the alarm controller, then feed the switch through to a nice area on the dash I've pre located. Does this sound legit to you? Do I need to disconnect the alarm before I start monkeying around with the box for it?

Thanks again for your help. Mechanical is more my side, as I changed the clutch in mine. It's the electrical side of things I'm making a more concerted effort to learn nowadays!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:19 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Leave the DME relay in place. Remove the alarm controller and jump out 1&4, 7&8 terminals. You won't need a separate kill switch unless you want a hidden kill switch to help prevent thief. But first determine why the DME relay is failing to energize.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:30 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

NO NO NO!

"Did you try bypassing the alarm controller as out line here?
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-manual/elect-23.htm
Pins 1 and 4 is what kills the power to the DME relay so a kill switch can go between those two pins."

This will damage the cars wiring.

1989 models (944, 944T, & 944S2) used a different alarm controller and wiring, and if you follow Clark's instruction you WILL damage wiring. Google 1989 944 or 944S2 alarm bypass, or links below.

https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...989-951-a.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rm-bypass.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...rm-bypass.html
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...ont-start.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...ocedure-2.html
Old 02-28-2018, 12:33 PM
steeley90
6th Gear

I think we are suggesting two different things. Unfortunately I don't think I explained my situation enough so allow me to elaborate.

I currently have to permanently run the following setup to get my 944 to start - https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...dme-relay.html

As soon as I put the DME relay into the fuse box, the fuel pump starts running and does not stop when I turn off the car, so I have to manually go and remove it. And reinstall when I want to get going again. Or else the battery drains.

Obviously this is a painful exercise I really want to avoid.

So sticking with your idea of adding a killswitch between pins 1 and 4, would I be able to control when the DME turns on? I take it that you're suggesting the alarm module is stopping the DME relay from starting properly?

Sorry for causing confusion!

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2018, 12:38 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

sounds like you've got a shorted DME relay.
Old 02-28-2018, 12:40 PM
steeley90
6th Gear

Thanks Paul,

I doubt it's the alarm module as my car runs fine when I use the 'emergency jumper method' on the DME fuel relay. She starts up immediately.
I'm just desperately looking for a fix to this problem as it's ever so tiresome constantly removing the relay every time I use the car. It being my daily driver, it's even more frustrating! ha
Old 02-28-2018, 12:46 PM
steeley90
6th Gear

Are you suggesting pulling out the DME and checking for cold solder? I would obviously like to avoid that.
Is there a potential for a switch to be installed anywhere? What do you guys suggest?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:32 PM
URO Support
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steeley90
Hello all,
Unfortunately my '89 2.7 944 will only start when I use the jumpered DME relay method.
I've tried 4 other relays now but still no joy. The car just won't start without the emergency relay method which is a real pain.
Hi Steeley, did one of your other four relays happen to be ours? Though it's unlikely that you have five bad relays and the problem is probably something else, if one of them is ours we'd be happy to send you our new third-generation DME relay 993 615 227 01, which was just released. This completely redesigned relay uses modern modular design and is assembled using Surface Mount Technology (SMT) for quality consistency and long-term reliability.

We'd be happy to extend the same offer to anyone who had one of our DME relays fail in the past, just contact us with your purchase details (send a private message here or email "sales @ uro parts . com", remove spaces) and we'll get you one of the updated units.

Old 02-28-2018, 02:51 PM
marc abrams
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PaulD_944S2
1989 models (944, 944T, & 944S2) used a different alarm controller and wiring, and if you follow Clark's instruction you WILL damage wiring. Google 1989 944 or 944S2 alarm bypass, or links below.
I did not know that. My apologies to Steely90.
Old 02-28-2018, 03:17 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 92 Posts

I would look for damage to the DME relay socket, related wiring (under the fuse box) or possibly some previous alarm or killswitch bodging from yesteryear.
Old 03-13-2018, 06:57 AM
steeley90
6th Gear

After contacting Uro as per the reply on this thread, not one but two of their new relays were sent out to me.

The parts arrived at my work and I swiftly made my way to the car park to try one out.

I wish I had a dash cam that had captured my face when the car started first time with the new relay installed. I'm absolutely ecstatic. I cannot value these new relays high enough. I've tried every other option of relay including Porsche OEM and none worked. It's still a luxury for me to get in the car and not have to pop the bonnet. One I'm sure I won't get tired of for a long time.

Thanks ever so much to the guys at URO, you've made this 944 owner the happiest guy!
Old 03-13-2018, 04:02 PM
URO Support
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by steeley90
After contacting Uro as per the reply on this thread, not one but two of their new relays were sent out to me.

The parts arrived at my work and I swiftly made my way to the car park to try one out.

I wish I had a dash cam that had captured my face when the car started first time with the new relay installed. I'm absolutely ecstatic. I cannot value these new relays high enough. I've tried every other option of relay including Porsche OEM and none worked. It's still a luxury for me to get in the car and not have to pop the bonnet. One I'm sure I won't get tired of for a long time.

Thanks ever so much to the guys at URO, you've made this 944 owner the happiest guy!
That's EXCELLENT news Steeley90, thank you for the update! Your new relay is likely the very first 3rd gen URO unit in use on the open road, not counting a few test units.

We still don't understand how so many of your other relays could be bad, hopefully there isn't another problem with your car that's somehow burning out relays. But if it works, it works! (Carry that second relay as a spare, just in case, lol.)

Quick Reply: My car will only start with a jumpered DME relay