Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident last night - my S is crumbled!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 01:15 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Accident last night - my S is crumbled!!

What a Christmas gift I got last night - my 88' 944S is basically a write off I think.

Was out shopping - waiting to take a left turn across two lanes of traffic.

Oncoming giant SUV gives me the headlight flash to go.

I pull out and start taking a left.

Guy coming behind the SUV pulls around the stopped SUV and plows into my passenger door at full speed (no skid marks from him braking). My girlfriend is only alive today because we were in a Porsche - if we were in my Suzuki Sidekick, he would have drove right through us.

She basically has bodylash - she can't move at all. She is still pulling glass out of her hair. My right hip is so sore and my left wrist is not able to move.

My sister is taking pics right now and I will post them as soon as I get them.

It doesn't look good - the door is basically gone - jaws of life were used to open it to get the girlfriend out. My rocker panel is pushed in so it hits the floor. The back wheel-well took a hit and the back rim has chunks out of it. The front fender is pushed in so far that my front tire is almost totally exposed. It looks like basically the whole passenger side of the car is pushed in like a foot.

I don't know if anyone can judge if it's a write-off without pics - but after you see the pics, let me know.

I haven't talked with an adjuster yet (not till Monday now) - but the cop at the scene said he figured the insurance would go in my favor, yet the insurance agent said anyone cutting across traffic is at fault. My only thing is that I was fully past the SUV when I got hit. It wasn't like my nose was sticking out or something - he hit me fully on the side - right on the door handle - so he had to have seen me. I figure he was playing with the stereo or something and just didn't see me, cause he didn't put on his brakes at all.

The impact was wicked - the girlfriend was drinking coffee and it ended up all over me and I was covered in glass also. The inside door panel is pushed in to the point where it hits the glove compartment and I can't open the glove compartment. I noticed my stereo is now 1 inch lower than before. You have to see the pics to get a better idea - but just picture what a car would look like if it was hit at a fast speed flush on the door.

Merry Christmas to all and I'll talk soon after I get back from X-mas vacation.

P.S. - for anyone who has been through this, how does it work? Will they write-off the car, then give me money or am I screwed out of a car here. What is the deal with buying it back? Thanks all.

I'm so sad.

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 12-24-2003, 01:20 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whoa dude, nasty xmas gift indeed. Sorry, that sucks to hear.

And yes, accidents are always fun in a screwed up way. I remember rear ending a winstar van in my dads little Nissan pickup truck at 70km/hour... Wheeeeeeeeeeee lets do that again!

If you want I can type out a few hints that got me thru my seemingly hopeless accident. They helped me a 19 year old guy get a no fault when I rear ended a retard like the one that hit you.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:20 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's illegal in California to pass on the right shoulder at an intersection.

If the primary car (SUV) had stopped in the only lane then you may have the other SOB by the short hairs.

There are a lot of 944S's out there with broken engines (you know all about this). Should be able to get a decent chassis for cheap.

Right now get yourself a blood sucking lawyer. My favorite kind when they are on my side!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:21 PM
DLarsen
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Cars can be replaced. People can't. Your insurance adjuster will advise you if your car is totaled. It comes down to what is your car worth vs. how much will it be to repair.

Merry Christmas
Old 12-24-2003, 01:25 PM
Jeremy Himsel
Addict
Rennlist Member

From your description it sound like it's totaled. A general rule of thumb is the guy making the left is going to get shafted although it sounds like you have a few things working in your favor. If you had full coverage then they will pay you for the full value of your car. If not you may only get a percentage from the other guy's insurance. For example the insurance companies will battle it out and they may determine that it was 20% your fault and 80% the other driver's. In that case you may only get 80% of the value. As far as buying it back, tell your insurance company you want to buy it back from them. Most companies will accept 10 to 15% of the payoff value. Sorry to hear about the accident.
W88951
Burning Brakes

Nice people and cars do not mix well. I always flip off anybody that waves me on in traffic. As from your expierence you can see that it is just not safe. Oh, and please please never ever pull out into an intersection for a left on Green light only, especially if a Green Arrow is available in another minute. It not only blocks your view of oncoming traffic, it blocks the other persons view as well.

Glad to hear that you and your GF are OK and from your description, they will Total the car.

Also, unless you can buy it back for under $1000.00 it is not worth it. It is now a parts car. Once the adjuster determines that the car is not worth repairing, they will issue you a cheque for their appraised value of the car. Their appriased value may be nowhere near what your expected value is for the car, so don't be shocked when it occurs.
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

That's awful! Thank God you're still around to talk about it. I'm convinced that the 944 series is one of the safest cars around. It sounds like your car is a goner. It would probably cost three times it's value to repair it. It's a shame, that was a very nice car. Was the a-hole that hit you cited?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:28 PM
W88951
Burning Brakes

Oh, one other thing. Do you have the license plate number of the guy that flashed you to go???? I believe in some states that if you wave another person on through traffic and a collision occurs, then the person that waived you on is at fault.

NEVER EVER TRUST ANOTHER DRIVER THAT THE ROAD IS CLEAR TO PROCEED!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:32 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

Just thank God both of you are alive. The car can be replaced. Count your blessings this christmas.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:33 PM
Jeff928S4
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So-Cal, there were two lanes coming the other way. The SUV was in the lane closest to myself. The lane closest to the sidewalk was empty, that's the lane inwhich the guy pulled out from behind the SUV - the lane I was in when he hit me.

This happened on a hill. I was looking up the hill, the other guy was coming down the hill. He had to have seen that all the oncoming traffic had stopped - I was holding them up, waiting to turn. Because he was coming down the hill, he would have seen all the cars behind me stopped and the big SUV totally stopped in front of him and it was dark so he would have seen the SUV flash me. So, the car in his lane is stopped and flashed it's lights - all the cars coming the opposite direction are stopped - he must have know something was going on - he must have known that someone was being allowed to turn, yet he didn't even slow down - he just blew right through all these cars that were just sitting there and smacked me.

Maybe this will all work out good and I can get a Turbo (crossing sore fingers).

Jeff (944S Boyeee)
Old 12-24-2003, 01:37 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Me thinks you're screwed. Sorry.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:40 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank god you are alive!!

I'm very happy to hear that you are still here in this world. Don't worry about the car, there are plenty of them around as replacements.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:49 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

First and most important is to pay attention to you and your girlfriend's health. Make sure you are both ok. We all love our cars here but people are more important, duh? I say this because when I was in high school and my dad was letting me drive his Speedster my mom was rear ended badly and I was pissed at her about the damage to the car. She passed away a couple years after that and I sometimes regret not being more concerned about her whiplash. Anyway I hope you both are ok.

You mentioned two lanes of oncoming traffic. Why did the SUV stop? was the light changing or was traffic backed up and the SUV couldn't clear the intersection? My call is that unless the light was changing to red the second guy has the right of way if he has a green. Get a lawyer quick.

From your description the car is totaled.
So Sorry
Old 12-24-2003, 01:50 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear you got in the wreck but from the sound of it, you and your gf are very fortunate to not suffer major injuries. Many side impact accidents leave a dent on the hood of the other car from the head of the passenger hitting it. Its bad, but its good that your car took the hit. I often tell people about the layout of these cars and how well they are designed (not for ease of access and repair though). The gas tank is completely enclosed by a frame and protected by a transmission underneath in. The torsion bar housing and rear suspension keeps the rear passenger compartment from hard impacts and helps to keep the door from collapsing by keeping the lower part of the B pillar intact. The door posts under the A pillar is also very thick. I seen many hard wrecked 944 series cars in just about every position and had to cut through much of it to get the parts out. I am just very happy to hear nothing bad happened to you two. Consider it a gift from above this holiday season.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:51 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Be smart, forget about the car and take yourself and your GF to the doctor and get checked out. Have them shoot some X-rays and make sure everything is still in one piece.

Karl

Quick Reply: Accident last night - my S is crumbled!!