Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accident last night - my S is crumbled!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 05:56 PM
grants_968
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In California and most states, it is against the law to change lanes in an intersection. You now know why. If the SUV changed lanes, and if the accident occurred in an intersection, then the SUV is in violation of State traffic laws.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:18 PM
jonnybgood
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by grants_968
In California and most states, it is against the law to change lanes in an intersection.
Not so! I started driving in Colorado and there it was against the law to change lanes in an intersection. A couple years ago I was at traffic school here in California to avoid the points on my license. The instructor covered this issue. I objected on the basis of my knowledge of Colorado law and because I wanted to make him look like a jerk. He showed me in the California vehicle code that it is ok to change lanes in the intersection. Anyway the present accident is in Canada and only the locals know the law up there.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:50 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Danno, you should check out the way Vancouver drivers treat jay-walkers. If you pause at the side of the road and look across the street, drivers will often stop in both directions and wait for you to cross. It's the strangest thing, I've never seen it anywhere else.

Not like Toronto where jay walkers are invisible. I really have to make a conscious effort to remember that when I'm driving in Van. Personally, I think the TO option is safer, you always know how drivers are going to react.

Pedestrians in Van have a lot of attititude. Or they do when I'm driving there.

Anyhow, Boyee, try not to get bummed out at Xmas about losing your car. Sweet as it was, it was still only a car, and the stuff you still have is more important. Like your health, your gf, your family, those xmas gifts, whatever. Years from now this event will be slightly amusing.

Have a great one, in spite of it all!

Last edited by Peckster; 12-24-2003 at 07:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:11 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally posted by jonnybgood
Not so! I started driving in Colorado and there it was against the law to change lanes in an intersection. A couple years ago I was at traffic school here in California to avoid the points on my license. The instructor covered this issue. I objected on the basis of my knowledge of Colorado law and because I wanted to make him look like a jerk. He showed me in the California vehicle code that it is ok to change lanes in the intersection. Anyway the present accident is in Canada and only the locals know the law up there.
Ok. I thought the accident was in Calif.
One guess as to how this Florida resident knows about that California law.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:11 PM
UDPride
Thinking outside da' bun...
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 470 Likes on 242 Posts

This news positively sucks. I feel for you man. On the road, its "trust, but verify". Ive seen accidents like this a lot and make a habit of not believing anyone elses judgment on whether its safe to go or not.

Whatever happens its good you are in one piece. There will be other Porsches, you can count on it!
Old 12-24-2003, 07:22 PM
Peckster
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by grants_968
Ok. I thought the accident was in Calif.
One guess as to how this Florida resident knows about that California law.
CA, NB, they're almost the same, really. Close to water...close to water...whatever.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:23 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrm, I have to agree with many of the things that are said. If you were square in his lane, that will shift some of the liability on him. Personally, it is partially the guy that flashed you's fault, but I highly doubt his insurance company will see it that way, and you would need a truly evil lawyer to push that. Investigate whether or not he signalled to make his lane change. If he did not, that will push even more liability on him.
Now for the bad news, the law does place the onus on the left turner to ensure it is clear for him/her to make their turn. Now, given that the suv was in the other lane when you started your turn, you may have a leg up there, but that might not help you out any.

Right now, see doctors, get x-rays, submit your section-b forms to your insurance company, get treatment, heal up. Insurance companies are the slowest acting people on the planet, you will be better before they want to do anything (in the way of settling this) especially if they have to pay for your car. More bad news, the car is a write-off, even if they fix it, it will never be straight, if both the A and B pillars are bent, the fender is messed up and the quarter panel, then your roof is messed as well, along with the floor pan, the hood, and many important things hiding behind that fender and quarter panel.
Insurance companies are never fair, the best advice I can give you is, look around at what similar 944's are selling for right now, dig up ALL your receipts for your car, along with the original purchase agreement. They will look up the value of your car in a book, then make you an offer, it WILL NOT be fair. Tell them where to stick it, and tell them that you have paperwork and (maybe?) pictures to back up what you think the car is worth.
This happened to my GF's 91 LeBaron GTC, the insurance co offered them $2000 for it, they told em to f off, brought out all their receipts and what they paid for it, the company gave them $5800. (The car was worth about $6500-$7000 with the equipment it had). The moral of the story is, they will rip you off, even when it's all said and done. Take a look over the car when you feel better, determine what is salvageable and what is not, then consider buying it back and parting it out. There is a good chance it is not worth it.

Hope some of this was helpful, best of luck to you and a speedy recovery for you and the GF.
Times are tough, but look at the bright side, the P-Car saved your life.
Old 12-24-2003, 07:36 PM
JimV8
Rennlist Member

Received 495 Likes on 354 Posts

I second Karls comment, glad your Ok, its only a frinkin car, hug your GF, and Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2003, 08:20 PM
Danno
Race Director

"In California and most states, it is against the law to change lanes in an intersection."

I've asked a CHiPpie about this and the other most frequently mis-construed law. First, there is no law against changing lanes in an intersection. All the same procedures have to be done, such as using your turn-signals and looking to see if the lane is clear: 2003 CVC.

The other most often confused law is passing on the right, which is perfectly legal if there is more than one lane going in your direction.CVC 21754

This gets mixed up with a two-lane highway (one lane each way), in which case, you can only pass slower cars by moving into oncoming traffic on the left. You may not pass him on the right in the shoulder. CVC 21650CVC 21750, CVC 21751,

heh, heh.. I've spent way too much time in traffic-school...
Old 12-24-2003, 08:56 PM
Mike B
Done With Sidepatch
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry to hear about your collision but glad to hear you both are OK. You will replace it with a better model (951) if it's totalled.

In Alberta you have to be able to complete the left turn in safety otherwise you may be responsible. Did the other driver receive a summons (ticket) or did the police establish any fault at the scene?

Another thing to remember is traffic law and insurance liability are always two different things.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:21 PM
user 8430
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an accident that was near identical...I was found to be at fault, only differnence was I was not waived ahead. I am always EXTREMELY cautious in that left turn/intersection situation now.
Old 12-24-2003, 09:38 PM
grants_968
Racer

Originally posted by Karl2bdc
Be smart, forget about the car and take yourself and your GF to the doctor and get checked out. Have them shoot some X-rays and make sure everything is still in one piece.

Karl
... and speak to an attorney.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:08 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jeff, I'm truly sorry to hear you or anyone for that matter gets caught up and hurt in something like this, especially just before Xmas!
I do wish your girlfriend and you a very speedy and complete recovery from this! And I too want to stress.....its ONLY A CAR! Do what ya gotta do, but I hope and trust that you are ok with taking on the responsibility that you have in this incident, learn from it, and go on. This is not only about "how can I replace my (material) car without losing any more money than possible." Sometimes we gotta take our lumps! We all go through it at times. Consider it as a character building opportunity?

This kinda thing makes me think again about how sometimes I wish it were law, that in order to get a drivers license to drive a car/truck, you had to drive/ride a motorcyle only on the highways for a minumum of 2 years first. In my mind, that would do one of two things. The person would learn to be a real defensive driver, or they'd probably be dead. (kinda harsh, HUH)
I figure if that was the case, that guy wouldn't have pulled around that SUV like that! ..........Then again.......you probably wouldn't have made that turn right then. Wishing you guys the BEST!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:18 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe you should look into getting an LSD on your next 944. That little bit of traction may have gotten the extra half a car length you needed.

Thats not really true, but its always a good way to convince yourself that more modifications make for a safer Porsche.

I am glad to hear your ok, and make sure you give the adjuster hell no matter what number he gives you.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:22 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Tom R.
he basically said that other than technical advise the advise here is no different than the advice you would get from a bunch of guys sitting around a bar. Not meaning to insult anyone, but he is correct. think about it.

I like the sound of that. We could get together and start a Renn-Pub. It would be kinda like Planet Hollywood, but we could have Porsche stuff hanging from the walls and .....

Its Christmas eve ... let a guy dream a little .

Quick Reply: Accident last night - my S is crumbled!!