Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holiday Bios.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 12:42 AM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Holiday Bios.......

As some of you know, I actually have a lot of folks in the Rennlist e-mail lists (about 83,000+?). One of the traditions on the 914 e-mail list, started by a Rennlister about 5 years ago (a wonderful guy by the name of Mike Cooley) was something called a "Holiday Bio" - just a short snippet about you, who you are - to share with the rest at the Holiday Season. No pictures - just a short note about you and your car and whatever you'd like to say.

If this thread has a LOT of replies - I'd like to show it to Mike - as he is - and what's been "about Rennlist" for many years. Way before the Rennlist Forums and before "Rennlist" is what it's become. Sort of like a Christmas gift to Mike - just as "thanks"....

For me - I posted this last night on the 914 e-mail list - and I think this would be kind'a cool for this Forum, given the range of age, diversity and backgrounds... So - here goes - here's me....

Let’s see… I just turned 47 a few weeks ago, but I feel much older at times, Well – most times. I have 2 teenagers – John and Jeff. They are terrific kids. Well – most of the time. Jen? Oh – she’s wonderful. I have no idea why she sticks with me – but she does. That she works her real job 60 hours a week (as a Real Estate broker) outside of assisting Rennlist – probably helps her maintain her sanity. Oh Jen, we’ve been together for about 9 years. I need to marry her someday and make it official I guess.. Oh, she’s 32.

Stuff: My real job? Heck – I still have one. It entertains me while hosting Rennlist. What do I do? Heck, I dunno. Something about strategic plans with start-ups in the technology industry. Folks like Dell, HP/Compaq, IBM, Red Hat, Microsoft, etc. have been on my list of start-ups for the past 8 or 9 years. Before that, I started another company in 1988. It went pretty well until I walked into the office one day in the mid-90s – and a new receptionist, who I’d never met - asked me who I was and if “she could assist me”. I figured then it was too big or I traveled too much. Nowadays I travel less, have one employee (me) – and no money – but just enjoy “what is”.

Porsches: Yea – I’ve had a few. I think the count is 14 over the past 20+ years?) Some of you know I sold my ’87 911 last month for $17,500. I bought a ’95 993 C4 for $16,000. It’s a little of a basket case – but now it’s running great after pulling the engine and fixing a long list of stuff. My 914-6? It’s still in my garage – but I have a buyer who I’m storing it for. It’s been a part of me for 5 years, but hell – I can’t afford both – so one goes. The 914 I think has probably given more “Rennlist Fun Rides” then any other lister’s car out there. It’s kind’a fun, fast and has shocked more then one student I’ve taken on a track ride with it – also, it’ll always be faster then Eddies 914. That’s important. I’ll miss it – more then anyone knows, as I “built” it for what I wanted it to be. And it “is”. And folks like Rick J. Wayne at Pelican, Perry K., Mike C. and many others helped and were there each step of the way. That’s “their” 914-6 as much as mine. So – I guess I’ll miss it – a lot.

Other Stuff: I dunno. I’m just me. I look at Rennlist – and I’m dazzled, amazed and daunted. Naw – there isn’t a “tech staff” back here – there is “me”. On Rennlist – I think there are about 210,000+ folks registered to all the different areas – and the whole site and all the servers (15 now) take about 2,000,000 page views a day.? I dunno – it all holds together, usually. When it doesn’t, I get pretty upset.

Other stuff: This thing we call “Rennlist” - we’ve become quite a “community” That’s to your credit, not Jen’s nor mine. On these lists and on Rennlist overall, I seen folks donate over $300,000 to charitable causes in over 5 years. I’ve seen a Member pass away – and other list members mourn worldwide. I’ve seen lives changed, and people reach out to others – just with a “hey – I can help” or “I can give you..” or “I have one of those – you need it?”. In other ways - two years ago – we had a couple married from one of the lists, who met on Rennlist after helping each other with a 951 problem– and last fall – celebrated the birth of their first child.

Those are the things that “are”. Those are things that make “Rennlist” special. And those are the things I cherish as we go into yet another year – as those are the memories that are indelible against time and age. And are what “Rennlist” is all about, at least in my view. I hope you agree.

So, to all – my thanks for those memories. And more so –Jen’s and my warmest, sincerest and happiest thoughts, wishes and prayers for a wonderful Holiday Season.

John D.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:44 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i thought it was just a little snippet about you.
i dont have that much interesting things about me.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:45 AM
Campeck
Campeck Rulez
Rennlist Member

oh.
im 15 got learners a couple of days ago
drove the na
um........
rennlist is cool.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:05 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'm 24, getting my life back together after the bad and the ugly, now getting back into the good! I have 2 944s, one stock, and one, well, not so stock, it's my pride and accomplishment. A 2, going on, 3 year project and far from done. I love rennlist and the GTGs we all have. I'm a P-car nut, but roam the 944 land, lol. I have a beutiful GF, her name is Tammy. I hope to someday soon get her into a 951! I'm a momma's boy, yeah, I helped her get a 944 also. I'm currently helping dad with his 951, I'm building a motor for it. So yeah, we're a P-car family! I beleive in family, rennlist is my family! Happy Hollidays!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:18 AM
Conor
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm 18, and I'm currently going to school at RPI. My 924S is my first Porsche, and I've had it for about 14 months. It's currently out of commision due to me hitting a guard rail with the front left of the car, but I hope to have it back to normal in time for when I head back to school in January. It will certainly not be my only Porsche, as I plan to buy a 993 when I get out of school, and hopefully build a track car out of my current 924 (951 engine...)

Conor
Old 12-24-2003, 01:51 AM
User 41221
Banned

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Howdy, my name is Scott and I am a Rennaholic...

I'm 42 years old, very recently married to the lovely Lisa Marie (she's 29, but don't tell her I told you!) and I have a wonderful 12 year old daughter named Holly. We also have a mini dachshund named Karma, who is a great travelling companion.

I have owned four Porsches so far, and still own three of them, including my first Porsche (the '84) that will become my daughter's on her 16th b-day. Lisa has decided that she needs a 928 GTS, so I imagine we will be adding to the stable before long...

I have been frequenting the email lists (and its predecessor's, PorscheFans and Porschephiles before it) since '96, and have been visiting the web forums only for the last year or so. I have met a bunch of y'all during my travels and a couple of my best friends are people I met on Rennlist. I could talk on and on about Rennlist and how its impacted my life, but I hope my actions better represent how I feel about it.

Thanks John, for giving us this incredible community!

Best regards,
Old 12-24-2003, 01:56 AM
exc911ence
Three Wheelin'

Received 56 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmm, I'll be 34 in a couple of months, no kids, no mortgage and no wife... sort of. I've been dating my significant other for a little over 9 years too but I'm not convinced that marriage is a good idea so I'm sticking with the status quo. I presently own 2 Porsches, a 75 911S and a 69 912 which keep me entertained and my savings account drained. My first Porsche was an 87 924S that I sold to my girlfriend when the 911S came along so it's still in the family, so to speak. I am an "Aircraft Maintenance Engineer" by trade which basically means that I fix broken airplanes... not too exciting but at least I don't have to decay behind a desk throughout my working years. Oh yeah, I have a cat and live in the most beautiful area of Canada. You know, life is pretty good! Happy holidays all!
Old 12-24-2003, 03:32 AM
Geo
Race Director

I'm 43 as of 4 weeks ago. My how time does fly (faster and faster every year). I'm married to Kerry (4.5 years), the most wonderful woman in the world. I'm a lucky man and I know it. Everyone should be so lucky.

Made a number of friends on Rennlist and the number keeps growing all the time. Tonight we had a little Houston Rennlist dinner with the locals (some of whom couldn't make it unfortunately). It's a great community. We look forward to meeting more Rennlisters.

I've been here 2 years since I bought my 944 from a small bone yard straight and complete with the plan of building it into an SCCA ITS race car. After about 6 months of layoff (impending and actual) I ended up with a job as the controller of an oilfield services company. I've had almost zero time this year for the car, but just recently I've started the cage and am on track to push this thing to completion. Soon we'll have the local Rennlisters over to drop the drivetrain.

In addition to my career as a beancounter, my alter-ego has banded together with two partners to form a company (NISsport) to produce some racing development parts (I am in charge of design). Currently we are Nissan centric, but we are looking at branching out and will of course produce some Porsche parts as we design them for my car. It's small now and about as much as we can handle for the moment. We are built on service and Paragon is one of our models for not only how to take care of people, but also to not troll forums and lists to scrounge up business, but rather to be a part of the community and help when we can.

Well, gotta go wrap presents.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to those who celebrate something else. May the peace of the season be yours.
Old 12-24-2003, 03:41 AM
goingboeing737
Burning Brakes

Hi Y'all

James Weaver from Houston Texas. Just turned 48 last week...that just does not look right...

Flight attendant for Continental Airlines, hence the handle "goingboeing737". Just celebrated 10 years with the company, hardly any time at all in the airline business. Wonderful, beautiful and super understanding soulmate for a girlfriend, Sabrina. She is a flight attendant as well. Met at work, now we work/fly/play together all of the time. Sabrina is into "counted cross stitch" like we are into Porsches. They have their website just like Rennlist. We have a great dane mix named Honey weighing in at just over 100 lbs and a cat named Lincoln weighing slightly less...

On my first Porsche. 1984 944 n/a. Bought it on ebay without a clue or knowledge of this list.....oh, if I only knew then, what I know now...... I have had it a little over a year. Working backwards, I have redone the entire interior, now doing more mechanical fixes.

My brother purchased a 924, new, back in the 70's and that kinda hooked me on these beautiful cars. Wanted a car to play with and be able to work on a little. The new cars are more or less impossible to do anything with other than change fluids.

The people I have met through this website, either in person or just online are the greatest. Texas GreaseSlingers in particular, George,Kevin,Brian,Matt,Keith,David,Pete....to name a few, are the best people you could want to have help you with whatever comes along. I owe my continued ownership of this vehicle to all who have helped, either directly or simply by your insanely intertaining posts...

There is only one thing I am more involved in than following this list and enjoying this car. That is Alcoholics Anonymous. I am coming up on 11 years clean and sober. It is a miracle,,,trust me.. But you would be suprised how similar the 2 groups are, really. The first word of the first step is "We" and it is like that here too, "We" help, console, laugh, cry and hope for and with each other. Make no mistake, I have nothing against drinking, I simply have used up my right to drink. I have, if you will "an allergy to alcohol and drugs". I am still crazy, I put the "FUN" in dysfunctional.
But DO be careful this holiday season (all year long for that matter) I never planned to get a DWI or be in a wreck or any of the other bad stuff that can happen when you mix alcohol and cars, but it DID happen to me.

Remember, all year long, why they call today the "PRESENT". It is because it is a "GIFT".

Happy Holidays and to all a good night..
Old 12-24-2003, 04:00 AM
triscadek
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well I'm 43, divorced 3 years have a great son that will be 16 in january and has his eye on my S, but I don't think so yet. Also have a 99 Kawasaki 1100ZRX and am an admitted horsepower junkie.

Drive a truck for a living, travel from Tulsa to Chicago, Ohio, Atlanta or Florida generally back to Dallas then home, take the weekend off get my son and back for more next week. Basically have my personal life on hold 'til Cale gets too old to be spending as much time with the old man and gets running around with his friends or has a girlfriend dragging him around.

2 years ago in the fall my Accord blew a head gasket and didn't seem worth putting $1K into (hard to do that type stuff in an apartment myself) and ran across a 87 944S that was a little cheaper than the 93 Accord I was looking at, was still held off by the "Porsche" stigma then thought, Hell I've loved the looks of that car since I first saw one and I can afford it,why not?. Googled Porsche 944 for some car info. before I bought, found Rennlist, learned about the car, met a very helpful community and became part of it.

Then in October my father had a heart attack and being very down one night and wanting to just tell someone how I felt I posted about that and was really surprised by the outpouring of support, prayers and offers of "just call me if you want to talk" from complete strangers, but 'listers.

Well he passed away 4 weeks later 11/17/03 and the holidays will just really have no meaning this year. Cale and I will be driving 500 miles today for Mom's first Christmas alone.

The good that came from that was odd. At the hospital one day I saw a red 924 2 spots away from me and left a "nice porsche" card on it and came out to find a "nice porscheyourself" note under my wiper. The next day, wearing a Tweeks t-shirt I met the infamous Chris_924S and Patti. Having met them for a couple beers a few days later I knew that I had 2 new friends that I could call at 2am if I had trouble and they would come help me and I would for them.

The night of my fathers funeral Chris and Patti "just happened" to pop by with some gratis parts from Michelle JD for me and to check on me and my moms spirits.

When I have online access rarely a day goes by without hitting the 'list or somethings not right.

Thanks John D. and Jenn for making all this possible for such a small price and to all the others who have helped me over the past 2 years and to all the others who have made me laugh out loud, smile or feel down and pray for your circumstances too.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to everyone.

BTW, just to pull off one more for my Dad and I, he was buried with a Rennlist/Texas Greaseslingers T-shirt for his undershirt and went off as a fan of my interest.
Old 12-24-2003, 04:30 AM
Lars944
Instructor

HI!

My name is Lars Christian Barstad, from cold old (Bergen)Norway. I am 22 years of age and work at a paint store (!) where i have worked for about 6 years now. I still live with my parents (!) because they have big enough garage for both my car and partscar (and it's free)

I have a 83mod 944NA wich is mostly in parts now, but hopefully will be back in a few months i also own a 968 92mod wich is fairly not drivable (because of a jerk that smashed it before i bought it ) but it still have all mechanical parts intact. I drive my mothers Fiat Uno on a daily basis. It got a 1.1l 4cyl engine wich puts about 55hp at the flywheel (haha) and is pretty much rust the whole thing.

I would like to thank John and everyone else on this forum that make my Porsche experience alot more worth it and a big ole Merry Christmas!

Last edited by Lars944; 12-24-2003 at 06:34 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:05 AM
Joe944
Racer

Hey all, I'm Joe from the Bay Area, California. I'll be turning 20 in January and finished my first year of college last year. Decided that I want something different right now so I'm going to be enlisting in the Marine Corps. hopefully by around February.

Bought my 85.5 944 a little less than 2 years ago and love it even though I still need to fix it.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:28 AM
DevNull
Advanced

Hi..

I am Don from Seattle, I am a 31 year old network manager for an internet provider so far operating in 9 states. I am not nor never have been married, but always on the lookout. My 87 944 S is my 4th Porsche, the others were a 78 924, 85 early 944 and a 84 911 SC Targa. I have had many different cars but nothing has felt more like car clothes than my Porsches. My current other ride is a 93 Jeep Wrangler... lifted locked and loaded. The Jeep is my fun in the sun summer 4 wheeling, mud sligning rock crawling Honda squishing rig.
Old 12-24-2003, 06:30 AM
schnellfahrer
Addict
Rennlist Member

My name is Eivind and I'm 30. I've been married for 10 years, have a 3 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. I work as an IT engineer for Canon Norway at one of their branch-offices. I sold my 944NA a few months back and I'm currently looking for a 951. I'm also looking into getting a 3L turbo.

We're having part of our family over for christmas. In Norway christmas is celebrated on the 24th. We will attend christmas services at the Salvation army at 3, have dinner at 5, a few rounds around the christmas tree before we open the presents at 8.

At the age of 30, I have everything I could ever hope for, and I consider myself very fortunate. The Norwegian dream is a bit different from the American dream. Becoming a millionaire and retiring before we're 40 is not on our list :-) .

I look at my family and realize that I'm a very lucky guy.

Merry christmas to Father Rennlist: John D. and Jen; and of course to all my family at the best BBS on the net.

Cheers!
Old 12-24-2003, 08:08 AM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Hello,

My name is Harold Hoffman, ill be 23 as of next tuesday. I'm a college student studying journalism, and work part time in everyones least favorite line of work, doing quality assurance.

I fell in love with Porsches from the begining. My dad, a VW enthusiest, got a brand new 944 in 83, infact it was the first one in columbus. I couldnt quite place what it was, but i guess it was the mistique, and from the way my dad acted about the car, i knew there was just somthing special about it. He ended up getting an offer for it, that was too good to pass up, after owning it for 9 mos, and he took it, getting what he paid for it plus 2k more, as well as breaking my heart. it wouldnt be until i was 17, and was looking for a second car that i knew that i had to have a porsche. I spoke with my dad, and after pleading with him to help me find a 944 (he was helping me pay for it), he was firm with his answer: NO! When i asked him why not, he said, "their water cooled.. no.." Then i more or less called him a hipocrite, and he agreed that he was, but said, "what do you think about a 912 or a 914?" His hole logic for these were that they were in the same price range, and easier to work on (after all, he was in on it too, and wanted to be able to work on it ourselves). Soon, i became immersed in the world of 912s and 914s.. looking everywhere for the perfect example, when on one spring day, my dad happen to find one. we went, and discovered a rust free example, with a strong engine, and plenty of history and recipts dating back to the mid 70s. 6 years later, she is still my trusty steed.

I dont like to just drive her like i stole it. Mein 912 has taken me places i would never think of (infact more than 10,000 miles traveld with her this year alone). new england, the south east and appalacian mountians, all over the mid west, and of course, a 3 week journey of discovery to the west coast and back. In the nine dozen i have seen america, the rockies, the great pains, and the deserts of nevada. i have seen the sieras and the great canyons of utah. i have driven on twisty windey roads of the blue ridge mountians, and ive done quick little drives in the country side just for ****s and giggles. she is my gateway to the world, and no matter what anyone says, im definitly a nine dozen guy for life! this isnt to say that i dont wanna get my hands on a 67 911s, or a 993, or a 914.. but my next porsche will definitly be a 356. ok ok.. a 944 s2 would be cool too some time.. but a 356 is whats on my list next.

with this litte bitchin four banger, ive seen glory and heart break. ive met some of the greatest people i could ever know with my maroon machine; Dave Hillman, Lisa Fritz, Cary Dunn, Howard Beard, Sterling Vaden, Jack Skaggs, Jaems Thompsen, Don Mechler, Mike Briel all from the 912 crowd, and from here at my rennlist community, Pete, Chris and Patty, Andy, Wade, Eyal, Robert and JoAnne, the always lovely Julie, Tom (who was gracious enough to donate a year rennlist membership), of course there is no one like Danno!, and of course i cannot forget Doug (as in Doug and Julie). what can i say, it just dosent get any better than this group of people.

you guys helped me out when i decided to let caution go to the wind and to drive this 35 year old car cross the country. you guys helped me through some tough times too, like when my mom was going into surgury to have a tumor removed from her brain. and you guys were also there for everyone else who needed help.. thats what makes this such a great group. how we all help and support others. to me thats what its all about. for the new year, my resolution is to help at least one person out each day i actually come on here (not everyday.. but just about), to help give back for what ive been blessed to recieve here.

im also a big music fan, especially blues, folk, psycadellic, and straight out ***** to the wall rock. if im just crusin, youve always gotta have some good tunes. if im straight out driving though, the motor is all i wanna hear. nothin like the sound of a 356/912 engine at 5,500K, in 3rd gear as you twist and turn and wide through the switchbacks on 58 between bakersfield and san louis obispo.

my other passions include reading (Im really into whittman, kerouac, ginsburg, thoreau, joyce, fitzgerald, johann wolfgang von Goethe goethe, henry miller, & steinbeck to name a few), history (specifically american and european history from middle ages to the present), and baseball.

Love.. well, i have my family, friends, and the maroon machine. i like red heads though (hmmm maybe thats why i got a burgandy p-car?).

remember guys... the road goes on forever.

Harry
'bound to cover just a little more ground'

Last edited by hoffman912; 12-24-2003 at 08:40 AM.

Quick Reply: Holiday Bios.......