Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Holiday Bios.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 08:11 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My turn.....

Scott Levy from Tulsa, OK. 36. Merry Christmas! Co-owner of KLA Industries with my best friends Ken and Tom. Customer service mgr for EDS by day. On my 2nd Porsche, an '86 951, black over black. First one was an '87 S. Other cars in the fleet are a '97 GMC K1500. Girlfriend has a '95 BMW 325 iS and newest addition is a '98 Trooper. No human children but I have a dog named Dakota. He's border collie/husky mix and a big baby. 70lbs and loves to be held (still thinks he's 5 lbs!). 2 cats, orange tabby Jaguar, grey tabby Mercedes. Hmmm.....what else. Tulsa Oilers hockey fan. Xbox player. Love good wine, good scotch, and good food (who doesn't?). Take my Mom to dinner every weekend and breakfast on Sundays. I guess that's it. If I think of anything else, I'll append.....

Oh yeah, big happy holidays and mucho thanks to John and Jen for the tremendous job they do with Rennlist.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:58 AM
944Fest (aka Dan P)
Unaffiliated

Received 209 Likes on 135 Posts

Hiya Folks.. Merry Christmas!! I'm Dan Pierson, 39, now residing in Avon, Ohio. I suppose I can start this tale with a Porsche infatuation with my father's 72 911. My older brother was a Porsche mechanic since he turned 16 and was always upgrading Pop's 911. They did DE's every year, but I was not included, probably due to my destructive lifestyle. I was in my mid 20's before I made something of myself, lucking into a sweet job with the FAA telling airplanes where to go. They sent me to Terre Haute, IN and I started enjoying cars a bit more. I've had the 67 Charger project (http://home.earthlink.net/~squatch/67Charsm.jpg) for about 17 years. I feel more like its caretaker than anything else. I may patch up a leak once or twice a year, but just don't want to sell it, even though it rarely gets driven. I toyed with a 71 BMW 2002 and a Buick Grand National before I was finally invited to try a drivers ed in my dad's/brothers 88 944 T. I was hooked and bought my 89 951 that fall (1995).
When I moved to Indiana, my girlfriend Kate, 6 years my junior, came with me. In '95 I made her legit. She's my better half in every sense. She's given me two gorgeous daughters, Mary Grace (3) and Olivia (3 months). Before Avon, we lived in Mansfield, Ohio for a few years. Terre Haute and Mansfield were both Level 3 radar approach controls with Towers overseeing military bases, F16s and C130s. I love the job and the family life.
I've met a lot of great folks thru the Porsche clubs, and even more thru Rennlist. One very special connection is Cuz. He's my long lost cousin from NH. We re-met at his brother's wedding in 96 (?) where he told tales of building big block drag racing camaros. I countered with on-track 944 tales and invited him to come to OH for a ride on track, with a 5$ bet he wouldn't. Well, he came 1k miles for a ride and ended up strapped in dad's 88 TS as a student! He bought a hot black 89 951 and has returned every summer to share some track time. That 5$ bill is framed and stuck on his wall, the best 5 spot I've ever spent!!
With a lot of help from Rennlisters, my 951 has evolved into a 340HP street/track beast, and after 8 years as a student, I have been promoted to PCA Driving Instructor.
Cuz's migration in to town each year is the highlight of my summer, and we make a big week of it. This is the origin of the 944fest. I had a large group of friends who either had, or got, 944s after seeing ours. I decided to throw a party where all the waterboys could get together and eat, drink and be merry. 2001 was the first Fest with 12 cars. 2002 was the first in Mansfield with 14 cars. 2003 was huge with 30 waterpumpers in attendance. I've sold the Mansfield house where I hosted the 02 and 03 parties, and we're negotiating for a venue for July 3rd and 4th 2004. I really don't know where this Fest is headed, or how long it will last, but the folks who come in their front engine Porsches are some of the nicest folks I've had the pleasure of meeting. Rennlist made the crowds possible. I don't know if you'll ever find another automotive event like the 944fest anywhere. I know I haven't. Keep an eye on 944fest.com for updates.

Thanks, John!! Merry Merry and Happy Happy!

Last edited by 944Fest (aka Dan P); 12-24-2003 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:58 AM
pete944
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, here goes.
My name is Pete Neyra. I’m 43 (although I act like I’m 19 sometimes) and work as a sales rep/kitchen designer for a small cabinet shop. I’m working on my second (and final) divorce after a 6 year marriage. I have an 18 year old son from my first marriage. He’s a good kid but he’s into the ricer-type cars. I need to work on that. I have a gorgeous 3 year old daughter from my present marriage that is the light of my life.
I’ve had around 20 cars throughout my life but none of them got under my skin like Porsches. I saw one of the first 944’s in the area at the Porsche dealer in 1983 and wanted one ever since. I never gave them a lot of thought until I noticed how affordable they had become. That was in 1997. I found a nice white 85.5, bought it, and I was hooked. I found my present car here on Rennlist and had a great experience flying to Colorado to pick it up and driving 1200 miles to bring it home. It’s a little rough right now but it’s a very solid platform. Over the next year or two it will become something special now that I will have the time and resources to do what I want with it.
I do hear the call of a 993 in the back of my head and I would like to have an early 911 project someday, but I believe I’ll always own a 944. I really want to hit 500,000 miles with this one.
I’ve met a lot of great people from Rennlist. It really is like being part of a huge family. It’s nice to know that good friends are only a few keystrokes away.

I wish all of you the best of New Years.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:09 AM
Dave951M
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave- at 46 and feel like 86 at times. It's been an interesting ride for the past few years with some of it spent unemployed, now again gainfully? employed. I have three kids, the oldest son is on active duty in the USAF and stationed in Anchorage and works in Radiology at the base hospital. The middle son is attending UNC CH on a USAF scholarship and plans to be an officer. The daughter is 14 going on 24 and driving me nuts. At least she has an interest in learning to drive the Porsche after she found out that it was "way kewl". Once she drives it a bit, I'm sure she'll be driving it for other reasons. The wife and I have been through a very interesting 24 years together. She tolerates me and my idiosyncrasies and I can't imagine anyone else doing it! One of my passions/odd habits is wrenching and collecting tools. She's learned over the years just how much money that can save so she tolerates the orderly chaos in the garage. It's a good division of labor, I avoid the kitchen, she leaves me to the garage. We have our own zoo at the house with multiple examples of cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, fish, and mice. There are also two Porsches- my daily driver 951 and a 931 that I'm putting back together for my daughter. One of the things I really like about Rennlist are the informal beer nights. It's great fun to get together with other Porsche enthusiasts, especially since many that attend our GTG are wrenching types.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:16 AM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here goes, I'm fortyish, married with two kids, Peterson (named after Ronnie) and Christian, wife Lois, stay at home mom. On my third Pcar, started off with a 85.5 944, then 968 coupe, now the screaming yellow zonker. Had a major Alfa Romeo infatuation while single, loved those cars-had a great Bertone GTV, awesome 66 Duetto, then lesser Alfetta GTs and GTV-6. Gave them up when first married, then told wifey after 7 years-I've got the itch-I'm getting a sportscar or a girlfriend, you pick! Been driving Pcars ever since.

Originally was a laser optic engineer, then had a early midlife change into watchmaking. 11 years later still working for the same world wide jewelry company, first in service and repair, now in a teaching and training role.

I had the pleasure of meeting John D and many northeast Rennlisters last summer at the Boston lunch-500 miles for a roadtrip, but worth it to me. I try and meet as often as possible in the Metro area-through this site I've had a lot of fun and happy times added to my life, and it's adds to the value of my life. I'm still active within the 968 crowd too, and look forward to the Hershey Meet every year.

Support John and Rennlist, if you're not a member make it your resolution to join for 2004!
Old 12-24-2003, 11:22 AM
PeteL
Got Nothin'
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey there! Pete Laches. I am about to turn 40, and I am a Commander in the Navy. Been in the service for 17 years. I am presently married and have two daughters ages 7 and 5. I am spending the year studying at the Naval War College in Newport RI. The family (and the Porsche) remain in Beaumont TX. After I graduate, I will be going to Tampa Florida to work as the Naval Planner at US CENTRAL Command. Not sure if the family will join me there.
About the Porsche, its an 86 completely stock. I always wanted a 944 since they came out. Finally got one when I was promoted to LCDR in Oct 97. I have brought the car back to respectability and reliability, and consider it my island of tranquility in a house full of women. (Even my dog is female).
About RENNLIST. You all have made it possible for me to keep the car. You got me off the mechanic habit and into the garage where I belong. I have made great friends and outside the Navy this is my family.
Happy Holidays...
Old 12-24-2003, 11:58 AM
89951DREAMER
Instructor

Hi,

My name is Ian, and I live in Fresno, Ca. I have a wife and 10-month-old daughter, both of which keep me sane. I'm 30 years old and I'm an ASE Certified Master Technitian for a small independent auto repair shop here in Fresno. I have never owned a Porsche, but I'm looking for the perfect 88-89 951 S. My previous cars start with a '73 Volvo, '80 Celica, '63 F100, '77 280Z and subsequently many other Datsun Z-Cars. The last Z I had was a 350hp turbocharged 1971 240 Z that did double duty as dragracer/autocrosser. I built that car from the ground up. Anyway, I've grown out of the Z-cars for reasons of their age and lack of amenities, and I've always loved the 951's, so that's what I want now. I even have found an '89 951 that needs a new turbo, but is in otherwise perfect shape with only 75000 miles on it. I just need to convince the owner to sell it to me. Our current vehicles are a 2001 Honda Odyssey and a 1992 Ford F250 4x4.

My wife is into horses. We have 6 currently. They are for pleasure/amature showing. I call 'em hay burners. Anyway, that's our life. I do the cars and she does the horses.

I hope to learn from the Rennlist more than provide any information. Since I'm really inexperienced with Porsches, I doubt I will be able to offer any tech support, etc. However, I am knowledgeable of Datsun Z-Cars and many other makes (especially water-cooled VW). If you have any questions about that, I may be able to help.

Ian
Old 12-24-2003, 12:15 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

I am in my mid 30s, have a beautiful daughter (simran) and beautiful wife (ruchi) who tolerates my passion for Porsches. Me and my wife have a very good understanding, as long as I can fulfill my commited $$$ for the month, she does not question what I do with the rest. I consider myself very fortunate to have her as most wifey's are not like that.
I have owned Porsches since 1992 and they were all "watercoolers". Started out with a 1987 alpine white 951, sold it a couple of yrs later to help parents with buying their house. Got the itch again and after owning atleast 6 other 951s (all turbo S), decided to go the 968 route. As much as I loved my 968 (rare M030), I felt something was missing (boost ). So, when the opportunity came for me to buy a turbo 968, I jumped on it and quickly sold my M030 968.
The turbo is an excellent replica of the orginal and was built using a lot of factory parts and at the time I did not realize what an awesome deal it was. Built by Ludwig Heimrath (very famous Canadian racer) as his personal car with only 26K at the time of the purchase.
This yr, I was fortunate enough to find a 968 turbo RS engine and then bought a 968 turbo S transmission as well. I am in the middle of putting it all together and hope to make it to Hershey with hopefully 400/400 at 1 bar.
I was a very active member at the rennlist email club (I am sure some of you still remember me) and then was an active member at 968.net. After a few yrs, I decided to move my virtual home back to rennlist and am very glad to be back. Me and a few other ex 968.net members are trying to make rennlist 968 forum a little more active, so wish us good luck.
Happy holidays to all and sorry for the long post.
Regards.
Raj Datta
Old 12-24-2003, 12:18 PM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

me: I'm 23, born and raised in Canada, but pure Hungarian. I have no family in Canada other than my parents - so naturally we are very close to each other, and we help each other out all the time. We've moved around a lot too. It's been pretty rare for me to stay in one house more than a few years. Regardless, Vancouver is my home, and no matter where in the world I may be living, Vancouver will still be my home. If any of you have ever been here - you know how beautiful it is here.

work: Ever since watching Top Gun and playing Jetfighter I've wanted to fly fighter jets. I went through school and air cadets (canadian version of the civil air patrol) and college with the full intent to become an airline pilot. I can't imagine a better job, than flying an airplane and getting paid for it. I'm Commercial, Multi, IFR, Float, Glider, etc etc etc but this just isn't the right time and place to get a flying job. I am making more money as a Doorman/Security Associate than most of my former flight instructors are making as charter pilots for FedEx. At any rate, I'm fully aware of the need to be flexible in todays job market, and be able to do lots of things. I'm sure as I get older, my income stragety will change often. That's okay. I'm still pretty young at 23 and for my age I've already had a lifetime's worth of experiences.. I feel very lucky!

Porsches: In 1980something, I got a poster of a black car, to put on my wall. I had no clue what is was, but it looked awsome. I while later, I got a little 1:24 diecast model of a red convertible. Looked kinda like that black one on my wall - I thought it was way cooler than the lamborghini or the corvette models. I had no clue what kinda cars they were - I just knew they looked perfect. Turns out they were 944 turbos. I still have them - and now I have one that's 1:1 scale!!! Before I got my 944t, I drove my mom's cavalier through highschool and college. That car has been through more **** in 5 years than most cars go through in a lifetime. I almost wrote it off twice, ralley raced it for 2 hours across a logging road to get away from a hell's angel who was (i'm convinced) trying to kill me... anyways, until I got my 944t the only mechanical things I've done to a car was changing a spare tire.

With the help of rennlist, I've taken almost all of the car apart save the engine. I've done motor mounts, suspension, brakes, radiator, coolant, oil, hoses, etc etc.. Best $18 I've ever spent.

Through rennlist and the Porsche club, I've met some of THE most friendly, helpful and interesting people around. Some of them have become good friends too.

So, to all you fellow rennlisters, especially John D - here's my THANKS to YOU ALL!!!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:21 PM
SamGrant951
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

Hmmm....Well Im 23, (24 in January) and have been out of college since May. I worked in Evansville from June till present and got into Clinical Research with a private company, well that did wonders for me as I just landed a job with Eli Lilly in Indianapolis so it looks like me and the Pooschy are moving next week. Im single, couldnt be happier. Life is good. Indianapolis is where most of my friends are so Im looking forward to getting out on my own and doing the "growing up thing". Yeah right.

Car wise...lets see. Shes still a tiny bit banged up. We'll fix that in early Feb. Shes getting a new splitter, euro front bumper and the back repainted. Next year hopefully the 951 will be finished. Big Reds, Vitesse turbo to go with the MAF I have on my floor, Wideband, Ledas, 964RS seats and then the track. Its becoming a track/weekend only car which means I will need something else. Im currently looking at C230 sports, 540is, Audis, M3s.... I dont have any set dates, Im sure one will just be there at the right time- not too worried about it. Next porsches on the list are 911sc, 968 turbo, 964, 930, 964 turbo -dunno when or where....Either way Ill always have at least one Pcar, shooting for more though

I got into porsches as my dad owned 3 while I was growing up. As he had them all, I had posters all over my walls. It was love at first sight. A chocolate 83 944, 85 Guards 944, and a Guards 951. Obviously the guards 951 is still in the family. 125,000 miles and strong. I became far more involved with them than he ever was, and this seemed to spark a recent re-interest. So soon he might show up with a RS America, 993, or Boxster S. Who knows.

Great bios, keep em coming!
Old 12-24-2003, 12:22 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Brian Barrows, 29, and I'm in the midst of some major "life" changes. I graduated from VA Tech in 1997 with a BS in Environmental Science. After spending five years in that field, I was getting fed up with it. Not so much with the actual field, but the quality of the jobs there were available. I had been contemplating a career change, but wasn't sure how I'd be able to swing it. The opportunitypresented itself in the worst possible way...

Long-story-short, my father died at the beginning of '02 and the money I inherited is allowing me to make these changes. I bought a house and am renting rooms out so that I'm living for free, and the remaining money will go to cover tuition (I figure that I paid a high price for this opportunity, and I'll be damned if I was going to squander it!). I will start taking classes to become a nurse (I've got this service bug in me, and am always happiest when I'm helping people. I had wanted to be an EMT, but there's a really high burn-out rate, and I figure that this is the next best thing). I got fed up with my environmental job and left. Currently, I'm a high school substitute teacher. And I have to admit, I love it!

I've been a car nut since before I had my license. In fact, it was me who turned my dad into a Porsche fan when I found that '74 911 in the paper back in '88. He bought it, and that's the car I learned how to drive in and even took my test in it! My first car was an '82 VW Scirocco, which I turned into a nasty little autocrosser. In the meantime, my father upgraded from the '74 to an '86 911.

I bought the 944 on an impulse. Believe it or not, I had asked a cute blonde out. She shot me down. Feeling a little bummed, I started surfing the car ads (as I'm prone to doing) with no intention of buying anything. This was when I first realized how affordable 944s really are! Four days later, I had my 944 and never looked back. Of course, my dad would give me crap for it not being a "real" Porsche, but I just told him that he was jealous since mine was newer than his...

That '86, btw, is the same one that I'm currently babysitting. My stepmom never drives it, so she was letting it rot away in her garage. I took it from her so that it'll still get driven and maintained. There is some talk that I may end up with the car, but I'm staying quiet on that one and will let the rest of the family work it out.

That's about my story.

Happy Holidays!

BB.
Old 12-24-2003, 12:40 PM
Granite 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I’ll be 49 at the end of next month (just can’t believe it). I’m married to a wonderful women going on 16 years (she hasn’t thrown me out yet). Jill is definitely the best thing in my life. We have no kids other than our 2 kittens, a Belgian Trevern, Labrador and of course, all the “outside kids” squirrels, birds, and any other of natures beautiful creatures that happens by!

I currently work for Boeing, I’ve been there for about 15 years now. My work duties are in the form of “tool and jig builder” and for some time now, as a “structures assembly mechanic”. I’ve been on the edge of getting layoffed for quite a while, but things are beginning to look up now. Prior to Boeing, I’d worked for Bethlehem Steel Co. in west Seattle for almost 15 years as a “millwright/plant maintenance tech.”

Something just came to mind while writing this. I’ve always missed the comradiere and closeness I had with my “buddies” when I worked at the Steel Plant. Just haven’t had that feeling since. However, maybe that’s one of the reasons I’m getting more and more “addicted” to Rennlist. I do see and feel more of these things going on here! I’m hoping to become more of a part of it. And for that, I greatly appreciate John, Jenn,and all of this community!

Porsches: Oh yea, for me it really just started about 14 months ago when I bought my first and current “play ride” from my brother in law, right after he popped the timing belt in it. I always loved the look of the car, heard so much about the handling and everything, so I thought what the hey! I’ll give it a go! Well, I’m screwed now! After running this for only about 2800 miles, and having taken a ride in a buddies 993 tt, I’m done for! I’m already thinking a 951 and or a 911 is in my future! And I haven’t even got this current 944 in shape where it needs to be yet.

MERRY CHRISTMAS and HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL !

Old 12-24-2003, 12:45 PM
TMH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Happy Holidays. I'm Tom Holdych and I live in Campbell, CA. I'm 44 years old, and have been married for the last 19 of those. Just got into Porsches this year when I was looking for something more fun to drive to work, where I am a Senior VP and COO of a medical device company. We make products to treat cerebral aneurysms. Was looking a little at Corvettes but just didn't like the build quality and my head was jammed into the headliner. So I looked into 944's and found them to be reasonably priced. Flew out to Salt Lake City to pick one up, and my wife and I had a blast driving it home.

It turned out that my wife had actually lusted after Porsches for about as long as I had, so when I got mine the floodgates opened and we ended up buying an '89 Carrera 4 for her. What an incredible ride! But unfortunately after driving that car (with the 3.6 and so much POWER), my little 944 NA almost felt broken when I drove her. So... I sold the 944 (took all of 2 days to sell it locally) and bought the '87 Carrera Targa. Absolutely love driving it to work every day.

On to the family - We've got 5 'kids': A 90 pound Dalmatian/Great Dane Mix (Sparky, see avatar), a 35 pound Dalmatian/Hound mix (Tully), and 3 cats (P.K., Jasmine and Sushi). The Dalmatians go great with another hobby we have - Restoring antique fire engines. Have had multiple, but am currently down to only one - A 1966 Crown Firecoach. Sparky loves riding up top in his doggles and safety vest. Tully doesn't quite know whether she likes the engines or not yet.

Finally, I am in the middle of de-mothballing the first car I ever bought in High School (in 1975), my '68 Mustang GT/CS (California Special). The car had sat in the garage for over 15 years, and is now getting a complete engine rebuild (390 ci). The engine should be back in early in the new year and then we go through the brakes, exhaust system, paint, etc. and get her back on the road. I know that this is a Porsche Board, but I have to admit that that black-on-black Mustang gets more looks on the road than any other car I have driven (except, perhaps, when we are in the fire engine with Sparky up top).

Well, that pretty sums up my bio, so once again Happy Holidays to all Rennlisters, and best wishes for a happy, prosperous and SAFE new year.

Tom
Old 12-24-2003, 12:48 PM
tazman
Three Wheelin'

Hi my name is Tom Zimpelman I am 33 and work as an Electrician. I am divorced and have two sons. My first Porsche was an 85.5 944 NA when the timing belt went on that I was still married and did not have the money to fix it and had no clue about Rennlist or I guess Porschlist as it was called at that time. Now I have my turbo and I am enjoying playing with that very much. I could not own this car without all the help I receive here so THANK YOU to all and HAPPY HOLLIDAYS!
Old 12-24-2003, 01:37 PM
Kurt
Three Wheelin'

Merry Christmas everyone and a great idea for a thread. I'm Kurt, and am now the ripe age of 21. Junior year studying computers in college is half over, and The Real World is starting to loom ever closer in both a scary and pleasant way.

My Porsche story starts in a very interesting way. Was visiting my mother's roommate-from-college's family. Her husband had a very nice looking 996 C4S sitting in the garage, notices that I noticed and asked me, the 16 year old if I wanted to take her for a drive tomorrow. Long story short, the drive got me hooked into cars and Porsches.

Fast forward to two summers ago, test drove an alpine white 944 NA, blew my mind. Not until I secured a quality summer job was buying it even possible, and even then required throwing all of my saved up money into it. Loved that car, and realized that for what I wanted and how much it cost for maintenance, a 951 would be better/ideal.

Sold the NA 2 days before going back to school this past fall. Spent my time looking for the right 951 and eventually found it. So I've poured all my saved up money into a car once again and just love looking at it sitting there. I imagine I'll be keeping this one for quite some time.

Rennlist is a very unique place. I didn't join officially until after getting the 951. But it's such a great forum that it has truly made that amazing step to being a 'community'.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Holiday Bios.......