Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT-1 conversion for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003 | 11:33 AM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Predator:

This is OT but why didn't I see you at the car show down here in Ft.Lauderdale a while back???? We all came out but you were no where to be found.
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:13 PM
Untier
Racer

944lt1,
LOL ROF!
mine is actually pretty tame with only about 320 hp?
torque is just over 300 all the way up.
i passed smog here in calif.
not to brag but it looks real good, runs very fast and sounds awesome, (especially from behind, wanna hear?). but there are faster cars out there.
ive been on willow springs with it, awesome fun!
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:32 PM
Predator
Pro

Travis.... Renegade screwed up and late-shipped my pilot bearing and it did not arrive at BFR until Saturday am. It was late afternoon before we were finished, so I blew off Lauderdale, loaded up and headed north! Maybe next time. Might make the trip in early Feb. with a side trip to Bike week.
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:53 PM
identity crisis
Instructor

Matt H - you know what? You're right. I'm man enough to admit when i was wrong, and I apologize. My response to your previous post was hot-headed and uncalled for, and not entirely directed at you. Hopefully you're man enough to accept it and let it be water under the bridge.

That being said, I still think it's bull**** how people tear into other people just because what someone does to their car doesn't fit into someone elses definition of what is acceptable. There are several people on this site, members and non alike, who need to check their 'i'm better than everyone else' attitude at the door. If you don't like something, keep your damn opinion to yourself unless it's asked for, and if you're going to criticize something, at least TRY to do it in a constructive manner. 'nuff said.
Old 12-24-2003 | 02:14 PM
Legoland951
Race Car

Purist with a 944? I don't know how many times people tell me that any 924/944/951s are BASTARDS of Porsche and NOT A PORSCHE. More than 95 percent of people I talk to about what I like (944/951) who care to tell me what they think will say its a piece of JUNK and that its a VW engine etc. I know no one on this forum want to hear this, but our cars are the ABANDONED BASTARDS of porsche in the eyes of most people. Taken that into consideration, any pure bastard is still a bastard and a bastard of a bastard is just another bastard.
Old 12-24-2003 | 02:54 PM
P944forScott
Racer

Originally posted by Legoland951
Purist with a 944? I don't know how many times people tell me that any 924/944/951s are BASTARDS of Porsche and NOT A PORSCHE. More than 95 percent of people I talk to about what I like (944/951) who care to tell me what they think will say its a piece of JUNK and that its a VW engine etc. I know no one on this forum want to hear this, but our cars are the ABANDONED BASTARDS of porsche in the eyes of most people. Taken that into consideration, any pure bastard is still a bastard and a bastard of a bastard is just another bastard.
GROUP HUG!!!!

I'm pissed about you being pissed about him being pissed about them being pissed!

Merry Christmas!

"It's your thing... do what you wanna do... dah da dah da dah da dah..."
Old 12-24-2003 | 03:00 PM
esanmiguel
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by Legoland951
LOL frank
How is that Turbo S of yours coming along?
Marry Christmas to you and have a safe one!!
Old 12-24-2003 | 03:20 PM
Matt H
Race Director

EDIT: I got to thinking about it and realized that nothing I had said was going to help this thread in any way. Most of it is quoted somewhere so I deleted mine. Seemed like the best thing to do.

Apology to all.

IC - no problem, I was out of line myself.

Lego - you are spot on.

Last edited by Matt H; 12-24-2003 at 04:39 PM.
Old 12-24-2003 | 03:25 PM
Damian in NJ
Race Director

If something really bad happened to my motor (25K) I'd replace it with a v8 in a heartbeat-I know plenty of 968 owners who've spent MAJOR dollars doing conversions that don't end up with a heck of a lot more hp than a well built small block. How much would a 375hp small block motor cost? A lot less than engineering a Porsche turbo into the car.
Old 12-25-2003 | 01:10 PM
Predator
Pro

I've got $5k in my 5.7. It was originally a stock 285 hp. 1994 LT-1 from a Z-28. Including the cost of the base engine, new 2.02 LT-4 heads (ported), LT-4 intake (ported), 1.6 roller rockers, comp camshaft, computer upgrade. Sumitt Racing states "a proven 425 hp" motor. Now I don't know how they prove it, but the car goes lke stink!! Put $5k into a 2.5 (including the cost of the motor)and see what you get!
Old 12-25-2003 | 06:20 PM
jp944
Pro

I think that even with a V8 in a 944, you can still philosophically be a purist. Porsche has historically tried to find less expensive parts (VW/Audi/Mercedes) to bring down costs. The 356/912/912E/914 all come to mind.
Old 12-25-2003 | 06:53 PM
devils944
Advanced

Default Engine Swap....

I am of the school of let people do what ever they want with their own property.

That being said...

My personal belief is that "You get what you pay for" is how life works. Chevy has NEVER been quality in my eyes, therefore I would not ever put one in my car, but that's just me. I watched 2.5 N/A's smoke the Chevy 350's in the inaugural IMSA Firehawk series back in 1985.

Cheaper is cheaper for a reason and cheaper is never better in the long run.

I always use this analogy and I think it still fits...you can spend very little and get full at McDonalds. You will spend much more for a good steak.
You can certainly buy a ton more food at McDonalds for less, but is it as good as one nice steak? You can get 3X more at McDonalds, but in the end, you still are eating McDonalds.

As for Porsche sharing with Audi and VW...you are aware those two companies were owned by the Porsche family, right?
Old 12-25-2003 | 07:22 PM
Predator
Pro

You want quality, look at the internals of any LS-1 engine. I'll put that up against any engine in the world, cc for cc, money not being in the equation!
Splayed, 6-bolt mains, forged everything, aluminum everthing. Just because it doesn't have overhead cams and 4 valves per cylinder you guys stick your nose in the air. GM (chevrolet) has all those things. What do you think would happen it they decided to use their engineering expertise to the fullest? Chevrolet is 'idling' their Corvette engineering department right now. If they wanted to do so, they could build the fastest, best engineered sports car in the world. Just think if they wanted to put the Corvette's price point at, say, $85k, to compete with Viper and Porsche. Do you really think these marks would stand a chance? Be honest, now!I currently have the best of both worlds. My car looks good, handles great, and will run with cars costing $100k or better. Ran with a 996 Turbo the other day. From 80-ish, up to 140-ish, I pulled him a solid car length. He shifted to 4th (I assume), and I just accelertated in 5th. The stuck-up SOB wouldn't even acknowledge I was there. Then, there was the Viper whose license plate read 'EATDUST'. I guess he meant he liked to eat dust. Before I up-graded to LT-4 status, I was beaten by a 2001 Z-28. After the run, we both pulled off together, and had a great conversation about our cars. He'd blown the stock engine in his Z, and talked the local Chev dealer into replacing it with a 502 Ram-jet for just the difference in the cost of both engines. Improvment is not disrespectful to the brand....its just improvement!
Old 12-26-2003 | 12:08 AM
Untier
Racer

predator
i wish i had done lt4, heads/intake to my engine before lifting it in, sounds kind of funny?
i did get a stage 1 to the heads and a 52 mm tb with the non hot lt4 cam.
if i could get around the smog issue, id like for a custom set of long tubes to run with your equip.
i had a fully ported maf on it and had a hard time passing emissions, althou did pass. i recently changed back to a stock maf minus the screen and it smoothed out nicely, but i havent checked emissions yet.
and also had to go to a stock fpr to pass. id like to sell this and go back to the 914 v8 to play with.
i saw a video of a lt4 240z + 9" with a supercharger. 600 hp it was more than fast, but the datsun idea is funky.
Old 12-26-2003 | 12:34 AM
jp944
Pro

Default Re: Engine Swap....

Originally posted by devils944
As for Porsche sharing with Audi and VW...you are aware those two companies were owned by the Porsche family, right?
I had no idea. It is a fact that Ferry's prototype KDF Wagens used Mercedes crankshafts even though not owned by the Porsche family. Why? Because they were cheaper than the alternative. Had Chevy been making a decent 4 banger he might have even used those...

Quick Reply: LT-1 conversion for sale