Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LT-1 conversion for sale

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003 | 11:15 PM
adrial
Nordschleife Master

What a pissing match

Give it a rest
Old 12-23-2003 | 11:38 PM
adie
Pro

I always try to sit on the fence but I have to confess that it is a bastardisation of the original car, so is Matt's and he will admit it, he just went a different route, the V8 is almost the easy way out, I have had a 951, got bored with it and sold it. It's whatever floats your boat, there is no way you can uprate anything and then decide that what you have done is any more acceptable, talk about the pot... And as for removing any mention of the manufacture of the body make, since when has that stopped Le Manns cars and Touring cars and even rally cars. V8 bashing may be the only way you feel that you can vent frustration, but to me, tuning the 4 cylinder POS is pointless, especially if all it does is allow you to be charlie big bananas. I do fabricate everything myself and it does work out extremely cheap, i certainly wouldn't do it to a nice one but I wont bash anyone who does. And as for the weight issue, all my cars weigh in at less than a standard model. Yes I have brake booster's (servo) and lowering the suspension at the front is done to bring it back to standard ride height. They may not be welcome in your garage but the dynamic 4 cylinder to me is just something that Porsche made do with until something better came along, I'm sure if the 5 cylinder engine fitted you would be singing a different tune. You tried to show how outcast the conversion was once before and it didn't work then. There will always be people to rush to your defence and also people against, that's what makes this forum an interesting place. You cannot tell me the modifications you have done are any better than mine, for a start if you look at both my road car and your's, it's not mine that has obviously been bastardised Standard, paint, standard wheels, standard body, no nose modifications, no little rice spoilers, no suspension upgrades (BTW, i can supply you with a garret sticker to stick on yours). That is not to sayI don't think your car isn't a nice piece of kit, it is, it's just you do things differently, I mean you even stand when you pee The challange thing is childish as you know no-one will turn up, it's an empty threat. So now as ever before everyone knows you only support modifications that have been sanctioned by you and you alone, guess I'm never going to conform, BTW whats your view on Apple Mac's ??? I've been using one for years but I have Microsoft Office Application, can't seem to find a way to remove the Apple from the case though
Old 12-23-2003 | 11:46 PM
cpt_koolbeenz
Drifting

Matt I'm with you man - can't wait till mines back together too!!
Old 12-24-2003 | 12:05 AM
adie
Pro

I knew you couldn't resist, I even had to wait before going to bed, for the record AGAIN, I don't have a chevy, there's more than 1 V8 engine out there.
You missed out wheels and tyres adn I'm betting a different stereo. So apart from the engine components, the suspension, and some minor bodywork you like what Porsche did don't sweat it, i'm only having a rise at you, I don't take any of it personally, and I would't expect anyone else to, I think I'm past all that now as it's gone on for far too long.
Anyway Happy Holidays and if I can't get to the keyboard intime a merry new year.
Ironic you have a 17" powerbook, It's what I have melting into my lap right now, now if I can only squeeze a Pentium processor in it
Old 12-24-2003 | 12:16 AM
tod84944
Drifting

My turn....
First of all, I'm a friend of Scott's (Predator). I have riding in his car, and helped him work on it a couple of times. Most recent when he upgraded from LT-1 spec to LT-4. The work and and the quailty of the work is un-matched by none. It is truly a beautiful work. I also consieder myself a purist. My 84 is completely bone *** stock. I have a ton of parts out in the garage from the cars I parted out, to upgrade the hell out of it. Everything from 951 motor to euro front bumper to vented nose. All of the stuff is stock Porsche items. But , I choose to leave my 84 baby completely stock. That is the way it came, and it is the way it will stay. To sum it up, to each his own. Matt, I don't know you or anything about you, but I will not knock your choices you make with your car. When the general public sees your car or they see Predator, they see a Porsche. I have been with Scott when he has shown his car at some shows, and people see it as a Porsche. When people are impressed by his car or Matt's car, they are being impressed by a Porsche. Trust me folks, when people see a car, they see the shiny paint, the fancy wheels, and how good it sounds, then they want to know how fast. Then they might ask about the motor. Most still see the Porsche badge. Put Matt's car and put Scott's car side by side in a mall, and 95% will walk away talking how sharp those 2 Porsche's look.
Old 12-24-2003 | 12:42 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Ok kids, just for the hell of it, I'll throw my opinion into this. I've looked at various way for more power. Boost my 88 NA motor, LT-1, 951 swap, yada yada. I decided that, even though I have a fully built 350 chevy in the garage that pushes about 350-375HP, I'd rather enjoy the car for what it is, a Porsche. I'm not nay saying, but I don't really like the V-8 conversions, not my deal, not my choice. *** tight in an already tight car, worries on finding the right small parts if anything goes bad and what not. I'd rather build my car all Porsche. I can't complain about what Porsche has turned out over the years. I don't consider a pushrod engine to be and upgrade nomatter what the output. I'm all about efficiency. I see it as only more displacement. Your car, my car, your choice, my choice. Could just be the hillbilly mentality that I'm used to, throw a veeyayte in ther. Not saying that is you, just what I'm used to around here. I spent, well, waisted a ton of time and cash on trying to make my 74 Nova into a porsche. I got a 944 now and it kills the Nova all the way around, and it's a stock NA. I wanted to build a road race car out of the Nova. Have fun with whatever you have, seeyas!
Old 12-24-2003 | 07:47 AM
Predator
Pro

Just one question....Have any of you that are trashing the converted cars ever ridden in one? Or are you all just ****?
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:02 AM
identity crisis
Instructor

Originally posted by Matt H
You are all welcome to my house, so I can spank the **** out of your v8 conversion. Should be done round about New Year's. Then we can take a lap around Texas motor speedway and you can show off those AWESOME, non boosted brakes. Then when I show you the receipts totaling about 2/3rds the cost of your POS we can discuss this further.

Please come with something more original than the purist garbage. I am pretty sure they didnt make them from the factor with giant Garrett turbos. Get real. Someone somewhere will pay 12K for someone elses toy, I have no doubt. Then again there was discussion about buying that absolute pile of **** on Ebay the other day for 4K.

BTW - clean car in the pic, please remove all porsche crest regalia, I will furnish your Z28 badge. Even send you the glue you can stick it on with. Better still I think I have a C1500 badge floating around somewhere. I mean, why call it what it isnt
Come at you with something more original? How 'bout you're an *******, does that work for you? I don't even know you and you offend me. Get off your high horse. Who the hell do you think you are, bashing this guys car? Sounds like a damn nice ride to me and you're just sour he can whoop your *** with it. I swear, nothing worse than an internet tough-guy. Tell you what, wise ***, extend your invitation to me to come over and I'll be more than happy to use your car as something for my dodge to flex on.

No frigging wonder more people don't want to pay for memberships here when some of the established members are such dicks.
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:09 AM
Epic2112
Addict
Rennlist Member

Erm, umm, well I kinda think it's cool. I'd certainly like to ride in/drive one some time.
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:50 AM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Wonder, how my car would be classified. It started life as a very well loaded 968, then was converted into a 968 turbo S replica using mostly factory parts. Ofcourse, they used a 2.7 NA head instead of a real turbo S head as it offers more power and at the time Mahle was not making 104mm pistons.
For lowering compression, they dished the pistons and used shorter rods. It has been very reliable and can pass for a factory turbo S, except for lack of side marker lights and rear bumperettes.
Initially, I wanted to make it an exact replica but gave up on the idea realizing that I would be lowering power output by using original turbo S parts.
Personally, I think I got the best of botyh worlds, a replica that is street legal unlike the original and it is a heck lot faster.
People should be able to do whatever pleases them, after all they are the ones who shelled the $$. If they can live with what they do, who am I to tell them what to do with their lives/money. There is a certain challenge in making these things work and that is what drives these people.
Also, to turbo-charge a 968 can be an expensive affair (upwards of $25K) in most cases when done properly. If one can get the same driveability with 1/3 the cost, so be it. Just don't open your hood, thats all .
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:58 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

One of these days, when I become rich and famous, I'm going to build a 951-powered third gen. Camaro. I wonder how many people that will **** off...?

BB.
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:00 AM
identity crisis
Instructor

well said, 968TurboS. Sounds like you have a real sweet car. I'm sure certain members of this site will bash it, but frig them. I get so sick of the 'purist' attitudes. You're absolutely right, someone spends their hard-earned time and money on a project that means something to them, even if another person doesn't like it or want it for their vehicle, they should still respect the efforts that individual made. There is constructive criticism, and then there's just being an ***.
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:24 AM
tod84944
Drifting

Like I said before, I have ridden in the Predator, It is more than likely, the fastest street car around here. There are a lot of new Bimmers, Benz, and a lot of other stuff. I've had all kind of GT Mustangs, stock and not, and more than likely, he could spank them. And when he blows by folks, they don't say "that V-8 powered car is fast", they say "that Porsche is fast"
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:01 AM
944LT1
Racer

What's a LT1?
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:02 AM
Jim 944S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thumbs up

Sounds like me ranting about the purity of English Cars!!!

I bashed chevy V8s in Big Healeys until I found that Donald Healey had built 4 liter V8 prototypes, and of course there were things like Sunbeam Tigers, Cunninghams, Shelby Astin Martins, and Allards.

Come to think about it, by the purist logic aren't all Cobras just bastardized AC's?

Would I want a Chevy V8 in my car? No! Maybe even HELL NO!
But I can still respect the evolution (too bad the Porsche V8s won't fit) (as yet).

My understanding from John at Black forest is that the weight balance is not that different and that the brakes are adequate for the conversion.
(not to say the bigger would not be better!)

Black Forest is a fine little shop with some very skilled craftsmen and managed by a very honest owner. Always been happy coming out of there (though on accaision a lot poorer!), and work is always well done and guarenteed.

Stay well, friends!!!
Jim 1987 944S (ya mean I coulda had a V-8?)

Quick Reply: LT-1 conversion for sale