Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 took a hit today

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2018, 08:50 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 44 Posts

Update...

After over a week of waiting for her insurance to call me and authorize the repair (I also got injured at work so I was dealing with that... February was just not my month!), I called them back to see why I couldn't get the car fixed.

They told me that the insured still hadn't contacted them and they couldn't move forward without her notification.

I stewed on that for about an hour before I called them back and said "Yeah... I've got a problem with this."

The lady I spoke to was very helpful and said that if I could provide proof that their insured person was at the scene, they would contact her and say that she had a certain amount of time (I think it was a week) to respond and would then assume that she was at fault. They told me that pictures of her driver's license, her car with a license plate, a police report, or anything else like that would do.

I scanned the police report and emailed the pictures of the accident scene, including both cars in the frame with her visible license plate. I also told them that I could provide the dash cam footage of me passing her (with her readable license plate) up to the point where she hit me.

The next day, they called me back and were ready to move forward.

I guess the lesson here is to get as many pictures as possible. Also, take a picture of the other person's license. I didn't do it because I decided that the police report was good enough but will do that in the future. I'll just say that I'm doing this in case someone's handwriting is hard to read. I'll also try and get both cars with a landmark in the background (although I couldn't do that in this case since it happened on a busy street).

Anyway, her insurance provided a rental car and decided that my antique Porsche was worth a Chevy Malibu (which, let's be honest, my antique Porsche isn't worth that much!). I voluntarily downgraded to something smaller since my wife and I both like small cars so I have a new Hyundai Elantra. It's a decent enough driver but neither of us like the over-boosted steering and brakes nor the horrible outward visibility.

Oh well, we have it for free so my wife is driving it, just to give the BMW a little vacation.

I dropped the car off at the shop last Monday and it is due to be done on the 17th. Despite all of the other issues, I am confident with the shop. So, that's a good thing.

BB.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:09 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

When my Astra was at the dealer they loaned us a traverse. She drove it for a week and decided she didn't want to get rid of her older XC90 too small. Then a year later they rented me an Enclave. She wanted one of those until she drove it for a week and said it was too big. We replaced her 137k 06 XC90 with a 32k 08 XC90 last year. Happy wife... I like getting a rental/loaner to test drive for a week. Glad yours is getting fixed.
Old 03-11-2018, 09:09 AM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Insurance companies... You gotta love them! Some nim-rod hit my benz while at work a few months ago and became quite belligerent with me (figure that). So of course I called in for a Police report. The insurance company gave me a hard time until I submitted pictures. Believe it or not, this little tap cost almost $4,000.00 as Senor Ding-dong cracked the front grill/emblem mounting bracket, which wasn't noticeable until the repair shop discovered it during disassembly. I also received a rental by way of a Nissan Versa. Not quite of the same caliber of my daily driver but it got me back and forth to work.

Fortunately, the shop also repaired all the existing stone chips; the insurance adjuster could not ascertain what damage was new so I actually lucked out as he wrote up the entire front bumper to be repaired. It was also a great opportunity to have the 3M shield applied after the paint work was completed.

Old 03-11-2018, 09:20 AM
mazdaverx7
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 52 Posts

Great news that it's finally getting repaired. You'd think that your insurance company would have done more leg work in getting the claim settled. Nice job on being thorough with the accident details and pictures. It really paid off! Can't wait to see pics of the car after the body shop is done with it!
Old 03-11-2018, 02:50 PM
snb13
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your antique Porsche is worth more than any Chevy.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:30 AM
Chalt
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I am not an adjuster, but am in the insurance industry. You did good documenting on your own. Now just stay on that adjuster. If you don't, sometimes the process can drag on longer.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:08 PM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pfarah7
Insurance companies... You gotta love them! Some nim-rod hit my benz while at work a few months ago and became quite belligerent with me (figure that). So of course I called in for a Police report. The insurance company gave me a hard time until I submitted pictures. Believe it or not, this little tap cost almost $4,000.00 as Senor Ding-dong cracked the front grill/emblem mounting bracket, which wasn't noticeable until the repair shop discovered it during disassembly. I also received a rental by way of a Nissan Versa. Not quite of the same caliber of my daily driver but it got me back and forth to work.

Fortunately, the shop also repaired all the existing stone chips; the insurance adjuster could not ascertain what damage was new so I actually lucked out as he wrote up the entire front bumper to be repaired. It was also a great opportunity to have the 3M shield applied after the paint work was completed.

That sucks.

Originally Posted by mazdaverx7
Great news that it's finally getting repaired. You'd think that your insurance company would have done more leg work in getting the claim settled. Nice job on being thorough with the accident details and pictures. It really paid off! Can't wait to see pics of the car after the body shop is done with it!
The issue is that I don't have full coverage on the 944 so if I go through my insurance, I may lose the deductible. Given the documentation, I'm good with putting a little extra effort in.

Originally Posted by Chalt
I am not an adjuster, but am in the insurance industry. You did good documenting on your own. Now just stay on that adjuster. If you don't, sometimes the process can drag on longer.
Thanks! Sadly, this comes from multiple hits by people who weaseled out of it. Some were hit and runs, some were uninsured motorists, and the one that left my wife permanently disabled merely lied and, due to the lack of any witnesses, got away with it (which is also why we now have dash cams hardwired into every car!).

Sure, I may be paranoid but that doesn't mean that they aren't out to screw me. Even this girl appeared to try to do that. So, yeah, document, document, document...

BB.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:50 PM
jvandyke
Instructor

I lost my toy car a about 10 months ago, 17 year old girl on her cell blew a 4 way stop (with two school buses and kids everywhere, so between them and my car, it was better it was my car)
​​​​​​​
Old 03-16-2018, 09:17 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 524 Posts

Well, since we seem to be sharing sob stories, here's mine.

Similar situation - I suspect the girl was texting or on the phone when she hit me without even looking up the road. She did claim she was turned around to give one of her two babies (the crying one) a pacifier. May be true - but you don't do that at 40-45 mph when not looking at the road. Her phone was on the dash after the collision - so there is that, too. I think the airbag probably saved her life. She was not wearing her seat belt and her forehead hit the windshield. When I got out of my car to go back and bitch at the offender, my anger was tempered by the fact that the whole front of her car was crumpled up to the point I couldn't even see the windshield. My first thought at that point was - holy **** - the driver may be seriously injured. When I got to the side of the car, her two babies were strapped into their car seats and crying. At least she did get that part right. I tended to the gusher over her left eye by covering it with my hand. She wanted to get to her babies (understandable). I told her they were fine (albeit crying), and that she needed the attention.

Oh, and there was a cute little puppy in the car too. I kept the pup in my car until help could arrive to transport her and the kids.

That did not buff out.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:14 AM
jvandyke
Instructor

These things make me a strong advocate for self-driving cars, for everyone except me of course.
Old 03-16-2018, 02:34 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 924 died due to a texting 20 year old girl as well. She swerved at the last millisecond saving me from a full on *** packing. I was stopped in the lane waiting on traffic to make a left turn. 6 hours after the accident, she called the officer that issued her ticket and tried to claim that i was backing up, which was a total lie and would not have absolved her of any guilt anyways. I reiterated that i was just stopped to make a turn to the officer and that was the last i heard about that. I'm sure the judge loved that when she went to court for her careless driving ticket though. I got paid out and parted the car about a month later.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:46 AM
BeerBurner
Unbannable
Rennlist Member

Some of these pictures are ugly and make me happy mine was just a love tap!

BB.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:53 AM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus

My 924 died due to a texting 20 year old girl as well. She swerved at the last millisecond saving me from a full on *** packing. I was stopped in the lane waiting on traffic to make a left turn. 6 hours after the accident, she called the officer that issued her ticket and tried to claim that i was backing up, which was a total lie and would not have absolved her of any guilt anyways. I reiterated that i was just stopped to make a turn to the officer and that was the last i heard about that. I'm sure the judge loved that when she went to court for her careless driving ticket though. I got paid out and parted the car about a month later.
The leaky PS rack, and other goodies live on. Don't know how it got it's name, but it is affectionately called the beast, and it loves to park next to cars that are trailered there in air conditioned trailers with mechanics.
Old 03-17-2018, 10:10 AM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

These are all good examples of bad drivers but imagine a 40 MPH rear ending while sitting still on your Harley
Old 03-22-2018, 12:15 PM
AlfaGTA
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Pfarah7, is that an '07 Fiftieth Anniversary SL550? Bill

Quick Reply: 944 took a hit today