Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 engine rattle

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 05:16 PM
abueler
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 944 engine rattle

1984 944 2.5 NA. Im getting a rattle when the motor is cold around 2k-3k rpm. Sounds like its coming from the top end toward the back of the motor. Once it is warmed up to operating temp the rattle goes away. Its intermittent and doesn't seem to have a rhythm to it. If anyone has any ideas please let me know link below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8aIh...ature=youtu.be

can be heard around the 12 sec mark, 35 sec mark
Old 02-13-2018, 05:43 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 504 Posts

holy **** your belts are way too tight, they should not be whining that much.
and that sound, sounds like the balance shaft belt flopping around and hitting the plastic belt cover, guessing that the tensioner was turned the wrong way.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:49 PM
th535is
Track Day

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Had the same problem a few months ago. A belt change/proper tension fixed it.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:50 PM
abueler
Advanced

Ok, I will check the tension on the belts. They have not been changed or looked at in my time as the owner of the car (purchased 2013) and I only started hearing this the past few times I’ve driven it. I estimate about 7-8k miles on the belts based on previous service sticker and mileage I’ve put on the car (I reset odometer while driving day I bought it, hasn’t worked since). Could something have caused it to tighten over time? Or caused the balance belt to loosen so suddenly?

Last edited by abueler; 02-13-2018 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:19 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 237 Likes on 154 Posts

That's quite a bit of time since the belt service so I would recommend having the timing/balance belt, rollers and water pump replaced ASAP. I would hate to hear that your engine decided to abruptly quit...
Old 02-13-2018, 10:24 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

those belts are overdue for a change then by age alone.
where are you located? if you can't diy perhaps we can find you someone who knows 944s to do it for you.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:48 PM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 89 Posts

I vote rear balance shaft bearings
Old 02-14-2018, 10:51 AM
abueler
Advanced

Im in Columbia, MO. Ive been going back and forth over the past few months on trying to tackle the belts myself. Im no master mechanic but I have replaced some things over the years on it myself (starter, clutch cylinders, ignition components, brakes) but the belts seem a bit tougher and chances of ruining something are greater if not done correctly. I spoke with the local Porsche shop here in town who I have always trusted and have done a couple of repairs that I couldn't do on my own a few weeks ago and they (to my surprise) kind of talked me out of having them do the belts due to such low milage on them. The car also needs a new clutch soon so if i have both done at a shop im looking at a lot of $$.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:09 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

the belts on a 944 are not as hard as the internet makes them sound.
seriously, for a first timer its a 3-4 hour job.
MO is a big state but i wonder if Bruce @ Arnnworx might be willing to help you out with it...
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Ashman
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by abueler
Im in Columbia, MO. Ive been going back and forth over the past few months on trying to tackle the belts myself. Im no master mechanic but I have replaced some things over the years on it myself (starter, clutch cylinders, ignition components, brakes) but the belts seem a bit tougher and chances of ruining something are greater if not done correctly. I spoke with the local Porsche shop here in town who I have always trusted and have done a couple of repairs that I couldn't do on my own a few weeks ago and they (to my surprise) kind of talked me out of having them do the belts due to such low milage on them. The car also needs a new clutch soon so if i have both done at a shop im looking at a lot of $$.
Hey, abueler, I'm in STL, so fairly close, and I'm in pretty much the same boat as you. '86 944 N.A. to which I've done a whole lot myself and learning as I go. I guess I've come to the conclusion that when it's time to do the belts again I'm going to do them myself. If push comes to shove, I'll purchase the Arnworx tool for the tensioning. Luckily, I had the belts on mine done by the dealer in Chicago when I bought the car last year, so I should theoretically be good for a while. It's the clutch that I'll probably pay the big bucks to have someone do when I need it. That seems like a pretty complicated job and I'm not sure I want to tackle it in my garage.

In any case, if you need a helping hand some weekend, look me up. I'm not that far away and always willing to get my hands dirty on a fellow P-car.
Old 02-25-2018, 03:48 PM
abueler
Advanced

Ashman, it does sound like we are in the same boat. Nice to know there are fellow Porsche owners out there willing to help, even if it means an 1.5 hour drive!
Old 02-25-2018, 04:05 PM
abueler
Advanced

Update on the timing belt project. I got the front cover off this weekend and got a look at what Im in for. While the belts look brand new I am going to change them and the rollers. The balance belt seems to be very tight as I could only twist it 90 degrees and from what I've researched you should be able to twist that one 180 degrees. I also discovered that the water pump is not the updated style. Now I am trying to decide if I should put an updated water pump on it and what extra steps are involved in doing so, or if i should just leave this one on (it looks to be in good conditions, no leaks). I have read that you need to modify the rear plastic cover by cutting some holes and enlarging the hole for the new larger idle roller. Does anyone have any suggestions on modifying this or is there a write up somewhere out there explaining how to do so. Also does anyone have recommendations on a kit that includes belts,rollers,water pump and associated parts.
I have been looking at this one but it does not look like it includes the belt rail guard.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-timing-belt-kit-944-94410602113kit?ads_cmpid=352578679&ads_adid=22978217839&ads_matchtype=&a ds_network=g&ads_creative=85228816639&utm_term=&ads_targetid=pla-74834319395&utm_campaign=&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=ppc&ttv=2&gclid= EAIaIQobChMIkay1tO3B2QIVibXACh253gSSEAQYASABEgLAGvD_BwE#fitment

Also, I have not turned the engine to TDC yet as I did not have a socket for it this weekend (just got the front covers off for inspection). I assume this is OK as long as I get it to TDC before I remove any belts...?

Last edited by abueler; 02-25-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 06:12 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

The modification to the rear belt cover is easy so change the water pump, I’ve attached the info below for you.

Forget kits as you don’t know the quality of all the parts in those kits. Make a list of all the part numbers you need and check the prices at the online official Porsche centers like Sunset or Sonnen, you’d be surprised at the prices for genuine Porsche parts, eg: a genuine Porsche timing belt is less than $30.

If you don’t get Porsche belts make sure you get Gates and not Continental, btw you find Conti belts in a lot of those “kits”.

The best quality rebuilt water pump hands down is from Zimms.

You only need the engine at TDC before you remove the timing belt.

Old 02-25-2018, 07:31 PM
abueler
Advanced

Magk944, Thank you for the template! So you've talked me out of the kits . Im going to start making a list of everything. Whats your thoughts on Zims belts? I did not see a brand specified on their site, looking at these. http://www.allzim.com/store/cam-bala...ategory_id=707

I think Ive got everything I need on my list aside from the thermostat, Its my understanding that a different one will be needed for the late style water pump.
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by abueler
Magk944, ...Whats your thoughts on Zims belts? I did not see a brand specified on their site....
I’d call and ask them and if it’s not Gates I’d buy elsewhere. Gates is the OE supplier to Porsche.

Quick Reply: 944 engine rattle