Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:50 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, for what it's worth, I left all the original speaker wiring in place, and my system sounds great. If I recall correctly, there is #18 wire in there for the speakers, which would be good for about 40 watts (RMS), which is IMO more than enough for a 4x6" speaker. I do really like the boston acoustics, but both alpine and infinity are good, and when I do my door panels, I will be choosing infinity component speakers.
Old 12-22-2003, 03:56 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well that's what I am getting. Just took glove compartment out and there is a nice view of the firewall. Think I can see where the mechanic plugged up a hole. Should be very easy to open hole again and get power wires for amp and stereo to battery.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:00 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Pretty funny.... Just answered the hole question here and then got your PM. As for power to the stereo, the power wire says WARNING! HIGH CURRENT DRAW. CONNECT DIRECTLY TO FUSE BLOCKOR BATTERY. DO NOT CONNECT BEHIND DASHBOARD.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:03 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by jeeper31
Pretty funny.... Just answered the hole question here and then got your PM. As for power to the stereo, the power wire says WARNING! HIGH CURRENT DRAW. CONNECT DIRECTLY TO FUSE BLOCKOR BATTERY. DO NOT CONNECT BEHIND DASHBOARD.
There is also a box on the yellow wire calld the choke coil with fuse. Think it has a 20 ap fuse in it. Same circuit city guy tole me to put a 25 or 30 amp fuse in line by the battery.
Old 12-22-2003, 05:35 AM
Zero10
Race Car

Hrm, if the fuse on the deck is that large, then forget using the existing wiring.
I apologize for misleading you.
The best idea at this point, is to bring the wire straight off the battery, it is about 100x easier than wiring off the fuse box, all you need is a 3/8" ring terminal.
If you can see the hole the mechanic plugged, then you are well on your way, pop his plug out and find a grommet that fits it, so your wires don't chafe.(sp?)

I would put an in-line fuse holder at the battery, that is the safest route. Did you decide where you are locating your amp? If it is going at the glove box, then you can either run 2 power wires, 1 for the amp, and 1 for the deck, seperately fused, or (I may get flamed for this) run large enough wire for both to the amp, then jump it from the amp to the deck. I have this several times, just make sure the wire and the fuse are sized correctly. Some people will complain that this will create line noise, but due to the short distances involved, I believe the risk of that is very minimal.

For what it's worth, I am working on rebuilding an amp to fit in place of the casette holder, it's a little 35Wx2 Kenwood amp, and I'll mount 2 little brushless fans to blow the air over it, I am just changing out all the capacitors and relocating them, as well as the coils. It's not exactly related, but I thought it was a neat project, and it's sort of related to amp placement.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:24 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by jeeper31
I was thinking that. Was also thinking much easier to hook speaker wire up to amp than to head unit. Like I said the guy talked me ou of it. Amp would have been 70 watts wher head unit is 60 watts.

Get the amp. The amps 70 watts is probably RMS while the decks 60 is max. The amp will always play cleaner than a deck.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:58 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

if your going to be running a seperate amp then you absolutely need to replace all the speaker wires. if your running it off the deck then there is no need.

as far as power, yeah, running the power through the fire wall is the thing to do. you can see mine along with a number of other things in the picture on the first page. i have 4 guage power wire. i run it to the back seat where it goes throught a inline fuse (80 amp), then it goes to a cap and a distribution block. from the distribution block, i am powering my lone amp, the deck, my radar detector, and my laptop. i don't have any line noise. oh, and your deck should have auxillary inputs i think... hehe mine does and that is why i have my laptop. who needs mp3 cds when you have a laptop with 20 gb of mp3 running though the deck=) oh, and did i mention GPS navigation with voice commands=) and DVD=) and hopefully in the next year WIN-TEC=)
Old 12-22-2003, 12:31 PM
Zero10
Race Car

Lol, been there with the laptop, although a word of caution, when you have 2 15's in the back, don't set it in the back seat to fiddle with something, unless you really don't like your hard drive.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:35 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by Zero10
Lol, been there with the laptop, although a word of caution, when you have 2 15's in the back, don't set it in the back seat to fiddle with something, unless you really don't like your hard drive.
Unless your laptop is sitting on top of the voice coils and magnets, nothing will happen, altho sitting it on your subbox is also a bad idea due to the vibration.

Quick Reply: Amp placement