Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Amp placement

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 12:50 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess the rear is the best place. How much leg room do you use with it under the glove box?
Old 12-22-2003, 12:54 AM
Cyrus951
Rennlist Member

Hold it up against it and check, the amp that I bought two months ago is still the box, really haven't had time to mess with it.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:55 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Why not put it in the back?

Is this for your speakers or subs?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:03 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

think ordering the hidden sub from KLA. might put this on other side but would like to keep some space for storage. would amp fitin spare tire comprtment with tire still in it?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:06 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

if it is for your sub, most definately put it in the back. if your driving your rear speakers with it, also put it in the rear. if your using it for your front speakers, then and only then would i consider putting it under the glovebox. it will be tricky to find a place to mount it to under there (let alone keeping it out of sight). in my old car the PO mounted an Xtant amp to the back of the rear seats. it was a good placement in my opinion. from all the stereo posts you've been making it sounds like your working on the entire system. my advice to you is to not buy anything until you have every last detail planned out. i made this mistake in the past, and now i have corrected my mistake and am super happy with my setup.

what sub are you using if any? where are you putting it? i'm just assuming that is what the amp is for...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:14 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

You are right kevin. Doing just about everything. Don't think i am hooking up rear speakers though. Putting in an alpine 9813 (just bought today). Using the Alpine amp (mrp t220) to run the subwoofer which I am almost positive I am getting from KLA for the cubby with the rockford fosgate driver in it. As far as the front speakers I think I am buying tomorrow Infinity 5 1/4 inch component speakers which will be run off the stereo. The only other option I was thinking about is getting a 4 channel amp and using 2 channels for the from components and bridging 2 channels for the sub. The guy at circuit city talked me out of it and said the stereo is enough to run the components speakers.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:17 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by jeeper31
You are right kevin. Doing just about everything. Don't think i am hooking up rear speakers though. Putting in an alpine 9813 (just bought today). Using the Alpine amp (mrp t220) to run the subwoofer which I am almost positive I am getting from KLA for the cubby with the rockford fosgate driver in it. As far as the front speakers I think I am buying tomorrow Infinity 5 1/4 inch component speakers which will be run off the stereo. The only other option I was thinking about is getting a 4 channel amp and using 2 channels for the from components and bridging 2 channels for the sub. The guy at circuit city talked me out of it and said the stereo is enough to run the components speakers.

Getting an amp for the speakers is far better than running them off the head.

Good headunit choice tho, im prolly gonna pick up an Alpine 9815 on Boxing Day.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:20 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by theedge

Getting an amp for the speakers is far better than running them off the head.

Good headunit choice tho, im prolly gonna pick up an Alpine 9815 on Boxing Day.
I was thinking that. Was also thinking much easier to hook speaker wire up to amp than to head unit. Like I said the guy talked me ou of it. Amp would have been 70 watts wher head unit is 60 watts.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I was thinking that. Was also thinking much easier to hook speaker wire up to amp than to head unit. Like I said the guy talked me ou of it. Amp would have been 70 watts wher head unit is 60 watts.
Well its not really because its easier to wire, but oh well. Im personally *planning* a setup that will *hopefully* consist of that Alpine 9815, good speakers (looking at Boston Acoustics 4" comp set), 2x 10" subs, and 2 amps, prolly avionixx amps, one for speakers one for the subs.

Gonna take pics when you install?
Old 12-22-2003, 01:23 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

That's per channel. was going to bridge the 2 channels and run sub with 140 watts.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:26 AM
jeeper31
Race Car

Originally posted by theedge
Well its not really because its easier to wire, but oh well. Im personally *planning* a setup that will *hopefully* consist of that Alpine 9815, good speakers (looking at Boston Acoustics 4" comp set), 2x 10" subs, and 2 amps, prolly avionixx amps, one for speakers one for the subs.

Gonna take pics when you install?
I will take pics however this is not going ot be the most interesting install.

Was thinking easier to hook up to amp a) because of space and b) just seemed like the wires coming off the unit were real thin. Was thinking RCA's from unit to amp and then speaker wire from amp.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:30 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

actually the deck you got uses alpine's V-drive which puts out 60 watt per channel. it is a pretty powerful deck. i also work at circuit city in the car stereo department, however, i would agree that a seperate amp is always better then the deck power (unless it is a boss or other ripoff brands hehe... boss...). as far as install, it is just as easy to run wires to the deck as it is to an amp. if not easier.

Mmmm tilty face deck, i'm jealous=)
Old 12-22-2003, 01:33 AM
kevin Dubois
Racer

make sure the sub in the KLA kit is not a DVC. if it is you are going to need another sub, or a different amp to run it nicely. a two channel amp is not stable bridged at 2 ohms. if it is a SVC, your set, and running at 4 ohms will sound nice bridged.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:33 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

I will take pics however this is not going ot be the most interesting install.

Was thinking easier to hook up to amp a) because of space and b) just seemed like the wires coming off the unit were real thin. Was thinking RCA's from unit to amp and then speaker wire from amp.
Im just getting a range of ideas for when I finally get a 944 and do my install. I might do an amp under the glovebox, and one in the back, but I dunno.

Yes, headunit, rcas to amp, then speaker wire.
Old 12-22-2003, 01:37 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by kevin Dubois
actually the deck you got uses alpine's V-drive which puts out 60 watt per channel. it is a pretty powerful deck. i also work at circuit city in the car stereo department, however, i would agree that a seperate amp is always better then the deck power (unless it is a boss or other ripoff brands hehe... boss...). as far as install, it is just as easy to run wires to the deck as it is to an amp. if not easier.

Mmmm tilty face deck, i'm jealous=)
60 peak, only 35 or so RMS.

Quick Reply: Amp placement