Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Pricing on OEM Motor Mounts?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:51 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hmm, does anyone have a failed URO mount that our engineers can analyze to determine why it failed? We'd be happy to send prepaid shipping labels and reimburse folks for the mounts, just send us a private message or email "sales @ uro parts . com" (remove spaces) with the pertinent details and your contact info. Even if you no longer have the mount, a description of how it failed would be helpful.

We sell almost 500 of these per year and have received almost no complaints, except for some that had a misaligned alignment hump awhile back. Folks with failed mounts must be throwing them away instead of contacting us for a warranty replacement, so our current data isn't reflecting the problem. We definitely want to get this straightened out, please contact us if you've had one fail.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:08 PM
dirtyTurbo
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by URO Support
Hmm, does anyone have a failed URO mount that our engineers can analyze to determine why it failed? We'd be happy to send prepaid shipping labels and reimburse folks for the mounts, just send us a private message or email "sales @ uro parts . com" (remove spaces) with the pertinent details and your contact info. Even if you no longer have the mount, a description of how it failed would be helpful.

We sell almost 500 of these per year and have received almost no complaints, except for some that had a misaligned alignment hump awhile back. Folks with failed mounts must be throwing them away instead of contacting us for a warranty replacement, so our current data isn't reflecting the problem. We definitely want to get this straightened out, please contact us if you've had one fail.
Very respectable approach to the situation. I'm definitely not alone in anticipating the out come here. Broken motor mounts vs. poor quality motor mounts means drive-line slack vs. annoying vibrations, we've all experienced both and they're no fun!
Old 02-19-2018, 04:30 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Getting into my pan gasket and rod bearing project, I found OEM mounts in my 1992 968 and they are probably OEM at 170K or so miles and 16-17 years. I am surprised they were still working OK but they were somewhat collapsed and very easy to tear. I tore them, causing the magic fluid to leak out during my removal process.

Today I ordered Meyle mounts from FCP, I will know more about them when they arrive. Rein mounts are cheaper and in some pics they still kinda look like they have had the Porsche numbers ground off of them but those may be old pics and the current crop of $20 Rein mounts may not be as good as the $120 Rein mounts of yore.

If the Meyle mounts pass my inspection I'll install them and we can check back in a few years to see if I'm still happy enough with my $72 investment. FCP has a lifetime guarantee but getting a free set of mounts and having to install them again will be cold comfort unless this is happening 10 years from now and I've since bought a lift.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:41 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This won't contribute anything other than to gloat, but about ten years ago I scored a pair of almost-new Genuine Turbo mounts,( with the triangle P on them), for $25 dollars shipped on ebay. Ten years later, still going strong.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:51 PM
SeaCay
Thefu
Rennlist Member

Received 658 Likes on 330 Posts

Originally Posted by Lizard944
This won't contribute anything other than to gloat, but about ten years ago I scored a pair of almost-new Genuine Turbo mounts,( with the triangle P on them), for $25 dollars shipped on ebay. Ten years later, still going strong.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:17 PM
Lizard944
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by SeaCay
HAHA!! Sad part is that I'm old enough to have this movie in my collection. Best parts are the Pizza Dude and Phoebe Cates pool scene.
Old 02-20-2018, 02:34 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 509 Posts

Uro,
probably because no one knows you even offer a warranty

Yes, URO mounts have a bad reputation amongst the 944 community.
I have done 944 "mobile mechanic" work for over 10 years across California and have done motor mounts for a number of folks.
That experience plus what you see here on Rennlist and other 944 forums is that NO ONE gets more than 1-2 years out of a set of your mounts before failure.

Something about the construction isn't right - the rubber pops and the fluid all leaks out, then the empty chamber collapses so the mount is at its "discard height" in short order.

I have cut apart a number of different branded 944 motor mounts looking for a solution but haven't come up with a good one - to my limited testing abilities they all seem pretty much the same.

For what its worth, I've had a pair of URO mounts in my car since 2006. They were collapsed by 2008 but I just haven't bothered to replace them because I don't put a lot of miles on the car so it doesn't really bother me.

That said, I've got a pair of custom-made solid rubber mounts ready to go in whenever I get around to it. Maybe I can send you mine when the time comes for inspection.

Originally Posted by URO Support

Old 02-20-2018, 03:56 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Arominus
It is also significanly harder to fill than the trans mount.
Yes, that's why I'd asked about those "zerk" style fittings on the URO mounts. If the specs for that fitting were available it could make draining and re-filling the failed mount easier.

My solution was to replace the mounts with the semi-solid (aluminum + rubber) SuperMounts. I honestly hadn't been thinking about doing it myself, it was more an academic question.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:17 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfrahm
...I found OEM mounts in my 1992 968 and they are probably OEM at 170K or so miles and 16-17 years...
Today I ordered Meyle mounts...If the Meyle mounts pass my inspection I'll install them and we can check back in a few years to see if I'm still happy...
The problem with this approach is that your original mounts have probably been toast for some time, so you really don’t know what functioning factory mounts feel like, and fitting new Meyles will feel amazing compared to what was on there. I’ll tell you now, that annoying buzzing vibration you will notice at idle when you fit your new Meyle mounts, it’s not there with the factory mounts. But you’ve probably lived with it for a while anyway with your collapsed old factory mounts it won’t bother you
Old 02-20-2018, 08:28 PM
URO Support
Advanced

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
Yes, that's why I'd asked about those "zerk" style fittings on the URO mounts. If the specs for that fitting were available it could make draining and re-filling the failed mount easier.
Hi Otto, just took some rough measurements:
Diameter at top of tapered hole: 11.5mm
Diameter at bottom of tapered hole: 10mm
Depth of hole: 13.7mm
Depth to ball in check valve: 16.9mm
Height of mount: 74.5mm (measured from surface of metal shell to the mounting ears)

The rubber surrounding the hole is fairly soft, so as along as the end of your fill hose is about 11mm in diameter, you should be able to push it into the hole and hold it in place. No idea how much pressure it will take to inject the liquid material through the check valve, since viscosity of the fluid would be a huge factor. If the end of your fill hose was metal, small diameter and pointed, perhaps you could go directly to the small hole right at the check valve and get a good seal in the surrounding rubber (see above photo). Hope the measurements help!

We're having our engineers review a new mount pulled from inventory, but it would be fantastic if someone has a failed mount they could send in for inspection. Just let us know and we'll email a link to a prepaid FedEx shipping label.

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
Uro, probably because no one knows you even offer a warranty
Thanks for the heads up Spencer, just sent you a PM. Our warranty on all replacement items is two years / unlimited mileage. URO Premium items are covered by a Limited (to the original purchaser) Lifetime Warranty, as these items have an improved design and/or use better materials than OEM. URO Premium items available for Porsche include metal Convertible Top Arm Ends, aluminum Sun Visor Mounts and pivots, an aluminum Cooling Hose Connector, ball-bearing (instead of plastic pivot) Window Regulators, and a hard-anodized aluminum Oil Drain Plug with magnet. For warranty support, please call 800-290-5555 or email "sales @ uro parts . com" (remove spaces).

Last edited by URO Support; 02-20-2018 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:38 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 141 Likes on 126 Posts

Scott: Draining and refilling the mounts is not the issue, the fluid is a glycol and won't really age out in this use case. Instead what happens is that the mounts get hot and over time collapse and crack and maybe the fluid drains out, adding more won't work as that'll just drain out too.

Mike: I've had 6 of these cars and 2-going-on-3 that I have put motor mounts into, I have a good sense for what they feel like with good mounts. The mounts I removed looked kinda smooshed in-service but felt fine, just looking at one it seems pretty hardened but must have flexed OK at the section I tore when I was yanking on the subframe. I have collapsed mounts on one of my 928s and that is really noticeable. Hopefully the new mounts will feel better but the placebo effect is strong and I made no effort to quantify the function of the mounts.

Time will tell if this is a mistake but in general I have found that the aftermarket at the non-bottom-feeder-level has really upped their game. No one wants to go out of business for making crap products and more so, vendors I learn to trust (not Rockauto!) do not want to associate with crap that fails early. Watch this space I suppose, and we'll see how the Meyle story unfolds.

-Joel.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:13 PM
Aivar88
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

almost went for the aftermarket ones. i thought i was buyng oem mounts, after they arrived and reading this thread i saw they looked exaclty like those URO ones and someone posted oem must have triangle with P , so asked the seller and confirmed everything and now getting the right ones and returning aftermarket ones. wanna do this right the first time.
Old 02-21-2018, 04:45 PM
hanick
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What pray tell are these? Been offered them New Old Stock for free and would install myself. Only marking I see is "GERMANY"
H

Old 02-21-2018, 05:41 PM
URO Support
Advanced

No idea what brand, but they appear to have possibly been installed before. Are those rub marks on the metal shell and road dust on the other side?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:22 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Received 298 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by hanick
What pray tell are these? Been offered them New Old Stock for free and would install myself. Only marking I see is "GERMANY"
H
Those are not Porsche or OEM (Corteco), they are also not the Rein who used to make very good aftermarket mounts, probably one of the cheaper Chinese aftermarket.

Quick Reply: Best Pricing on OEM Motor Mounts?