Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S2 Timing Marks

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2018 | 07:14 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Default S2 Timing Marks

All -

I'm setting up to replace the timing and balance shaft belts on an '89 S2. Following Clark's the first step is to rotate engine crankshaft to 0 degrees top dead center. Since it's a 16 valve engine, a further requirement is the cam be set with the TDC mark registering against the outer cam housing mark.

The photo of the flywheel mark from Clark's looks like this:

I think this photo is from an early car, the mark doesn't seem to be on my flywheel. I've rotated the cam through two cycles (clockwise) and found the cam timing mark both times but haven't found the flywheel mark.

I've pulled the plugs and covered them using the plug wires. On the last cycle the plug wire for #1 blew out of the hole it was in, leading me to believe I'm at #1 TDC. I'd rather not mess up my head so if someone could tell me the best way to confirm my belief on an early S2 I'd appreciate it.
Old 01-28-2018 | 07:18 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

if you can see down that inspection hole you should be able to "see" two missing teeth on the flywheel indicating TDC for the S/S2 engine.
also i don't remember if s/S2 has it or not on their FW, but if you crawl underneath the car there is a notch on the bell housing that should line up with a line/notch on the flywheel.
Old 01-28-2018 | 09:20 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Spencer -

I didn't see two missing teeth as expected in the upper port where the timing sensors are located.

Is the lower port you mention the one shown here? Under the car, driver's side, clutch to to torque tube area?
Old 01-28-2018 | 09:44 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

You have to pull the starter to see the flywheel and bell housing marks underneath.
Old 01-29-2018 | 11:11 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

in your photo near the bottom you captured the "notch" in the BH that should line up with the mark on the FW, if the S2 FW has one.
Old 01-29-2018 | 11:56 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhowell371
You have to pull the starter to see the flywheel and bell housing marks underneath.
I'm not sure the starter needs to be removed. If you still have the lower shield over the flywheel, that might need to be removed. Here's a view of the marks.

I'm not sure the S2 uses the top markings. Even if it does, the lower marking is easier to verify.

If you don't have the supplemental pages to the service manual for the 16 valve engines - it's worth searching for.

OK - I missed the fact that the photo was of your car. You do have the shield. Remove it, then line up the mark on the flywheel with the notch in the bell housing (in red). The other inspection hole is for clutch disc wear.

Old 01-29-2018 | 12:37 PM
Arominus
Race Car

I can confirm that the S2 BH and flywheel do have the notch as shown in scotts post, it is by far the easiest method! I do pull the starter for this type of service, but only because once i get it to TDC i lock in place with a flywheel lock in the starter opening. IMO the lock is required to ensure nothing gets out of place while getting the cams setup.
Old 01-29-2018 | 01:06 PM
MAGK944
Nordschleife Master

Old 01-29-2018 | 06:29 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Scott at Team Harco
I'm not sure the starter needs to be removed. If you still have the lower shield over the flywheel, that might need to be removed. Here's a view of the marks.

I'm not sure the S2 uses the top markings. Even if it does, the lower marking is easier to verify.

If you don't have the supplemental pages to the service manual for the 16 valve engines - it's worth searching for.

OK - I missed the fact that the photo was of your car. You do have the shield. Remove it, then line up the mark on the flywheel with the notch in the bell housing (in red). The other inspection hole is for clutch disc wear.
Thanks Scott.I may be able to see the mark with a flashlight, otherwise I'll take off the shield. As I recall it's just 4 bolts.

Scott.
Old 01-29-2018 | 06:31 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arominus
I can confirm that the S2 BH and flywheel do have the notch as shown in scotts post, it is by far the easiest method! I do pull the starter for this type of service, but only because once i get it to TDC i lock in place with a flywheel lock in the starter opening. IMO the lock is required to ensure nothing gets out of place while getting the cams setup.
Yep, that makes sense. The starter has to come off anyway, not that shield, so if I can see the mark through the starter that would be best.
Old 01-29-2018 | 06:49 PM
944hal
Pro

After you line up the mark on the bottom of the bell housing, then look down the inspection hole on the top. :You should see the mark there also. They can get dirty and hard to see. Take a dab of white paint and put in on the flywheel to mark it.
Old 01-29-2018 | 07:09 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 944hal
After you line up the mark on the bottom of the bell housing, then look down the inspection hole on the top. :You should see the mark there also. They can get dirty and hard to see. Take a dab of white paint and put in on the flywheel to mark it.
I haven't seen it yet though. What I've been doing is rotating the crank until the cam mark shows up, then checking the upper inspection hole for the 0T mark after squirting it down with brake cleaner. I figured after two full cycles I'd see the upper mark, but whether it's just too dirty or it isn't there I can't be sure.

I'll work on finding the lower mark through the starter hole and see where that gets me.
Old 01-29-2018 | 07:30 PM
Arominus
Race Car

I would just pull the shield, its so much easier to see the mark, you have to go down there to pop the lock in anyways.
Old 01-31-2018 | 09:54 PM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

It was real easy to find the lower mark Scott circled, didn't even need to pull the starter. Can't say I ever did find the upper mark through the bell housing. Could be I just couldn't get the angle of the flashlight right.
Old 02-01-2018 | 09:51 AM
Scott at Team Harco
Just a car guy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic
It was real easy to find the lower mark Scott circled, didn't even need to pull the starter. Can't say I ever did find the upper mark through the bell housing. Could be I just couldn't get the angle of the flashlight right.
I don't think the S2 flywheel has that upper mark. I could easily confirm this, as my engine is still out of the car. But then.... I would have to remember to take a look...

Quick Reply: S2 Timing Marks