Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

944 Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 10:41 PM
billatlanta
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 944 Questions

I am having a PPI done on an 1986 944 N/A. It has 120k miles and the owner has detailed records since his acquisition several years ago when the car had 70k miles. The cosmetics on the car - some scratches and scrapes on the front and side spoiler areas. The body is in OK shape, the front seat is shot and a crack in the dash.

My prime concern is the mechanics - It drove real solid on the test drive but there was a thumping around 35-50mph apparently coming from a rear wheel out of balance or slighly dented rim.

The car had a new top end, timing belt, and water pump at installed at 93k miles (Feb 2002), when the belt went and bent the valves. The belt was adjusted twice 95k and 105. The clutch shortly after he purchased it at 73k miles, new brake pads (front) around 110k.

My questions:

1. When should the timing belt be done again at a 30k interval, or 45k or 60k. When I scanned prior posts I have seen responses on all of them?

If it is at 30k then it would be due soon. How much should one expect to pay a Porsche shop for it?

2. The a/c does not work. The condenser reported to have been replaced but apparently it needs an evaporator? Any ideas on cost?

3. The oil pressure light comes on once in a while, but the gauge measures adequate pressure. Any thoughts?

Anything else come to mind that may need to be checked or serviced. Also any guestimates on what it is worth.

Thanks in advance. This board is awesome.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Brian McCoy
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: 944 Questions

Originally posted by billatlanta
My prime concern is the mechanics - It drove real solid on the test drive but there was a thumping around 35-50mph apparently coming from a rear wheel out of balance or slighly dented rim.
My guess on the thumping sound would be CV joints/axles. Not that big of a deal to replace, but they can leave you stranded. Come to think of it, when I've heard them in the past it was more of a clicking sound ~ guess it all depends on how you name sounds....

1. When should the timing belt be done again at a 30k interval, or 45k or 60k. When I scanned prior posts I have seen responses on all of them?
Those who don't want to press their luck do the belts at 30, pumps at 60. Those who press their luck go longer, often without issue (but every so often with issue). For cost, I've heard everything from $1000 to $3000 but think that anything below $2k is probably fair.

Anything else come to mind that may need to be checked or serviced. Also any guestimates on what it is worth.

Thanks in advance. This board is awesome.
The PPI will turn up the rest that needs attention. The mechanic should give you a top 5 list of what's important to check/replace. As for value of the car, it's a buyers market right now and I'd say no more than $3k consider the impending belt change. Though you are getting records back 50k miles so there's a little room to fugde.

Got any pictures of the 'other' P-car?
Old 12-17-2003, 11:13 PM
Red 944
Addict
Rennlist Member

I'd worry about the bottom end, if the belt went and pistons and valves got too friendly and lower end wasn't rebuilt, what kind of shape are the pistons in? 45k is the factory recommended I believe for intervals. I'd also want to know if the belt were replaced before it went, to see if owner kept up with maintainance, or if the original belt broke.
I don't think I'd pay more than $3k for it, that's just me though.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:43 PM
josephsc
Race Car

Location: Albany, CA: celebrating 100 years of independence from Berkeley, CA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

2. The a/c does not work. The condenser reported to have been replaced but apparently it needs an evaporator? Any ideas on cost?
$200 for evaporator -- hopefully won't need any hoses. Plus refrigerant, labor.

3. The oil pressure light comes on once in a while, but the gauge measures adequate pressure. Any thoughts?
Oil pressure sender needs replacing?

Check for leaks (oil, radiator, milk shake, tranny, etc, etc..) -- they all add up fast. The fact the exterior/interior of the car needs work suggests to me that the previous owner didn't take good care of the car -- so I'd suspect the mechanics won't be good either. I'd shop around some.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:48 PM
xsboost90
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

sounds like the car was not regularly maintained if the belt broke before.....but if you want to invest the money, it could be nice. The evaporator is the core under the dash for the a/c unit. Sounds expensive...a/c work is never cheap. Bump could easily be just a tire or wheel, mine does this, i need to rebalance my tires on the front. The oil light comes on when it is low, common for these to use alittle oil...check it out.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:54 PM
billatlanta
Racer

JosephSC - The cosmetics on the car were the result of scratching the front spoiler on a parking curb. The dent on the side was the result of improperly jacking the car up, so the side spoiler as abrasion marks.

Red944 - I will check for leaks - I am told it is as dry as a bone underneath. We will see tomorrow.

I will keep my fingers crossed about the bottom end.

Brian - thanks for the info. It is a local car in Atlanta. As a matter of fact I do have pics of the other P-Car, just not sure how to post it.

The guys is looking at $3500. He said it is his bottom line price. The car appears nicer then the one I saw a month ago for $4500.
Old 12-18-2003, 12:26 AM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Bill, as others have said, take the car over to Jim Ellis and get a PPI done. it will turn up a LOT of things that you may not see. I bought my '88 N/A for $3500 and its been great! I hope you find one!

Quick Reply: 944 Questions