Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for a specific 951 ad....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2003, 03:07 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for a specific 951 ad....

Does anyone here remember the following ad...? It was one of the first 951 ads & USUALLY appeared as a 2-pager. On one side, facing the reader, was a red street 951 w/a bunch of it's stats listed underneath it (217HP, 2998lbs, etc) & on the other page, aimed at the reader, was a white Le Mans racer that the street car was modeled after- it said "BOSS" on the front of it (from what I remember) & had several hood scoops, 3 squarish vent holes in the intercooler panel that were shifted to the driver side (not centered) & had extra wide fenders that wrapped around like a curtain & almost scraped the ground & had it's stats listed underneath it (410HP, 2040lbs, etc...). I would really like to get a copy of this ad on computer- if anyone here has it, could you please post it, OR, if you know where I could find it PLEASE let me know...

Thanks a lot,
Robby
Old 12-14-2003, 03:15 PM
MM951
Race Director

Received 49 Likes on 39 Posts

I know I have that mag somewhere around my house...I believe it was from a R&T...you can have it for shipping if I can find it..I'll go look now!
Old 12-14-2003, 03:21 PM
Sami951
Drifting

http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/Ad-944GTP.jpg

Straight from Danno's Racer X website at http://members.rennlist.com/951_racerx/

Old 12-14-2003, 03:30 PM
951Tom
Three Wheelin'

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

If you'd like to see the old technical ads from the 80's:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/porsche951/index.htm
Old 12-14-2003, 03:34 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

SWEET! THANKS A LOT Sami! Also, thanks to Mike for offerinng the magazine- I have a copy of a magazine that ran it too- might have been R&T- can't remember- I'd have to dig, but, I really wanted to save it on computer but dont have a scanner....

Is there a simple way to resize that? when I maximiz it, it's HUGE & wont come near fitting on my whole screen, but, when it minimum size, it's too blurry to actually read.... I have XP & I have a little arrow thing at the bottom right corner of most pics that allows me to take it up to one larger size... Anyway, that's what I wanted- thanks again... I'd like to post the pic on my other thread about nose vents, so people can see the way the GTP had only 3 vents & they were toward the driver side for whatever reason- it LOOKED cool anyway....

thanks a LOT!
Old 12-14-2003, 03:37 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

It's not the same engine or turbo setup.

The pre 944's, the 931's, used the older Audi designed engines. The hood scoop is for the intercooler that was on the top of the engine. The holes in the nose piece were to bring more air into and around the engine as they bypassed the radiator going over it's top.

You could build a replica from a 924S by using the front fenders from a 944, fiberglass rear fender flairs, a non working hood scoop and holes in the nose piece. You would have to take the plastic baffel out from under the nose piece that block off this area to see any air flow into the engine compartment.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:44 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Originally posted by 951Tom
If you'd like to see the old technical ads from the 80's:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/porsche951/index.htm
Great collection!

Do you have these as higher rez images? Would love to get a CDR if you do. I have some of the orignial brochures in high rez if you want to trade.
Old 12-14-2003, 03:52 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Robby,

Find Irfanview. It's a free image viewer and you can easily use it to resize your images and to make a "slideshow" of a group of images (great fun to pick your fave 951 pics and run them together when you're near but not using the computer.

Thanks for the images guys! Very cool! I have the BIG 1986 944 Turbo only brochure here and several of the other 86 brochures that Porsche put out since they have some nice coverage of the same year car as mine
Old 12-14-2003, 03:57 PM
Robby
Addict
Rennlist Member

Tom- thanks for the link- that's a great page of ads....

SoCal- I never knew all that about the engine stuff- still, it made some killer HP...410(!)... You said you would have to remove the "plastic baffle from under the nose piece" to allow air to flow through.... Are you referring to the air pan underneath the engine coming off the chin spoiler? If so, I've actually thought about this- I'd love to find a way to get some more air ciculating through the engine compartment- BUT, that pan helps reduce Cx- all the pans combined reduce it from .35 to .33- not the end-all-be-all, but still. I was wondering though- let's say you created some sort od underbody panel (from CF or something) that covered the entire underside (or MOST of it) of the car? Like the C5 Vette- it didn't really have the pans, BUT, it was designed to be FLAT underneath for just that purpose- it definately helped, b/c the car had a Cx of .29(!). Anyway, I had always wondered, let's say you did a panel like that for the whole underside of the 944's- well, it's porbably POSSSBILE that the car would want to lift a little more- depends on HOW the air got underneath at higher speeds. SO, I remembered some RARE little mod that was made for late '80's 16v GTi's- was supposed to take air under the car & smooth the underside, to improve Cx (Gti was .36 & Scirocco 16v was .38) AND, it had scoops so that it would angle the air to suck it up into the engine/chassis & ACTUALLY SUCK the car downward to the ground reducing lift, etc- it was supposed to add the equivalent to ~15HP, etc- I have a hard time beieving most of it b/c IF you bring more downforce, you autmoatically INcrease Cx, so it would be hard to benefit BOTH I would think. ANYWAY, it gave me the diea- to do something similar for the 951- it wouldn't HAVE to be ONE panel that covered the entire underbody, BUT, could be a couple- they could be angled right in the right places to scoop the air up into the engine bay, yet, still have most of it covered for Cx, etc & still suck the car downward- it could be donw w/THREE big panels, for the front, middle, & rear- anyway, it's kind of wishful thinking, but, I always thought that SOMETHING more could be done under there- especially since the little panels reduce Cx by .02 already, I would think you could at LEAST reduce the Cx a little more by covering more of the underside, but, if it somehow caused more lift b/c of air getting underneath the car(???)....

Andrew- I'll check it out... thanks...
Old 12-15-2003, 12:07 AM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

The 931 turbo race car -- called a 944 GTS by Porsche -- was an impressive factory race car. Set up the consumer demand for the 944.

Under the nose piece on the NA's is a piece of plastic (or metal) that blocks off the nose piece and redirects air from the bumper and grill openings to the top of the radiator. The 951 (turbo) has an intercooler in this area. I have not had the nose piece off of a turbo and could not tell you what flow director baffels it may have.

Personally I find the mechanical design of the cars highly tweaked and not in much need of owner experimentation.

Keep the under belly pans on the car. They do help.

Last edited by SoCal Driver; 12-15-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:13 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anyone have the first image on a server that isnt dead *** slow? It is taking forever, even on Cable modem.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Better still someone got it where they can convert it to PDF.
Old 12-15-2003, 12:15 AM
iloveporsches
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone have the first image on a server that isnt dead *** slow? It is taking forever, even on Cable modem.
Same here, and I'm on a T1 that sees 1MB/s downloads sometimes. The site was open for about 2 minutes and the pics still weren't loaded.

For us, competition provides a constant source of challenge and new ideas. And we'll continue to race Porsches for as long as we build Porsches.
Not because we fell it is neccesary to chalk up more wins than we already have.
But because when we introduce a performance car, we like to be sure it's going to perform
I think that little tidbit from the ad explains the logic behind the Cayenne and the end to factory-supported racers. After all, the Cayenne isn't a performance car, so why would they need to test it?
Old 12-15-2003, 06:48 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Originally posted by Matt H
Dunno if it's too late now, but I just woke up and uploaded it here:
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/asujamaa/Ad-944GTP.jpg

Old 12-15-2003, 09:06 AM
Matt H
Race Director

Much better, thanks.

Quick Reply: Looking for a specific 951 ad....