Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 924S Build Thread : Deep into the Blue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 11:54 PM
DSMblue
Three Wheelin'

Received 200 Likes on 154 Posts

Looks nice, but if you went to that much work to pull everything apart, why not just have a shop do a full color change spray?
Old 11-29-2017, 09:34 AM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Received 342 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by DSMblue
Looks nice, but if you went to that much work to pull everything apart, why not just have a shop do a full color change spray?
Thanks for the comment. I can appreciate your thought process as I worked through that myself.

There are several reasons for doing it the way we are:

1. I was keen to do something we had not done before; I've paid plenty of body shops in the past
2. Vinyl requires less care than a paint job; which after son number 1, is something I value
3. I'm not convinced I want the car to be blue forever and when the car comes back to me in about 5 years, I'll have options
4. It is highly probable my son will get into a fender bender. Nothing $30 or $40 worth of vinyl and a body panel can't fix.
5. Similar to point 1, I wouldn't trade any "easier route" for the route I'm taking with my son as we're both enjoying the hell out of it.
Old 12-05-2017, 04:35 PM
auzivision
Drifting

Received 73 Likes on 39 Posts

Love the wrap job and the father son bonding time.

I'm sold on giving this a wrap job try. Looks like it's right up my alley and I have a few cars to mess with including an 83 944 and a 73 Alfa Romeo spider.

Keep positing your progress and maybe you can have your son follow you into the mountains next year!
Old 04-09-2018, 06:08 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Been a little lax on posting. The wrapping is complete and the car is now sporting Porsche Script door handles, no more window tint and all new door/window/sunroof/hatch/rear taillight seals.

It has taken so long as my son plays HS Football and we ended up tackling (pun intended) the remainder of the exterior wrap and re-seal over his Spring Break. I'm super happy with how it came out. We'd probably get a B- grade from any vinyl pros but that's the beauty of vinyl, we'll just tackle things again if we like.

Here's a few pics....

15 year old repainted an old hood badge we had lying around....

It has really been rewarding thus far and my kiddo has been involved every step of the way!

The car looks so much better (wish I had a clearer photo) with new seals, script door handles and no more tinted windows (at least for now)....

Next up are putting on the re-finished (by us with Wurth Wheel Paint) 968 16-inch wheels ...

... and we'll be going back into the car to address Noise Cancelling, Alarm installation, Addition of Power Door Locks and putting in the old-school Alpine Amplifiers from the era when this car would be in its prime.

I'll also begin tearing down the engine for a re-seal. My son may miss some of this due to Spring Football but he'll still have an active hand in nearly all of it!

The goal is to be running by end of year.

More later!
Old 04-12-2018, 02:18 AM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can i make a suggestion on the stereo front? buy a KLA industries sub box and stuff an 8" alpine type-r subwoofer in it, power it with a small amp (2-300w rms) and run it in the rear cubby. its life changing and mounts flush with the rear floor.

Clean and lube the door latches while its apart too.

sub box:
http://www.klaindustries.net/subwoofer/subwoofer-1.htm

Sub: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500SWR....html?tp=68848

Good guide for sound deadening installation, the top foam is an optional thing: http://www.raamaudio.com/pages/How%252dTo.html

My vid on the door handle/latch system:

Last edited by Arominus; 04-12-2018 at 02:40 AM.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:55 AM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Thanks, Arominus!

Great video and good advice. I have multiple Sound Deadening materials which I'll write up when that is underway.

completely disassembled the door latches and flushed them out with brake cleaner then hit all moving parts with White Lithium Grease. I may look up that other grease you showed in your video.

My only issue is the door locks are a little finicky since moving the tumblers from old handles to Porsche Script handles. The driver's door works fairly well but the passenger tumbler has a mind of its own. I flushed both tumblers with Brake Cleaner to get all the deposits out and will likely find a graphite lubricant for the internals (since WD40 and the like will just cause a build up).

I also installed some aftermarket power door lock actuators which will tie to the alarm so keyed entry may not be a priority soon.
Old 04-17-2018, 10:23 PM
Arominus
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jej3
Thanks, Arominus!

Great video and good advice. I have multiple Sound Deadening materials which I'll write up when that is underway.

completely disassembled the door latches and flushed them out with brake cleaner then hit all moving parts with White Lithium Grease. I may look up that other grease you showed in your video.

My only issue is the door locks are a little finicky since moving the tumblers from old handles to Porsche Script handles. The driver's door works fairly well but the passenger tumbler has a mind of its own. I flushed both tumblers with Brake Cleaner to get all the deposits out and will likely find a graphite lubricant for the internals (since WD40 and the like will just cause a build up).

I also installed some aftermarket power door lock actuators which will tie to the alarm so keyed entry may not be a priority soon.
Porsche just had the cold grease in the locks, my new handle came with a new lock and its the same grease as the rest of the mech. Make sure the barrel is lubed with grease and it will work better.
Old 09-08-2018, 11:30 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Sorry for not posting for a while. Working on a car in a garage during Florida Summers doesn't really cut it for me.

With that said, we've made progress.

- Aftermarket Electric Door Locks have been added and an alarm installed
- Seats re-stitched where pulling apart.
- Freshly repainted 968 Wheels and new tires installed
- Rear seat (lower) delete performed and stereo installed

I'm currently waiting on a local to refinish the dash. I should have it next week (of course he's had it for a month and keeps promising next week!) When I get the dash, I'll get the black carpet to cover the lower rear seat delete.

We are REAL happy with the old school Alpine Amps (2 3522S and 1 3553). Here's the breakdown of the stereo now....

Keep in mind this is a 15 year old's budget car build

DUAL XHD6430 with Bluetooth/USB/Aux input and Ipod/Iphone control
Sound Storm SX310 3-Way Crossover

Old School Amps ---- (Because I love them!)
Alpine 3553 Amplifier (35w x 4) - Front and Rear Speakers
Alpine 3522s Amplifier (30W x 2) - Center Dash Tweeters
Alpine 3522s Amplifier (100-125W X 1 into 2 Ohms) - Subwoofers

Speakers -

Alpine SXE-4625S - Front and Rear speakers (in factory locations) - perfect fit!
Rockford Fosgate - Prime R1T-S - 1-inch Tweeters - will be installed in center of dash
Polk Audio db1040 Subwoofers - Installed in former spare tire well - so far so good

Also - storage doors added to rear side compartments (see pictures)

DPI Marine DPF Black Flush Series Hatch Door, 9" x 15" O.D. (Gander Outdoors) - link

Here are a few pics of the stereo progress.....

Lots of work left to do!....
Old 09-10-2018, 08:10 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 142 Posts

Great story. I am hoping to do something like this with my 14 and 11 year old boys.
Old 09-11-2018, 06:34 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Carrera51
Great story. I am hoping to do something like this with my 14 and 11 year old boys.
Thank you! Cheers! I highly recommend it.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:25 PM
drscottsmith
Three Wheelin'

Received 99 Likes on 71 Posts

Looks good Trey! Y’all keep it up!
Old 09-24-2018, 01:01 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

A few more updates....

Rear Seat Deleted and replaced with carpet covered AMP rack -

Fixed the Odometer (Gear Slipped)

All lights now work (inside/out) with LED bulbs

DIY "Ice Shark" inspired heavy battery cables

Headlight Relays installed (won't be tested until engine install)

Both through the firewall AC lines have been pulled for rebuild by local mechanic

New Brake Rotors, Lines and Pads all around (Calipers and hardware painted VHT Flat Black with VHT Clear)

Short Shifter Installed with New Shift **** and New Inner Boot (Leather)

Old 11-30-2018, 11:08 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

No pictoral updates but we're working on the car with a fury (engine assembly, firewall brace install, heater box replacement, AC lines replacement, Fuel line updates, etc...)

Our goal is to turn the key on December 31. I have taken off half of December and I have NO PLANS of disappointing my son!

However, since the engine is out of the car, in pieces waiting for a reseal and we have much ground to cover, keep us in your BEST thoughts my R/L Brothers and Sisters!
Old 12-03-2018, 11:38 AM
lamrith
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great story! Keep it up!
Old 12-14-2018, 11:52 PM
jej3
Three Wheelin'

It's go time! Engine is nearing finishing and the car is wanting to be started.

Short To Do List....

- Finish engine including clutch install
- Replace Fuel Pressure Regulator, Damper, all Front/Rear Fuel Lines, Pump, Strainer, drain old gas and add new
- Re-install AC hard lines through firewall. Add new condenser (Parallel Flow DIY) and rebuilt compressor.
- Replace Heater Core (WYAIT) and Heater Core Lines
- Install Master Cylinder, Clutch Master and Slave
- Clean up Coolant Reservoir and Windshield Reservoir (bathe them in bleach, hydrogen peroxide and hair coloring )
- Install Engine
-Install dash

But we're getting there....

Quick Reply: 1987 924S Build Thread : Deep into the Blue