Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A tale of two S2 Coupes

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2017, 01:07 PM
jhowell371
Burning Brakes

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts

When I tired of my daily run around 84 and wanted more power I choose an S2 coupe over a Turbo due to personal mechanical preferences. Whenever I drive my garage queen 84 I miss the S2's zip, better A/C and Turbo chassis but appreciate the 84 for being the beautiful car it is. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Old 10-30-2017, 03:19 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 496 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by jhowell371
When I tired of my daily run around 84 and wanted more power I choose an S2 coupe over a Turbo due to personal mechanical preferences. Whenever I drive my garage queen 84 I miss the S2's zip, better A/C and Turbo chassis but appreciate the 84 for being the beautiful car it is. Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
Agreed! The base models are NOT fast cars... not even zippy. That's why I have a 84 928 Euro as my fun car
Old 10-30-2017, 03:27 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrob007
It's amazing to me the difference in pricing between the S2 and the Base models.
It's not nearly so amazing when you have the opportunity to drive the two back to back then factor in the seriously smaller production number of the S2.

..... and to the original post, I'd have taken the $7500 one and made it a $15k car over the course of a year or so (I'm a bottom feeder too)
Old 10-31-2017, 12:12 PM
paredown
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sobamaflyer
It's not nearly so amazing when you have the opportunity to drive the two back to back then factor in the seriously smaller production number of the S2.

..... and to the original post, I'd have taken the $7500 one and made it a $15k car over the course of a year or so (I'm a bottom feeder too)
Great minds or fools...
Old 10-31-2017, 12:17 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Oh the Grand Canyon-esque parting of me and my money there has been for the love of shiny metal objects
Old 11-25-2017, 12:37 AM
Otto Mechanic
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jbrob007
I'd like to have a sorted S2 or Turbo, but at $10K - $20K more... not so much. Don't overlook the very affordable base models - they make great daily drivers and are still a stylish fun car.
Have you driven an S2?
Old 11-29-2017, 01:09 AM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

BAT can be fickle; that 38k car would have gone for way more if it had been well photographed, lacked dash cracks and had some more desireable options (sport seats, M030, LSD, etc). Agree with RJ80 that it looked at least a bit fishy - I saw it on Boston CL before it was on BaT and messaged a bunch with the seller; seemed like a good guy but not a 944 expert. Love that color combo though - why can't we get awesome interior colors anymore! 944s had linen, black, grey, burgundy, and blue!
The other car was an absurd steal. Yeah, maybe some maintenance needs here and there but nothing crazy.

I'm interested to watch these values in the next couple of years. They are great cars, but there are too many of them to ever be truly special/super valuable. I think nice S2s and 951s have some room to grow, but we're starting to step on the toes of some G body 911s which doesn't make sense. Case in point: the 968 that sold today on BaT for $36k! That's crazy! That said, I think they are still a fine place to park money for 5 years: drive it, enjoy it, and sell it for a bit more than what you paid.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:21 AM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Originally Posted by dionphaneuf
They are great cars, but there are too many of them to ever be truly special/super valuable. I think nice S2s and 951s have some room to grow, but we're starting to step on the toes of some G body 911s which doesn't make sense. Case in point: the 968 that sold today on BaT for $36k! That's crazy! That said, I think they are still a fine place to park money for 5 years: drive it, enjoy it, and sell it for a bit more than what you paid.
I agree with you in parts but think there are factors you are overlooking. I don't see anything but the most time-capsuled or BAT Fluked regular NA 944 eclipsing impact bumper 911s either..... but you can't compare S2s, 951s or even 968's that way, given the age they are at, the originally small and now dwindling numbers they should be more appropriately compared to impact bumper 930 (or the speedster or turbo look models or...). Given that, yes, these were lower price point cars and they will always follow the "special" big brothers but that means there's plenty of room for them to surpass the low end of the 911s.

truth in speculating: I LOVE seeing S2's pull big money on BAT, makes me feel like the one parked in my garage is worth that much more :-D
Old 11-29-2017, 12:06 PM
dionphaneuf
Rennlist Member

I guess thinking about it a bit more, I could see a world where a mint Turbo S or S2 is worth more than a garden variety (nice, but not pristine) impact bumper car, and maybe even a 964. I just think there is a lot of work to be done to shed the 'red headed step child' status. Than again, 912s seem to have done that recently for reasons not clear to me. But like you, I too love seeing the S2 prices go up and it gives me more rationale to spend money fixing and improving things on mine to bring its value up even more. I think I might even go a little 'Tasteful OEM+' - MSDS header and new stereo being the main ones. Nothing gaudy or garish, just show the car the love it deserves.

Oh the Grand Canyon-esque parting of me and my money there has been for the love of shiny metal objects
Don't I know it.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:30 PM
sobamaflyer
Instructor

Than again, 912s seem to have done that recently for reasons not clear to me
Because they look like a 911 to the masses and there are a whole lot more people can't afford a 911 at today's prices. I think everything that gets old enough gets past the buying public that only remember them as the bottom of the barrel and worth nothing. There's a whole generation of adults now that have no idea that 912s, 914s, 944s, etc were practically worthless used cars 20 years ago, Hell, I'm in my middle 40s and don't really remember when lots of 356s and long nose 911s were worthless (remember when so many "updated" long noses?).

At the same time the buying public than can now afford a toy or 2 that they thought was awesome 30 years ago, when they had no hope of affording one, begins to drive the prices up the hill because we have a tiny bit more cash and are willing to dole it out for the [still] decent ones. Now if I can only learn my lesson and stop selling off those toys right before they start to really be worth something because I want another one!
Old 11-29-2017, 03:48 PM
paredown
Advanced

<snip> Agree with RJ80 that it looked at least a bit fishy - I saw it on Boston CL before it was on BaT and messaged a bunch with the seller; seemed like a good guy but not a 944 expert. Love that color combo though - why can't we get awesome interior colors anymore! 944s had linen, black, grey, burgundy, and blue!
The other car was an absurd steal. Yeah, maybe some maintenance needs here and there but nothing crazy...
Nice to have my inclination confirmed. I'm still looking online a lot, but realistically I'm not ready yet--still too much work to do on the house...

I seem to find a lot of 1987s--was that a peak year for 944s?

Quick Reply: A tale of two S2 Coupes