Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pressure Gauge Readings HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2017, 09:30 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 487 Likes on 185 Posts
Default Oil Pressure Gauge Readings HELP!

1987 944 Base model with recent TB/WP, balance belt, and oil cooler seal job... I posted this on my on-going thread, but I really need some quick advice so it's reposted here...

Finished everything and buttoned her up. The car started right up and she purrs like a kitten, so we did the timing belt & balance belt correctly. Saw a problem on the ride home. The oil pressure gauge is pegged above 5 (won't budge) and the exclamation light along with the bottom red portion of oil pressure light is coming on (not the low oil light). The exclamation light and the oil pressure light go out when you reach 2K rpms. There's no major leaks and no lifters tapping so I think the engine is getting oil.

Kinda worried here so I need some advice since we worked on the oil cooler and the OPRV... We used the alignment tool and everything seemed to fit like a glove - no issues. But we also replaced the oil pressure sensor.

Could the exclamation & low oil pressure light be caused by switching the leads on the oil pressure sensor terminals? Basically wiring it up backwards? I haven't been able to get under the car to test my theory (switch the leads yet). Or am I looking at an over pressurized oil situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:39 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

yes its possible to switch them like that and get those symptoms
Old 09-21-2017, 11:12 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
yes its possible to switch them like that and get those symptoms
Guess I'm jacking her up to have a gander. Hope like hell that's the issue. Thanks!!

I'll report back...
Old 09-22-2017, 12:48 AM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Reversed the solid green with the green/white striped wire (should have been my first clue) and the gauge works correctly with no exclamation point scaring the B-Jesus out of me... So there are pos + / neg - terminals on the oil sending unit... who-da-thunk-it?!?!

The downside is while under the car I discovered fresh oil dripping from the bottom three engine cover bolts. Removed them and got a nice big drop of oil on the garage floor. Somewhere behind the engine covers... not a bad leak, but UHG!! We were just in there... Oh well, life goes on...

Thanks for the guidance - it was spot on!

Quick Reply: Oil Pressure Gauge Readings HELP!