Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Racing (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/1025430-racing.html)

Christopher Zach 03-02-2019 09:20 AM

Where if I might ask? I'm 6 foot eight, so sizing and finding one that will fit in the car is critical. Ebay is not quite going to work here.

harveyf 03-02-2019 11:50 AM

The tech process should be explained on the website for the organization that you are signing up with for the event.

Call Linda at Apex Performance. She is quite knowledgable about safety gear. And yes, you will want to get a Snell rated helmet, as almost all track event organizations have set the Snell helmet as the only acceptable one to have. They update the ratings every 5 years so as said above, you will be getting a 2015 model.

I'm 13" shorter than you so not a problem for me but I suspect you will not find any substantial difference in helmet profiles but Linda would know for sure. Check the archives but most people do things like remove material from the seat bottom or mount the seat directly to the floor. Of course, you can lean the seat back and get some relief.

mj951 03-02-2019 12:27 PM

Agree with harveyf, it's less of a helmet solution and more of a seat solution.
At 6'-3"+ and in stock seats my helmet would occasionally touch something up top, I believe the sunroof frame molding. Once i installed sport seats (Recaro SRD's) it was a non issue.
If you have more plans for the track I would look into a different seat. As you shop seats consider a sub-belt hole for eventual 5 or 6 point harnesses and harness bar.

Edit: Oops, missed the topic of this thread...better seat selections and information in posts below.

T&T Racing 03-02-2019 01:41 PM

I am 6' 4" and my seat is a Kirkey 17 or 18 degree layback seat, full head containment, mounted on slider. The top of the helmet is below the top roll cage bar by using the broomstick measurement

GPA951s 03-03-2019 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by T&T Racing (Post 15675405)
I am 6' 4" and my seat is a Kirkey 17 or 18 degree layback seat, full head containment, mounted on slider. The top of the helmet is below the top roll cage bar by using the broomstick measurement

So I need to get a containment seat and I sat in the 71170 at the PRI show, Its a 20 degree layback. I have been thinking about how I was going to use sliders with it. As it is "Not Recommended" by Kirkey to mount with sliders I am debating in hooking a Cable to the seat back brace off the cage and design the whole deal so when the lever is pulled the tracks will slide along with releasing the back brace..

How did you mount yours? and what sliders did you use? Do you have a seat back brace? With 18 degree layback I assume you are using the 88 series seat..

951and944S 03-03-2019 11:22 AM

'Planted' is the best solution for a low slider.

I have a never been used one if anybody's interested.

Containment seats are the way to go, but yes, makes getting in without a slider more difficult.

I also have an OMP Pista seat, never been mounted, never been used. It's past it's legal date but can be used with a seat back brace per rules, or sent back for resert.

T

951and944S 03-03-2019 11:25 AM

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/im...OMP-HA684E.JPG

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4273/3...3a4e1214_c.jpg

T

T&T Racing 03-03-2019 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by GPA951s (Post 15677011)
So I need to get a containment seat and I sat in the 71170 at the PRI show, Its a 20 degree layback. I have been thinking about how I was going to use sliders with it. As it is "Not Recommended" by Kirkey to mount with sliders I am debating in hooking a Cable to the seat back brace off the cage and design the whole deal so when the lever is pulled the tracks will slide along with releasing the back brace..

How did you mount yours? and what sliders did you use? Do you have a seat back brace? With 18 degree layback I assume you are using the 88 series seat..

I mounted the sliders to the floor using the OEM inserts and grade 8.8 bolts One insert spun so I drilled it out and used a thick grade 8 fender washer and grade 8.8 bolt. I installed an adjustable back brace from I/O Port. The seat is the 88 series. My harness is 6 point.

T&T Racing 03-03-2019 02:26 PM

I mocked up the seat with a fabricated plywood built seat and found that for my height, an 18-20 degree layback was the only option. It did elevate my knees relative to the steering wheel. Corrected the interference by installing a steering hub extension, and my hand placement and elbow orientation also improved.

GPA951s 03-04-2019 09:10 PM

T, what is the seat size?

951and944S 03-04-2019 10:49 PM

I will check and let you know.

I'm 6'2" - 6'3" and 225-235lbs and I bought it for myself.

I have a seat back brace from one of the top manufacturers too, Brey Krause probably, goes with the seat.

Was gonna use it in the 968 my son races sometimes, but the car owner bought a full carbon $2500 OMP for it.... :roflmao:

T

Otto Mechanic 03-05-2019 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by 951and944S (Post 15677029)
'Planted' is the best solution for a low slider.

I have a never been used one if anybody's interested.

Containment seats are the way to go, but yes, makes getting in without a slider more difficult.

I also have an OMP Pista seat, never been mounted, never been used. It's past it's legal date but can be used with a seat back brace per rules, or sent back for resert.

T

Thanks for posting pictures. I know you said you've never used it, but are the HALO cutouts in that seat effective for giving you an "over the shoulder" view of what's behind you? If so they might be better than the seat I've been looking at, the Sparco Ergo with removable wings. I don't think I've ever really tried to look behind me on a track, but it might be a nice feature to have if it works.

951and944S 03-05-2019 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by Otto Mechanic (Post 15682856)
Thanks for posting pictures. I know you said you've never used it, but are the HALO cutouts in that seat effective for giving you an "over the shoulder" view of what's behind you? If so they might be better than the seat I've been looking at, the Sparco Ergo with removable wings. I don't think I've ever really tried to look behind me on a track, but it might be a nice feature to have if it works.

One of my friends has same seat (the Pista) in an S2.

We use Hans so head rotation pretty limited but you DO have a better peripheral when a car is next to you.

Will get pics tomorrow, Mardi Gras here today.

T

wildcat077 03-06-2019 02:04 PM

Some Halo racing seats have better vision clearance than others, i personally found the Cobra seat fit me like a glove.
I originally bought an OMP because it was a few hundred $$$ cheaper, sat it in a tire while watching tv at home and returned it the next day
and spent the extra money on the Cobra.
It was well worth the extra money ... take your time and find the one that fits YOU ...

Trying to look behind you on a race track is not a good idea ... lol
Just sayin ...

Otto Mechanic 03-06-2019 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by 951and944S (Post 15683231)
One of my friends has same seat (the Pista) in an S2.

We use Hans so head rotation pretty limited but you DO have a better peripheral when a car is next to you.

Will get pics tomorrow, Mardi Gras here today.

T

Understood about looking behind with a HANS, but I'm looking for a duel use seat. The removable wings on the Ergo are meant for that, but if this gives you over the shoulder vision on the way to the track (no HANS) that would be an improvement.