Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   924/931/944/951/968 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum-70/)
-   -   Racing (https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-944-951-968-forum/1025430-racing.html)

951and944S 09-15-2017 07:10 PM

Racing
 
Big PCA race in New Orleans vicinity NOLA Motorsports Park all weekend.

My son Eon is racing in SP2 in one of our cars.

Not much direct competition in his group but the SP3 and D cars are expected to be faster than a 2.5 8V NA.

The one SP2 guy that did show is national NA PCA points leader though...:roflmao:

You 944 regulars might recognize another RL'er in the time sheets from Practice 3 -

https://www.race-monitor.com/Results/Session/6177570

Will post weekend updates and pics. There isn't enough racing content here in the 944 forums to reflect the amount of guys that track the model.

T

951and944S 09-18-2017 12:50 PM

Mmmkay, 100+ views and no comments, I'll take that as zero interest in future race threads...:(

Anyhow, son outqualified what was (and will be after points tally added for NOLA) the national points leader for PCA SP2,
was gridded 4 in an 18 car field populated by D 911s, SP3s and GT cars.
Won both sprints on Saturday and was up by 30 seconds in SP2 in the 90 minute enduro at the 1 hour mark after pit stops with 30 minutes to go, and

BANG.....!

Popped LF ball joint.

Third time in 8 years a victory snatched by a ball joint pin.

See a-arm thread later,

T

GPA951s 09-18-2017 02:30 PM

Factory A Arms? They do allow Racers Edge or High Strung 44 Arms.. Personally im going with the High Strung and will just Replace the pins every season..

951and944S 09-18-2017 04:22 PM


Originally Posted by GPA951s (Post 14482906)
Factory A Arms? They do allow Racers Edge or High Strung 44 Arms.. Personally im going with the High Strung and will just Replace the pins every season..

Yep, been DE and racing the factory arms for phew, 8-10 years.

There's nothing wrong with the arms, never had a problem with one other than the ball joint pin.

I use the 19mm diameter, longer, geometry correcting pins.

Car is still on the trailer, could be elongated and broken pinch bore in spindle but it'd be a first.

I have a few emails out right now on components to bore and thread factory arm to receive an outside diameter threaded screw in ball joint with length replaceable non tapered pin.

Like these - https://www.qa1.net/suspension/ball-...le-ball-joints

You got any connections for ball joint sphericals, 22-24mm od, 17 or 19mm id with adjustable length non tapered 17 or 19mm pins...?

T

GPA951s 09-18-2017 04:30 PM

No I dont, Wish I did because I want to make my own A Arms, Similar to the High Strung with a Shoulder on the Ball Joint... About 6 Months ago there was a Thread on this Very subject and the conclusion was that the Pin itself was Fracturing... and some people attributed it to the way the car is tied down in the trailer? Interesting but not sure I buy it... After all how many G's is a car pulling on the track -VS- G force in a trailer? Im Starting out in Stock F so I cant run the longer pins.. Not until I move to SP3.

951and944S 09-18-2017 09:22 PM


Originally Posted by GPA951s (Post 14483182)
No I dont, Wish I did because I want to make my own A Arms, Similar to the High Strung with a Shoulder on the Ball Joint... About 6 Months ago there was a Thread on this Very subject and the conclusion was that the Pin itself was Fracturing... and some people attributed it to the way the car is tied down in the trailer? Interesting but not sure I buy it... After all how many G's is a car pulling on the track -VS- G force in a trailer? Im Starting out in Stock F so I cant run the longer pins.. Not until I move to SP3.

Yeah, I was in that thread, it was probably me with the tie down through the wheels theory because it seemed to happen mostly right off the trailer.

All previous failures were with 17mm pins and the spindle bore is usually worn which allows less than 100% clamping...., pin moves, more wear in spindle, domino effect, then..., snap.

Like I said, at least for what I'm doing, the stock arms are great and I have plenty of them.

I want to either bore and and modify the stockers to accept a thread in like I linked or have billet stock copies that have a similar feature designed in.

The arms are 12 1/4" wide so would take an 18" x 18" x 2" billet each, so $500 material plus hardware.

I'll buy the equipment to make them myself before I pay $1700 for a pair.

You in....?

:D

T

951and944S 09-18-2017 09:23 PM

Paging F1 Rocks.

T

Oddjob 09-18-2017 10:00 PM


Originally Posted by 951and944S (Post 14483814)
Paging F1 Rocks.

Oh no, you want this thread to take a nose dive fast....



Do you have any in-car video to post? That should help getting the racing discussion going.

951and944S 09-18-2017 11:05 PM


Originally Posted by Oddjob (Post 14483897)
Oh no, you want this thread to take a nose dive fast....



Do you have any in-car video to post? That should help getting the racing discussion going.


LOL, are you really tight with him but taking a friendly jab...?

I just remember him mentioning he had the equipment and wanted to machine some arms once upon a time.

Sharky too but I think he's long gone.

Video, hmm, of NOLA...?

I'll have to see what my son's posting to youtube....the in car ball joint going should be good.

Here's the same event, last year for now.

The two SP3s are the Eurosport cars, so...remember, he's in a 140hp 8V NA...:p

He did a POV mounted to helmet for this one so it's kinda weird but you can see the rest of the 8V cars disappear in his rear view.


T

V2Rocket 09-19-2017 12:27 AM

ahem..
wonder if subaru arms might work...i recall years ago somebody was fitting RX7 arms to a 944 too.

if you want i can go measure... :corn:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e4/fa...648538899b.jpg

curtisr 09-19-2017 09:06 AM


Originally Posted by 951and944S (Post 14482680)
Mmmkay, 100+ views and no comments, I'll take that as zero interest in future race threads...:(

Perhaps this is the reason for that. :)

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums >
Performance & Competition Discussion Areas

951and944S 09-19-2017 09:39 AM


Originally Posted by curtisr (Post 14484536)
Perhaps this is the reason for that. :)

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums >
Performance & Competition Discussion Areas

Well I'll be darned....,

How I missed that in 17 years around here, soon after the forums were created from just an email list is beyond me...:rolleyes:

If there's room for entire threads - "how do I get my drain plug out",

"what brand chamois is everybody running", and

"sun visor clip r & r how to DIY",

then surely there's room for a 944 specific race thread.

:biggulp:

T

951and944S 09-19-2017 09:42 AM

[QUOTE=V2Rocket;14484189]ahem..
wonder if subaru arms might work...i recall years ago somebody was fitting RX7 arms to a 944 too.

if you want i can go measure... :corn:



SPEC legality issues aside, that's against my religion,

It's in the Bible....:icon107:

T

curtisr 09-19-2017 10:24 AM


Originally Posted by 951and944S (Post 14484577)
Well I'll be darned....,

How I missed that in 17 years around here, soon after the forums were created from just an email list is beyond me...:rolleyes:

T

Not that it should matter where it is. After all, we're reading it. :)

951and944S 09-19-2017 11:01 AM


Originally Posted by curtisr (Post 14484652)
Not that it should matter where it is. After all, we're reading it. :)

944s get no love in the Racing section.

You get back snarky replies about "oil leaking on track", "unreliable this and that".

That's why some of the run group is so pi$$ed when my son pops his 87 NA in the second row of a 50 car field with 25 E and D 911 "real race cars"...., or his qualy time would put him 6th in a 20 car Boxster only group.....:roflmao:

T


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 08:15 PM.


© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands