Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the 944 a good first car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 PM
Cam P
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the 944 a good first car?

I found a 1986 944 with the following description:
Porsche has 60k miles on a rebuilt motor that was done in 2015 head gasket pistons intake gasket timing belt the car had new starter cap rotor and plugs and wires also has new fuel pump and fuel filter car does run and drive it does need Brake pads they started marking some noise and it stops horribly 2000obo takes it clean title in hand
and from the same listing but on a different site:
It's a 1986 Porsche 5 speed standard has new fuel pump fuel filter starter cap and rotor plugs and wires all done in the past month the paint on the car isn't to bad is satin white it does need brake pads stops like crap right now interior is in real good shape for the year and also has a very small exhaust leak the new gasjetbis 11 dollars just haven't had the time to get it and put it in looking for 2200 obo or trade for a diesel truck or another car lmk text or call
and from another site:
Starter
Cap rotor plugs and wires
New clutch
62k on a rebuilt motor
This's car is in great shape for its year no body rot runs and drives great shifts perfect it is rear wheel drive it is a 5 speed standard asking $2200 cash in hand for any test drives if you don't have cash in hand don't message me
How often will I be making repairs/how much $$? How does it handle? Anything I should know?

Pics: https://imgur.com/a/65VqF
Old 09-15-2017, 07:33 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know about n/a cars but I can tell you that every 951 is a 16k - 18k car IMHO. Yeah you may find one for 8 grand but by the time you fix and refresh everything to a level that truly represents an everyday driver you'll dump anther 6-8k in it in short order. And you better be doing most the work yourself or you can double that number. My guess is if you buy an n/a car for two grand I'd expect your going to end up spending another 4-6k. Insider if you pay to have a clutch job done it could cost $1500 - $2000.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:57 PM
smbryan
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Last Lemming
I don't know about n/a cars but I can tell you that every 951 is a 16k - 18k car IMHO. Yeah you may find one for 8 grand but by the time you fix and refresh everything to a level that truly represents an everyday driver you'll dump anther 6-8k in it in short order. And you better be doing most the work yourself or you can double that number. My guess is if you buy an n/a car for two grand I'd expect your going to end up spending another 4-6k. Insider if you pay to have a clutch job done it could cost $1500 - $2000.
How about a 1986 Turbo 944 with 21k miles and all service done? recent new clutch master cylinder, cam and balancer belts, tensioners, water pump, fluids, and new tires. Any idea what you think it is worth and/or needs?

thanks!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:36 PM
pfarah7
Rennlist Member

Received 227 Likes on 148 Posts

Cam P,

My view on your question is: If the body is straight with absolutely no rust and the interior isn't shot to sh&t, that price may be fine. mechanical repair/restoration is quite doable. Good luck with your decision.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:47 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smbryan
How about a 1986 Turbo 944 with 21k miles and all service done? recent new clutch master cylinder, cam and balancer belts, tensioners, water pump, fluids, and new tires. Any idea what you think it is worth and/or needs?

thanks!
Well that sir is rare unicorn indeed! But unfortunately not the norm. And it is certainly worth more than 18k. HOWEVER if the maintenance is based on miles and not age who knows how reliable the rubber items (fuel lines anyone) under the hood are. May still cost you a good bid of preventative maintenance to have piece of mind. Still worth a good pretty penny with that low of miles.
Old 09-15-2017, 11:49 PM
Last Lemming
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by smbryan

thanks!
Well that sir is rare unicorn indeed! But unfortunately not the norm. And it is certainly worth more than 18k. HOWEVER if the maintenance is based on miles and not age who knows how reliable the rubber items (fuel lines anyone) under the hood are. May still cost you a good bid of preventative maintenance to have piece of mind. Looks like you're already going down the "preventative" road. Still worth a good pretty penny with that low of miles.

BTW why a clutch with so few miles?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:00 AM
elgy
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam P
... How often will I be making repairs/how much $$? How does it handle? Anything I should know?
If the major systems are in good condition you should not be making a lot of repairs, these cars are reliable IF they have been reasonably well cared for and the maintenance is up to date. 944s are renowned for their great handling. What you should know is on this forum... over 2000 pages and counting

My 924S (which is a 944 mechanically) cost me $3000 and I have spent about $3800 in parts and maintenance since buying it in 2011. I do all my own work, which is necessary unless you have a lot of spare money.
Work that I have done...
1) timing and balance belts, water pump and associated parts and seals.
2) clutch and associated bits and pieces.
3) brake pads, shoes, cables, master cylinder and slave cylinder.
4) repaired the gas tank - early 944s have a metal tank that almost always develops cracks, but the one you are looking at has a plastic tank I believe. This repair was done in a shop but I removed and installed the tank.
5) fuel pump
... and lots of little bits and pieces, all pretty standard maintenance items for a 30 year old car.

The car is reliable, it has never come home on a flat-bed.

In the near future I have to change the belts again and I have to reseal the steering rack and power steering pump... the parts are already included in the total mentioned above.

From the limited info and pictures it looks like a nice car and I think the price is a bit low... is there something else wrong? I say that because it looks like a $4000+ car to me, less a brake job for $500 to $600? Or $150 if it really is just pads
Is there any documentation on maintenance and repairs? It is recommended to get a PPI (pre purchase inspection), not something I have ever done...

If you are mechanically competent and have reasonable financial resources to put into maintenance over the long term, I'd say go for it - you can get all sorts of help on this site.

My opinion is given freely and is worth about that.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:47 AM
951Dreams
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 46 Posts

This gets asked every few months it seems. And opinions will vary. Most of these are right around 30 years old ish. I don't care what kind of car it is, anything that old is going to need things.

Personally I think they're great cars. I'm restoring/rebuilding my 87 right now to be my son's first car. But if you don't have tools, a place to work, and an existing interest in mechanics or a strong desire to learn, I'd likely go with something newer. However TBH it's a crap shoot with any car. The main thing to keep in mind is parts are a lot harder to come by then say a Honda Civic or Chevy Cruze. While the local part houses can get a surprising number of parts for these, most I've found are special order. If it's your daily driver, and your only car, it could be a pain. Didn't expect to be able to get many parts same day. That can be bad if it's how you get to work.

My suggestion if your going to get into older cars, have more than one. That way you have a fair chance that at least one is drivable. I have 4. One up on jackstands, one with a bum transmission, and two I can use to get to work.

Last edited by 951Dreams; 09-17-2017 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:47 AM
NS_Carguy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that is a nice looking car , the 944s look great in white .
I am new to 944s so can't offer you any meaningful info on if the car has potential or not.

I can share my experience having just bought my 1st 944 a few weeks ago .
I got mine a 1988 with 59k on it it is in good shape , and I am thrilled with the car .The add for it read much the same as yours . rebuilt engine , ect . mine has a new clutch , and did not have the break issue yours mentions .
I paid $4500 cdn around $3300us .

since buying the car I have spent :
alignment $300
2 dme relays $60
driver side seat belt lock stock thing $80
voltage regulator $20
haynes manual $32
starter $200
fuses $10
3 ton floor jack $120
battery cables $65
various cleaning supplies waxes ,leather treatments , and associated materials ext $200.

I spent the 1st week of ownership frigging around with the starter and chasing electrical issues . some of which did not really exist, others I think i know how to fix and others still that will be long term winter projects to track down .
( The PO on my car has been into the wiring in several places and i need to get in there and track back exactly what he did and why . )

Things i know i will need to do over the winter and next spring before driving season .
Replace timing and balance belts , and probably the water pump they all look good but i have no documentation on when they were done last . $500
replace driver-side front strut . $800 for an OEM strut from Porsche , $200 for the insert from Koni , but if i replace one with a Koni insert i will need to do the other and if i am going to do the front 2 I might as well do the back as well so $600 to $800 for koni shocks in the spring , ( I am still researching on if Koni is the only company with the cut a strut option ) then another alignment , but this time they said it should only be $80

2 new front tires if i can find 2 that match the rear (200 to 300), otherwise 4 new tires (400 to 600).

back hatch latches $50 each

replace driver-side tail light ( it has a crack which is bugging me ) $100+shipping

That should do it for me , and i will have a well sorted out car , and just about everything on the list except the alignment i will do myself.

As she is she runs and drives great . I am very happy with the purchase and comfortable with the money I have spent and will spend on it .

I have not found parts availability to be a major issue as long as you are good with using the internet to order stuff in . The cost or parts has not been too scary , they are some what more expensive than standard parts but only about 30% . It is the shipping that drives them up . The time lag seems to be the biggest issue , usual 10 days or so .

All in all I would not trade my car for another , and am very glad i bought it .
I hope this info is of some use to you .
Old 09-16-2017, 01:54 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

If you look at all the 944s still on the road and rate them all on their merits as a reliable daily driver, the bell curve distribution is pretty wide. The car itself has documented areas that need constant attention but overall they're still reliable. The problem is that after 30+ years of multiple people trying their hand at ownership, the actual end-product you drive is basically determined by its history. The guy you quoted in those ads doesn't sound like an enthusiast. Why hasn't he fixed the brakes...if it's really just pads, he's a dumbass for not spending $50 and 45 mins... and then being able to ask a higher price.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:01 PM
931guru
Drifting

Received 286 Likes on 233 Posts

The most expensive Porsche is the cheapest one. Buy the one you are looking at and you will soon understand...:rofl mao:
Old 09-16-2017, 04:25 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you mean first car ever that you need to depend on, I would say no. All Porsches cost the same - the only difference is how much you pay up front vs how much on maintenance down the stretch. Buy a new Cayman and the cost is up front. Buy a 944 and the cost is monthly. You want a Honda for your first car.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:57 PM
odonnell
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought a 944 as my first and only car. I was in college and it worked out, because I could take the bus to class and get rides from friends when I had to. Overall it was like owning a car on hard mode. It was well-maintained when I bought it so it could have been worse. But overall, positive experience - it taught me a lot about cars and working on them. Still have it....'83 NA.

But seriously unless you have those resources to fill in for a broken down car, and you're willing to do your own work, walk away.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:16 PM
Chalt
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by raleighBahn
If you mean first car ever that you need to depend on, I would say no. All Porsches cost the same - the only difference is how much you pay up front vs how much on maintenance down the stretch. Buy a new Cayman and the cost is up front. Buy a 944 and the cost is monthly. You want a Honda for your first car.
I second this. I had a '79 924 when I was 20 and it was my only car. I had a job and went to college. Most of the time it was fine. But one day on the way to work in Houston traffic the clutch cable broke. I made it, miraculously. About a year later, I decided to get a second car and have the 924 for fun, not to get me to school and work daily. We have owned several Honda civics. Cheap to own and reliable transportation. Don't have a Porsche if it is your only car and you aren't rich.
Old 09-17-2017, 07:29 PM
Chalt
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

BTW, on another note. We found a 1993 Corolla on craigslist for $375.00. We snapped it up to help a friend, a college student. She has been driving it 13 months now.

I think she put a new battery and an alternator in it. Oh yeah, and brake pads and two brake cylinders that leaked. All wrenching was done DIY - parts were cheap and the work was not difficult.

Is it pretty? No, it has been repainted a different color and has some old paint showing through in some spots, it has some small dents, no hubcaps (well it did have 4 hubcaps when we bought it but they fell off one at a time while driving). Does it have AC? No. We all call it the Green Machine. The thing just won't die! I don't even know how many miles are on it -- a LOT. It has never left her stranded.

When I hear people say they can't afford a car, I tell them about the Green Machine.

Point is, there are cheap DD's out there to get you from A to B. Then buy yourself a Porsche.

Last edited by Chalt; 09-17-2017 at 07:36 PM. Reason: added more

Quick Reply: Is the 944 a good first car?