Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1987 944 Balance Belt and Oil Cooler

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 09:47 PM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 192 Posts
Default 1987 944 Balance Belt and Oil Cooler

Were in the middle of a TB/WP/Belt/Roller & Tensioners replacement and just realized we'll need to replace the seals/gaskets on the oil cooler. We have a few questions:

1. Can we do this job WITHOUT a fly wheel lock? If so, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. How can we determine if the balance shafts / gears are positioned correctly when we put on the new belt? I'm not sure the previous owner had them positioned correctly (lots of vibration from the motor). We're also replacing the motor mounts (another source of vibration).

3. The oil cooler is leaking oil into the antifreeze... Ordered gasket / o-ring packet from Pelican. Will flush the radiator, clean out the hoses and change the oil / filter... any other suggestions prior to adding new antifreeze, oil and filter.

4. Or, can the oil cooler lines be capped off until I can fix the oil cooler problem?

Thanks in advance!

Joel
VP 928 Buckeye Landsharks

Last edited by jbrob007; 09-03-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:10 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 502 Posts

everything you could ever need to know:
http://www.clarks-garage.com/shop-ma...ure-index4.htm
Old 09-04-2017, 02:49 PM
KevinGross
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

1. Yes but I would recommend using the line-up tool for the oil pressure relief valve. You'll also need the counterholding tool for the balance shaft sprockets.

2. Check out the workshop manual, it describes things well. You can use a chopstick in cylinder 1 (with the spark plug removed) to determine TDC with accuracy. Or you can shell out for the 200 mm dial indicator extension and holder that Baum sells (or used to...)

3. Use a cup of Shout plus fill cooling system with water, run engine to warm, drain. This will do a good job of purging any oil. Mercedes makes a citrus powder useful for the same purpose, I can dig out the p/n if helpful.

4. I don't understand this option. Lines to the oil radiator? Capping them won't solve any problem for you. Good luck!
Old 09-06-2017, 09:08 AM
jbrob007
Three Wheelin'

Received 500 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by KevinGross
1. Yes but I would recommend using the line-up tool for the oil pressure relief valve. You'll also need the counterholding tool for the balance shaft sprockets.

2. Check out the workshop manual, it describes things well. You can use a chopstick in cylinder 1 (with the spark plug removed) to determine TDC with accuracy. Or you can shell out for the 200 mm dial indicator extension and holder that Baum sells (or used to...)

3. Use a cup of Shout plus fill cooling system with water, run engine to warm, drain. This will do a good job of purging any oil. Mercedes makes a citrus powder useful for the same purpose, I can dig out the p/n if helpful.

4. I don't understand this option. Lines to the oil radiator? Capping them won't solve any problem for you. Good luck!
Thanks for the tips... especially the "Shout" procedure - hadn't thought of how to clean out the residual oil from the radiator, etc. We've completed the TB/WP and front engine seals - took a little longer because of the learning curve (we only work on 928s) but we got there eventually. I was thinking we could by-pass the oil cooler as a temporary fix, but it's not gonna happen - parts are on the way as I type.

Replacing the motor mounts today. Once the oil cooler seals/gaskets show up we should be good to go!

Quick Reply: 1987 944 Balance Belt and Oil Cooler