Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

959 The American Dream (long)

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 12:29 PM
t1tec
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 959 The American Dream (long)

The 959 has acquired almost legendary status in the USA, not least because Porsche never intended the car to be sold there. Devoid of the catalytic converters that even by the mid-1980's were a legal requirement in America, it couldn’t even be registered (for road use, anyway) as a personal import.

The story goes that Porsche built around 30 US-specification 959 Sports in 1987. But when eight were shipped to the country they were impounded by the authorities because they were deemed not to be road-legal, and seven were later returned to Europe. The eighth car (or so the story continues) was allowed to remain for display purposes only, and remains in the hands of a private collector, although it can’t legally be driven on public roads.

But now there’s good news for US-based 959 enthusiasts (said to include Microsoft founder Bill Gates among their number). A change in the law means 959s can now be driven on American roads. But – and it’s a BIG but – they must conform to the local exhaust-emissions regulations that were in place in 1988. And the 959 still doesn’t have the necessary catalytic converters for this.

Or at least it didn’t until a Californian company, Canepa Designs , come up with a way around the problem. The 959s complete exhaust system is replaced with a custom-made system incorporating 993-model 911 Turbo catalytic converters and brand-new Garrett turbochargers. Because the original Motronic engine-management system can’t cope with cats, it’s replaced with a modern Motec unit, together with all the necessary wiring and sensors.

No less significantly – and possibly of use to European 959 owners, too – we understand that Canepa Designs also modifies the 959s unique wheels so that they can more easily be fitted with conventional (for which read cheaper!) tires.

All of this comes at a price, though. A fully rebuilt and refurbished US-Legal 959 (complete with custom-made car cover) costs a hefty $425,000. Still less than you’d pay for a Carrera GT, of course, and much more exclusive, too!

Canepa Designs (831) 423-5704

Article originally appeared in the November 911 & Porsche World Magazine.
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2003, 12:45 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

Canepa, said in excellence that he was the 1st to import a 959 into the US. man is he full of ****.

http://www.tajmagaraj.com/canep.php

July 17, 2003
Editor
Excellence Magazine
To the Editor:
As the person who wrote the original research paper convincing the DOT to import the Porsche 959 under Show and Display (S&D) and having subsequently imported the first street legal 959 for Mr. John Dixon, I wish to correct several errors and add commentary to your September article on Mr. Canepa, "his" 959s, and the history of the 959.

The headline on the cover of the September issue is not correct. Information obtained under the Freedom Of Information Act (FOIA) on all S&D cars imported as of 12/02 shows four 959s which were approved by DOT in 2001/2002 and certified by G&K, an EPA approved ICI in Santa Ana, CA. Three of the cars went to owners in CA and the fourth is a car in Seattle which I was involved with. So Mr. Canepa does not appear to have "certified" the first 50-state approved car. The S&D list also show three Porsche 959s which were certified by Northern California Diagnostic Laboratories NCDL) and are not on the list of 959s referenced in the Excellence article. It is interesting to note that Mr. Canepa and his company, Canepa Design, are not an EPA approved certification facility (ICI); hence, Mr. Canepa cannot certify a Porsche 959 or any vehicle. While the car in the Excellence article, Mr. Chandler's 030, carries the sticker of the ICI, NCDL, and contracts exist between Mr. Canepa and NCDL for some type of conversion work (contracts obtained under FOIA), certification including the actual conversion work has never been formally approved by EPA although EPA has continued to look the other way when such subcontracting has occurred. I have the original list of all those who were to purchase the 959 Sport (US) models. There were in fact 30, not 29. Mr. Canepa ordered one of the original 30 (#905023). This information is from Porsche AG. I have represented the owner of 905001 which is for sale. There were in fact 284 959s originally built including the Sport models. In the early 1990s eight more were built, the last one being a red car registered to Michael Schumacher, current F1 World Champion, by his manager Willie Weber. Mr. Schumacher changed the color to silver and the car was sold in the late 1990s.

On page 65 of the Excellence article the author states that ". it (959) needs the catalyst setup Porsche didn't bother to develop for it's 250-ish run of 959s in the late eighties. The problem is that the stock Motronic engine management system is not set up to recognize the oxygen sensors required to make catalysts work." This is not correct. I refer you to sheet five of the electrical diagram of the Porsche 959 Service Manual which clearly shows the wiring for one oxygen sensor. The definitive history on the 959, Jurgen Lewandowski's "Porsche 959", refers to the catalytic converter option (P. 115) and also lists the 959, internally known as F12SP, on page 159 that was used to develop a catalytic converter for the 959. The aforementioned Seattle 959 has Porsche catalyst systems which, at approximately $15,000.00 USD complete and installed, is far less than the amount it appears Mr. Canepa is charging. But don't try calling Porsche to order one.

As to the stock Motronic engine management system not recognizing the oxygen sensor, it is only a matter of reprogramming the EPROM. The circuitry exists within the Motronic unit and is activated by the reprogramming.

In addition, I would like to make the following comments. The Bridgestone tires originally fitted to the 959 are readily available to a 959 owner direct and the cost is approximately that of the Michelins which Mr. Canepa is using as replacements. I am at a loss to explain why anyone would want or need to change this well designed system. Modifying the wheels as outlined in the article raises the question of whether such modifications are safe and in compliance with DOT regulations. The cam box seals are mentioned and it should be noted that the cam boxes themselves were prone to leakage and cracking. For a time, the cam boxes were unavailable from the subcontractor to Porsche but the part can now be ordered from Porsche.

It always amazes me how horsepower figures are given instant acceptance when in fact there is little or no hard data supplied to support hp claims. Many of the 959s were fitted with the "power option" upgrade which includes some plumbing upgrades but essentially involves spooling the twin turbos together rather than sequentially as originally built. The Motronic system is modified as well. True HP as determine under Porsche test environment guidelines is approximately 515.

From reading the article, one might assume that the cars whose serial numbers are listed on page 68 belong to Mr. Canepa. According to the S&D list, all the cars were imported by individuals who are successful businessmen. Only VIN 900233 is listed as belonging to Mr. Canepa. S&D was designed to severely limit the ability of car brokers to import cars using this regulation. If a car was brought in under S&D, application must be made to DOT before the car is sold. Also, any car coming into the US under the S&D program must have an application made BEFORE the car is entered into the US. Converted race cars such as David Morse's 905023, have been denied because they were originally entered as race vehicles. Mind you, there are at least 10 959s which I opine are illegally in the US. Please note that the car listed in the article bearing VIN WP0ZZZ95ZHS900225 is in fact WP0ZZZ95ZJS900225.

Credit for legalizing the Porsche 959 for use on US roads should go to those who truly worked to make it happen. To Mr. Gates for creating S&D and Mr. Dixon for trusting me to bring in his car, the first street legal 959.

Bryan Milazzo
Bow, NH
Old 11-30-2003, 12:53 PM
t1tec
Instructor

Wow, interesting read hoffman.

There will always be the glory seekers!!
Old 11-30-2003, 01:17 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

Wow, it seems that Mr. Canepa just got 0wned!

Kids, the moral of the story is, don't take credit for work that is not yours.
Old 11-30-2003, 01:33 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

heres a pic of the Taj Ma Garaj (John Dixons) 959, the 1st legal 959 in the us, taken at a show this past summer.

yeah if you look on dixons website, there are more interesting things said. on top of that, all of the paperwork for the John Dixon 959 is shown as well.

OWN3D indeed.

http://www.tajmagaraj.com/canep.php
Old 11-30-2003, 01:57 PM
bloodraven
Race Car

Well, its not MUCH cheaper than the Carrera GT..but stil...*drool*
Old 11-30-2003, 05:50 PM
Alex Cook
Instructor

For $425000 I would hope they would include a car cover!

And, seeing as I'm here, here's my 959 photo contribution - the 1983 Frankfurt motorshow design study, spotted at the Porsche museum earlier this year:

One day...
Old 11-30-2003, 08:04 PM
jabbadeznuts
Race Car

I've always loved the Paris-Dakar 959. It's so funny to see a 959 that has been jacked sky high!
Old 11-30-2003, 08:38 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John Dixon's car is the first driveable 959 in the country, the first one in the country was Otis Chandler's white one, although this car was never allowed to be driven on public roads.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:12 PM
t1tec
Instructor

It would be interesting to see the vin #'s for the original eight shipped to the US.

I know the 959 series began with WPOZZZ95ZHS900001.
Old 11-30-2003, 09:33 PM
Antonio951
Drifting

pretty powerfull engine, 450HP 0-60 4.1 sec
Attached Images  
Old 11-30-2003, 10:38 PM
Mighty Shilling
Wax On, Wax Off
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gimme!
Old 11-30-2003, 11:00 PM
Fishey
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I always under the idea the 959 had 2 spark plugs per cyl (like a 993)

Quick Reply: 959 The American Dream (long)