Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch pedal travel

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2003, 10:46 PM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default clutch pedal travel

ok since my slave cylinder busted, i just replaced it today. now that the new slave cylinder is in, i bled the system with my dad. unfortunately, the system no longer feels like a truck and no longer has 5 inches of travel. now, it feels like the clutch pedal moves about 1 1/2 inches from completely engaged to completely disengaged. the point at which the clutch is totally disengaged is the same as it used to be, but the pedal now sits at least two inches below where it used to, i can pull the pedal all the way up, but theres ZERO resistance for that two inches back down until i hit the point at which the pedal comes back up to. i do, however, enjoy having 60% less clutch travel, as i can clutch using rotation from my ankle instead of having to use my whole leg. so my question is this: is this little travel ok? what am i supposed to have? can i keep it with this little travel, its so much easier to control! thanks!
Old 11-29-2003, 11:14 PM
Mike951
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have alot of clutch travel compared to my dad's 951S. I drove it last night, and had a similar experience to what you are describing as far as clutch travel. I suspect that the slave cylinder in my '86 is in need of replacement soon, because my dad's car had much less clutch pedal travel, probably a couple inches less. So, I assume that a small amount of travel is OK.

Mike
Old 11-30-2003, 12:42 AM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

The play is not okay. You most likely have an air bubble in the system, and need to re-bleed the clutch.
Old 11-30-2003, 04:43 AM
dime1622
I never notice, anyway
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not really play tho. and i bled the clutch like 8 million times, took like literally 40 times of clutching, opening bleeder, closing bleeder, pulling up clutch before i got any pressure at all. by the end, i just pumped the clutch pedal a ton of times until air bubbles stopped coming out of the reservoir.

the thing at clarks garage said that it would take a few times of pulling up the clutch pedal, yet we had to do it dozens of times. did we bleed the system wrong?

keep in mind that once the pedal comes back up the clutch is completely engaged, but theres ZERO clutch travel after the point at which the clutch is totally engaged

if i bled the system wrong, please help me out and enlighten me on how to do it correctly. thanks!
Old 11-30-2003, 07:14 AM
trebor_quitman
Burning Brakes

Not sure about the details, but I remember reading a post about air getting trapped, and unable to be bled unless you use a power bleader to force the air out. you could search for it, I believe it was originally a post about brakes.
Old 11-30-2003, 12:51 PM
Wormhole
Three Wheelin'

I always used a pressure bleeder, and even then had a hard time getting all of the air out. The combination of the pressure bleeder and pumping the clutch pedal eventually works. Having the front end raised higher then the back is supposed to help remove the trapped air, but never made a difference for me. I’m sure a pressure bleeder is not completely necessary, but it certainly helps especially for a one-man team like myself.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:38 PM
major
Advanced

Recently had my clutch, slave and master cylinder replaced on '87 944s. There should be ever the slightest amount of free play before the clutch disengages 1/4 inch or so. Took it back to the dealer 3 times until he got it right. With no play the clutch could be made to slip when engaged and too much play caused the clutch pedal to hesitate midway on its travel up and would pop all the way up after I took my foot off. Hope this helps. You need the slightest amount of free play at the top of the pedal.
Old 12-01-2003, 11:50 PM
FSTPRSH
Pro

I took an air hose and blew my lines out to empty them completely. Had to do that on a GSX-R750 also, air was hiding somewhere in the brakes, I thought surely after a quart of fluid there should be something. I reattached the empty clutch line and tighted the bleeder valve. Had a friend pump the clutch a little, then opened the bleeder. I had him hold the clutch about half-way in so gravity would allow the fluid to fill the line. Took about 4 or 5 bleeds and it was solid as a rock. I have very little play in my clutch. I've done that process like that three times, every time same result.
Old 12-02-2003, 12:09 AM
major
Advanced

Forgot to mention, the free play is adjusted by linkage at the pedal and not by bleeding of the fluid.

Quick Reply: clutch pedal travel