Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smog Test Q: Technican needed me to use stock air-filter even car passed smog test?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 03:33 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Smog Test Q: Technican needed me to use stock air-filter even car passed smog test?

Hi,

I live in California. When I purchased my 951, it was all stock but the PO installed a K&N cone air-filter in the car.

Today I brought my car to the smog test shop for a smog test. Since I was not sure if the car would pass, the smog technician (he's also the shop owner) suggested to do a dry-run test under the Training Mode of the test machine.

Turned out my car passed the smog test without problem, but the smog technician said he wouldn't pass me unless I change the K&N air-filter back to a stock air-filter.

I have no problem to do that. However, I just hope to confirm with you folks that the smog technician did tell the truth about he couldn't pass me with the K&N air-filter (even the car passed the smog test)... Or he just wanted me to go back for a 2nd test and charge me more money?

Thanks and with best regards,
Old 11-25-2003, 03:38 AM
led
Three Wheelin'

Did he say why? I personally think it's BS. Go to another place and ask them about it.
Old 11-25-2003, 07:10 AM
roadrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

To be legal in California, air filter assemblies that don't use the stock airbox are required to have EO numbers. Most decent shops would not risk fines and/or losing their Smog Check license over a small thing like an air filter for an average customer (i.e. someone he doesn't know)
Old 11-25-2003, 07:12 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for the clarification
Old 11-25-2003, 08:24 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

I think you actually came across a reasonably decent guy. He did not have to offer the pre-inspection test. Lots of technicians would have simply run the test and failed you on the "visual" portion of the inspection. My brother had a guy fail him because he did not have a washer under the wingnut that held the top of the air filter housing (on a ford V8). Talk about a jerk. He was happy to "retest" it later for a fee. I think CA has cut down on this practice, because you now see most (all?) places giving a certain number of free retests.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:04 AM
axhoaxho
Three Wheelin'

I think he is "semi-reasonably" decent.... because he did charge me $29 for that dry-run pre-inspection...
Old 11-25-2003, 12:44 PM
turbo944
Three Wheelin'

Thank goodness when I move out there I have a permanent address back here in TN so I don't have to get smog checks....$21.50 here to renew for the year too....
Old 11-25-2003, 12:54 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Andrew, that plan may or may not work out too well depending on how the cops out there think. If you get stopped with a Cali driving licnese with a Cali address and insurance card but TN plates they may give you some trouble and a ticket.

The insurance people may even give you some trouble because they want to know where the car is being stored and driven.

I got away with what you are planning between MN and IL but it was a lot easier claiming I had two places I traveled between that were only 400 miles apart. You will have a tough time making that arguement.
Old 11-25-2003, 01:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am glad we dont have these issues in Texas. You fail, you are entitled to 1 retest for free (though virtually EVERYONE will do it more than that). You would have to know someone to have it run in test mode as most people dont want to screw with it. It doesnt cost them anything (except the cost of the 5 gas). I dont recall EVER failing someone for visual though. I have failed for tires, window tint, etc. however.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:24 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Wasn't there something about the 944 not being required to have "an electrostatic air filter"?
Old 11-25-2003, 03:08 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

I was setting up a smog check here in Calidorffia and mentioned that the 83 engine had been replaced with an 86 and the fellow running the shop (Automobile Club) said that I would have to go to a referee.

Why I asked the engine is the same as the 83. Just because you used another year engine. But is is the SAME ENGINE I exclaimed. Doesn't matter he replied. So what if I say the engine has been rebuilt? That's OK he replies.

Go figure.

I'm taking a copy of the Porsche bulletin that says to remove and plug the vent hose from the belt cover to the air filter box. I'm not going to show it first.

As to other cars air filter housings: Many of the older cars have a NOx recirculation connector to the bottom (engine side) of the air filter. I can see an argument that the air filter housing has to be air tight on the engine side.

Most of the Ricers have two engines. One stock and then the one they have modified. They swap them to get past smog.
Old 11-25-2003, 04:42 PM
roadrunner
Instructor

SoCal Driver:

The referees will look up engine numbers and verify the correct equipment is on the vehicle for the updated engine. The have to do this for all makes so it's unlikely they would remember that '83 and '86 944s have the same emissions equipment. Sure it's a hassle, but once you get the emissions sticker reflecting the change, you can go to regular shops for subsequent smog checks. The regular smog techs are just following the chain of command.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:09 PM
SoCal Driver
Race Car

Too much hassel. Just don't say anything or if you have to just say it's been rebuilt.

Did pass except for the gas cap. Cap was good two years ago but not now. Had to get a generic to pass. I'll just save it for the next test in two years.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:19 PM
awilson40
Three Wheelin'

NC is going to OBD-2 testing only...all others are exempt. Man am I glad.
Old 11-25-2003, 11:49 PM
Skip
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

From K&N:

Are K&N filters emissions legal?

All K&N direct replacement filters are emissions legal. They do not require any modifications and go directly in the stock air filter housing. Universal clamp-on filters may not be legal in states where under the hood modifications are not allowed. Since they can be used on just about anything, it would be impossible to have all the different filters tested for all possible applications. Check your local laws if you are unsure.
Because K&N did not engineer the specific application for the 944, they did not apply for CARB EO. If the manufacturer of an aftermarket air filter assembly does not apply for CARB EO, then they are not authorized for use. Most of the major aftermarket intake manufacturers (the ones who actually make the kits, not the filters per se) apply for CARB EO, and that's how they are allowed to keep them on. Unfortunately, it really is splitting hairs, but you happen to lose in this case. Try to borrow a stock box, I guess...

Quick Reply: Smog Test Q: Technican needed me to use stock air-filter even car passed smog test?