Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looked at a 944 today, thoughts plz.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003, 01:56 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Looked at a 944 today, thoughts plz.

I went to look at a NICE charcoal grey 944 N/A today.

Rundown:
-1986 Charcoal Grey, black Leather interior
-210,000 KM (130k miles in the more useless system )
-No accidents
-5 spd of course
-Only a few records
-POWER STEERING RACK LEAKS
-17" ROH 5 spoke rims
-Lowered 2"
-New clutch a few weeks ago
-Tbelt done 2 years ago I think
-Some wear, small tear in drivers seat (this is what pisses me off cosmetically)
-FORGOT TO WRITE THE DAMN VIN DOWN, DAMNIT I ALWAYS FORGET THIS DAMN THING

Only other thing he mentioned was weirdness with the drivers side lock, which I think is the feature that prevents you locking your keys in... He seemed to think it was broken.

He wants $9900 but is willing to deal. I think its just high due to the $2300CDN clutch job a few weeks back.

Only thing im worried about its the power steering rack. Hes got the belt off now, so its manual.

What should I offer? What would need doing on this car? Im assuming engine mounts, lots of small things like that. Also Vancouverites, what would a new, preferable excellent/no tears driver seat cost me? The tear is the only bad thing cosmectically that I could find (and the yoinked hood crest, no scratches tho) and seat tears and such were the one thing I wanted to truly avoid.
Old 11-24-2003, 01:59 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Looked at a 944 today, thoughts plz.

This forum's edit and quote buttons keep screwing with my mind.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:03 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Re: Re: Looked at a 944 today, thoughts plz.

Oops pics coming
Old 11-24-2003, 02:03 AM
Randy_J
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

edge - PS rack leak - if it's the HP hose $235 Cdn installed, clutch job is only around $1800-2000 Cdn - check Excellence for rebuilt racks and PS pumps.

Seats - bad rips in leather can be expensive to repair with OEM, otherwise DIY at RENNBAY.COM. Or can be repaired if not too bad.

The real key is TIMING BELTS - when were they done last? If he has no answer or proof, count on another $1800.

If it is a private sale, insist on PPI at buyers expense as part of the deal. This gives you a real picture of the stuff you cannot see - like lower control arm issues, engine mounts, tranny mounts, etc. Those can make the costs increase dramatically, but will also give you a real negotiating position if you still want the car. You make the offer subject to getting the satisfactory PPI at the service place of your choice. Scan can do it, as well as Weissach.

Looks like you need a check list buddy = send me a PM and I'll email you the form I use when I go to look at used Porches.

OH, BTW - how did he lower the car 2" - if he just "cut the springs" walk, no RUN as fast as you can away from that car - it's not easy to lower a stock 944 NA.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:04 AM
johne
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you mean 10k in canadian. That seems about 3k CN too high to me but that is in atlanta GA values aka that car sounds like it is worth about $4.5k US

HTH,
john
Old 11-24-2003, 02:11 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Randy_J
edge - PS rack leak - if it's the HP hose $235 Cdn installed, clutch job is only around $1800-2000 Cdn - check Excellence for rebuilt racks and PS pumps.

Seats - bad rips in leather can be expensive to repair with OEM, otherwise DIY at RENNBAY.COM. Or can be repaired if not too bad.

The real key is TIMING BELTS - when were they done last? If he has no answer or proof, count on another $1800.

If it is a private sale, insist on PPI at buyers expense as part of the deal. This gives you a real picture of the stuff you cannot see - like lower control arm issues, engine mounts, tranny mounts, etc. Those can make the costs increase dramatically, but will also give you a real negotiating position if you still want the car. You make the offer subject to getting the satisfactory PPI at the service place of your choice. Scan can do it, as well as Weissach.

Looks like you need a check list buddy = send me a PM and I'll email you the form I use when I go to look at used Porches.

OH, BTW - how did he lower the car 2" - if he just "cut the springs" walk, no RUN as fast as you can away from that car - it's not easy to lower a stock 944 NA.
I asked about the lowering as soon as I heard about it, since I was worried about cut springs as well. Apparently the PO was the owner of a decent tire shop, thus lack of serivce records since he got the mechanic to do stuff. That worries me a bit... The current owner said as far as he knows it was new springs to do the lowering. I looked good and hard at it, couldnt see any funky camber that normally seems to come up with cut springs.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:13 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by johne
I assume you mean 10k in canadian. That seems about 3k CN too high to me but that is in atlanta GA values aka that car sounds like it is worth about $4.5k US

HTH,
john
Yes, CDN money. It is about 3k high, but he said he was willing to deal. Hes prolly just feeling the pinch from the clutch job, so I cant really blame him for being optimistic.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:20 AM
SidViscous
Big thirst, Sore Thumbs
Rennlist Member
Napoleon

Received 585 Likes on 375 Posts

"it's not easy to lower a stock 944 NA."

Hunh?

A little WD-40, the right sized sockets, a level area and some patience and it's done.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:34 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

nice looking car man...but 9900$ for 210,000km is outrageous...if the wheels and lowering is all he did...
he just wants to make the clutch money back...try to talk him down though, and do a PPI for sure...the guys at SCAN Automotive know their 944's...
Old 11-24-2003, 03:39 AM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by Friendan
nice looking car man...but 9900$ for 210,000km is outrageous...if the wheels and lowering is all he did...
he just wants to make the clutch money back...try to talk him down though, and do a PPI for sure...the guys at SCAN Automotive know their 944's...
SCAN is exactly where im going to take it for a PPI or any work

I keep bumming poor James tho, ive made 2 appointments now that fell thru
Old 11-24-2003, 03:52 AM
Friendan
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool...James is a really good guy...his 951 F***in rules...eurospec from japan...
...you mean you forgot? Definitely stick with them...

i dunno if its still there, but check out the right-hand drive imported skyline gt-r in the driveway...490hp!!!!!!! 4" exhaust all the way to the engine...
Old 11-24-2003, 04:46 AM
Dlefko
Burning Brakes

umm.. and did we forget our old friend water pump? after the PPI if you wanna knock some more dough off subtrack another $500 for water pump replacement. The car looks pretty straight from the outside and those wheel are really nice. As far as the interior goes, you have various solutions with the seats, but the dash, panels, carpet, etc. just look like they need a lil' TLC. Good Luck.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:53 AM
Rich Sandor
Nordschleife Master

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

BELTS
PUMPS

Control Arm ball joints
Tie rod end ball joints

Clutch

Power steering Rack / Hoses

Oil pan gasket

those are the main expense problems.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:57 AM
tifosiman
Race Director

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally posted by SidViscous
"it's not easy to lower a stock 944 NA."

Hunh?

A little WD-40, the right sized sockets, a level area and some patience and it's done.

Huh? That's the case for the back (eccentric), but the front is in no way that easy! The front would need short springs (hopefully not just cut) and/or a coil-over kit.

FWIW, that car does not look 2" lower than stock in the rear. It looks like it has been adjusted down about 3/4" with the eccentric. That's about the right look with the larger wheels that are on it.....

What's up with the lack of the crest on the nose? Have the holes been filled? Nice color!

Tifo
Old 11-24-2003, 11:05 AM
Antonio951
Drifting

theedge, check your pm.

Quick Reply: Looked at a 944 today, thoughts plz.