Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No oil pressure please help......................

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2017, 03:36 AM
lsejnoha
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No oil pressure please help......................

So me and my buddy just got done installing another motor in his 924 s. We finally got everything in properly to find out after starting it...No oil pressure! what could it be. I am wonder about the oil pressure release valve. There is a special tool to align this correctly but we did not have the tool so we put the seals and everything together and just attached it.. Could there be an issue because it was not aligned correctly that there is no oil pressure. is there a way to see if its the pump. we are at a loss should we depressureize the oil system entirely with the vacuum method. Should we try using a different oil pressure release valve. I may not have all the details as i just found out tonight that he is not getting any oil pressure whatsoever. He is certain, due to all that he has researched, but he is trying to figure out why there is no oil pressure in his new motor. I helped pull the old one out and now that the new one is in and finding out there is no oil pressure is a terrible feeling but we also know that it could be a number of things. Me, myself am not familiar with how an oil pressure release valve works entirely but i am guessing that if it was not aligned properly that it could effect the direction and pressure of the oil not circulating from the oil pump. I have a 944 turbo and have never had to deal with something like this but i am curious myself why there is no oil pressure. we have two other 944 motors sitting at our shop, one is a turbo motor and the other is his old motor that has bad compression and possible piston ring failure but to my knowledge both of these other motors that are sitting in our shop both have oil pressure release valves that we could possibly switch out to possibly solve our problem. I am also wondering that the turbo motor that is sitting in our shop possibly has a newly redesigned oil pressure release valve that might be better than the one on the new motor and his old 924 s motor. His new motor came out of an 85.5 or 1986 944 so I am not exactly sure if the oil pressure release valve are the same or if they are different. So we literally have 3 944 motors in our shop including the one we just got done installing on my buddies 924 s. Any inquiries or help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. Is there an easy way to see if it is the pump itself.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:47 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

the old school method is to pack the oil pump with vasoline during engine assembly but others have noted that you can apply a few psi to the dipstick tube and hand rotate the crank to prime.
Old 07-28-2017, 07:54 AM
F18Rep
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its very easy to assemble the crank pulleys wrong with result of intermittent oil pressure and wobbling power steering pulley. You might recheck that. Also a small amount of air pressure into the dipstick tube might help you get primed. Good luck... Bruce
Old 07-28-2017, 09:51 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 58 Posts

What's the history of the new engine? Did you do a full rebuild on it?

I'd start with making sure the oil pump drive gear and timing belt pulley are on correctly. But it also could be a cracked oil pickup tube or improper sealing in the girdle passageway.
Old 07-28-2017, 11:43 AM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

Originally Posted by thomasmryan
the old school method is to pack the oil pump with vasoline during engine assembly but others have noted that you can apply a few psi to the dipstick tube and hand rotate the crank to prime.
ill bite...how does this help?
wouldnt that just clog up the pump and prevent it from drawing in any oil ?
Old 07-28-2017, 03:54 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Surprised no one has asked this yet, but how is verifying no oil pressure? On my '84 motor I tried to install the OPRV using the tool and got it stuck so bad I had to hammer it out, guess I had the wrong tool, idk. I installed it without the tool and have had good pressure for a year. There were two different OPRV styles, a two piece and a one piece. I don't know when they switched or if they're interchangable. I'm sure Van or Spencer knows what date they switched down to the minute, what guy was working in the factory that day, and what he had for lunch lol.
Old 07-28-2017, 03:57 PM
V2Rocket
Rainman
Rennlist Member

Received 633 Likes on 490 Posts

october 23, 1986...3:24 pm...franz muller, wearing a blue shirt, with a stain of spicy mustard from his schnitzel sandwich.

i really don't know the differences or reasoning behind the OPRV revisions, other than you have to match your block with the OPRV style that it came with. i think the 3-piece early 944 version is really the best/simplest but i guess they must've changed it for a reason.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:46 PM
mikehayes
Racer

Originally Posted by V2Rocket
october 23, 1986...3:24 pm...franz muller, wearing a blue shirt, with a stain of spicy mustard from his schnitzel sandwich.

i really don't know the differences or reasoning behind the OPRV revisions, other than you have to match your block with the OPRV style that it came with. i think the 3-piece early 944 version is really the best/simplest but i guess they must've changed it for a reason.
hahaha

OP, check out this thread, lots of useful, concise OPRV info. Should help you out.
https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turb...alve-oprv.html

Quick Reply: No oil pressure please help......................