Notices
924/931/944/951/968 Forum Porsche 924, 924S, 931, 944, 944S, 944S2, 951, and 968 discussion, how-to guides, and technical help. (1976-1995)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

951 owner finally saying hello

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2017, 12:28 AM
t0mbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 951 owner finally saying hello

Hello!

I have been a longtime lurker and am finally getting around to saying hi! This forum has been absolutely invaluable to me and every single question I have had has been answered by simple searches to this forum. A brief history about me before a few pictures of my car. I bought a 931 back in 2005 and LOVED that car, which really made me fall in love with the transaxle cars. Unfortunately I started building that 931 to be awesome, but the build stalled and I never finished the car. Fast forward to last year when I bought a Guards Red over black 1986 951. I purchased this car as a weekend car to enjoy in the Colorado canyons and back roads. The car itself was exactly what I wanted- modified to the point of not being worth keeping original, so I can tune and build without destroying a clean example. Unfortunately the previous owner had done some pretty janky and crummy work, so the last year has been spent fixing that stuff while modifying the car.

The car as it sits now is guards red (original color but has been resprayed) with black interior. I just swapped the JDM style seats (not my style), for factory black leather 951 seats and a Momo Corsa 350mm steering wheel. I am sitting on 2004 Boxster S 17x7F and 17x8.5R with Yokohama S Drives. For brakes I have the stock calipers with stoptech rotors and track pads. The suspension is weltmeister 250# springs with koni yellows. Under the hood is where most of the magic happens. I am running a LR Super61 twin ball bearing turbocharger with full 3" exhaust, high flow cat, MBC, LR dual port WG, Rogue M-Tune MAF, LR Stage II intercooler, 3 bar FPR, 80lb injectors, and a widefire head gasket to cope with the added boost. Right now I'm running 19psi on 91 pump gas. The car is a factory LSD, and I am running a only944 short shift. The previous owner replaced the clutch with a carbon unit (it's very grabby), which seems to be holding fine under full boost, but I'm not sure what brand he went with. It almost goes without saying, but while we were working on the engine we did all of the water pump, timing belt, seals etc. All of the engine and suspension work was performed by Mark at Classic Automotives.

There's still quite a bit left to finish on the car to make it perfect and exactly the way I want it, but it's coming along nicely! Next up is some body work with parts in my garage that are currently being painted (ROW rear bumper, AIR splitter, 931 hood, and 968 mirrors). I'm also contemplating a 968 rear wing. The rest of the work is interior and making the whole thing "nicer" (door seals, hatch seals, different door panels, floor mats). Anyway- I could go on and on, but for now I just wanted to say hi and thanks to everyone on this forum who has helped out by posting stuff for the rest of us to read and reference.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:14 AM
Chalt
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

It would be great if you documented your progress for us all to enjoy. Think about it!
Old 07-22-2017, 02:34 PM
NCLA951
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi! 951s are great, and agreed on the picking up one that's already modded a bit so you don't feel bad about doing your thing. Several of us have had fun and success with VEMS standalone and MAP metering, and EBC is great. I had MBC with dual port Lindsey, and find the VEMS EBC holds boost much better to redline.

Enjoy!
Old 07-22-2017, 10:11 PM
audi49
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 79 Posts

Looks good. Those wheels look very good on a 951. Welcome & enjoy.
Old 07-23-2017, 12:05 AM
thomasmryan
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

+951 on the wheels. Very nice. First pix needs the caption, 'beyond ludicrous, there is widow maker speed'

Sounds like she breathes well.
Old 07-28-2017, 04:30 PM
t0mbo
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for all the replies! It is really fun and I am LOVING boost. It pulls really hard and never seems to stop pulling

Chalt- I'll definitely consider it! I feel like most of the stuff I'm doing has been pretty well documented and I don't want to convolute the forum with unnecessary info. I'll keep it in mind for future work on the car

NCLA951- I have read a number of the posts about VEMS and it looks like it works great! I might make that change sometime in the next few years.

audi49 and thomasmryan- Thank you! I actually really like the wheels on the car; even more than I thought I would once I put the colored center caps on. I love the image caption! I might have to make a poster for my garage with that on it
Old 07-28-2017, 05:06 PM
Chalt
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by t0mbo
I'll definitely consider it! I feel like most of the stuff I'm doing has been pretty well documented and I don't want to convolute the forum with unnecessary info. I'll keep it in mind for future work on the car
I think everyone has a unique story to be told about their car. Build threads always add value to the whole forum community, in my opinion. No two builds are identical. I learn something new every time I follow a build thread.

Quick Reply: 951 owner finally saying hello