Sponsored by:

Just got a '74 914

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:47 AM
thf944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got a '74 914

I just traded my Jetta for a '74 914. Seems to be pretty solid. Doesn't leak. I've had a bunch of 924/44 over the years but this is my first experience with air-cooled.

It has been repainted at some point in yellow, but I believe the original color was green. Where can I find the original color code?

I'll get pics up soon. Has a bunch of cosmetic issues but seems to be a solid start. I'm sure I'll be asking a lot of questions soon.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:41 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

It's on a little plate in the front of the drivers side door jamp. 4 digit code. http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act=colors

Welcome to the club!
Old 03-31-2011, 10:56 AM
Griffinroydonald
Advanced

Post us some pictures as this is Porsche **** !
Old 03-31-2011, 11:44 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome! Define "cosmetic issues" for us.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:37 PM
thf944
Racer

I'll get pics in a few minutes. Thanks for the link to the colors. I'll look and see what I've got.

It started out life as a 2.0 but now has a 1.7 or 1.8, not sure yet. Has Beetle wheels on it now but I get the original steel wheels as well, the tires are not acceptable to drive on so the Beetle wheels are a temporary fix. Has a replica 916 front bumper that has to go. Has a few dings here and there and the paint isn't so hot. He is also giving me parts to hook up AC including a center console. Not sure what that's all about yet. I should get the parts in the next few days. More to come!
Old 03-31-2011, 05:48 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This thread, a few entries down the page, should be good reading for you!

https://rennlist.com/forums/914-914-...-74-1-8-a.html

I'm pretty sure mine would have ended up a parts car in the hands of somebody else, but I just couldn't do that. Enjoy the thread and welcome to the fourteen club!
Old 03-31-2011, 11:06 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 944 Likes on 575 Posts

WELCOME!!

Old 04-01-2011, 02:35 AM
thf944
Racer

Pics - took them this afternoon but had to go to the Denver Auto show so just now getting around to posting. I'm disappointed that Porsche wasn't there, but someone had a 550 Spyder replica with a Subaru motor and an electric 356 Speedster replica.

It looks like it was originally Delphi Green Metallic (L99A).

Old 04-01-2011, 12:28 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool! Rust areas?
Old 04-01-2011, 02:18 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

My black car is also a color change, from silver. I think the bumpers were chrome at one point, at least the front one was, but I like them black as well.

My VIN is 4742917173 (the VIN sticker date is 4/74), so it was built a few months later in the year than yours. Just curious, I have solved my charcoal cannister problem (it's now installed in the rear of the engine compartment on the right side), but if your car has one, is it in the front trunk on top of the gas tank?

BTW; if your engine is now a 1.8 liter w/fuel injection it will look like my pictures.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:57 AM
thf944
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Cool! Rust areas?
As far as I can see there is only rust on the dings in the body. I personally haven't looked underneath it, but my friend and his brother (works at an air-cooled VW shop) did inspect it on a lift and they said it was rust free. I'll get some more pics in the next few days.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:06 AM
thf944
Racer

Originally Posted by Peter Zimmermann
My black car is also a color change, from silver. I think the bumpers were chrome at one point, at least the front one was, but I like them black as well.

My VIN is 4742917173 (the VIN sticker date is 4/74), so it was built a few months later in the year than yours. Just curious, I have solved my charcoal cannister problem (it's now installed in the rear of the engine compartment on the right side), but if your car has one, is it in the front trunk on top of the gas tank?

BTW; if your engine is now a 1.8 liter w/fuel injection it will look like my pictures.
I'll take a look to see if it is still there, but my car has carburetors now so it may have been removed.

That's cool to know they are only a few months apart. I'm really enjoying finding info on this car.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:08 AM
thf944
Racer

Originally Posted by skl
WELCOME!!

Thanks! That's a beautiful car!
Old 04-02-2011, 11:53 AM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by thf944
I'll take a look to see if it is still there, but my car has carburetors now so it may have been removed.

That's cool to know they are only a few months apart. I'm really enjoying finding info on this car.
My '74 is smog exempt here in CA, looking back I should have just bit the bullet, bought the $1,000.00 carb kit, and been done with it. But no, the draw of FI, and the challenge of re-wiring it and making it work, was just irresistible...
Old 04-04-2011, 03:34 AM
thf944
Racer

Well, I've been driving it the past few days trying to get a feel for it. It starts right up and goes! Pulls pretty good. It is definitely running rich. It has been thirsty. I talked with my air-cooled VW friends and they suggested different jets for the carbs. Gonna look into that. It has been lowered so it bounces quite a bit. I want to sort out the suspension to make it more drivable. Also wheels will help it look better as well. Drove it in the snow today, gotta figure out the best way to defrost windows. I also want to look for myself at trouble spots for rust. So I've already got a bunch of questions and could use some info or a place to find out the answers. I'd gladly accept any help on the following issues. Thanks!

1. Engine cover will sometimes pop open over large bumps. Seems to happen more on bumps that are on a curve or turn. I thought I was snagging the seat belt on the release handle, but I took care to not touch it and it stilled popped up. Any ideas on how to prevent this?

2. My car doesn't have a passenger side mirror. Was it an option? I assume I could get one? That would help when the cover pops up as I can't see to change lanes.

3. Wheels. I will be getting the original steel wheels - the ones with the plus sign in the middle. Should I get tires and put them on or try and find some 4x130 alloys? I imagine I could find some cheap replicas since the same pattern was used on Beetles. What sizes and offsets do I need to fit under the stock fenders?

4. 5 lug conversion - I want to go with this eventually as I'd like to put GT flares on it someday and Fuchs would look great with the flares. Hard to do the 5 lug conversion? What do I need? I saw a late 944 at the junkyard yesterday - will those brakes/hubs work? Also, if I do the conversion, what wheels besides Fuchs would fit under the stock fenders? Phonedials?

5. Suspension - Right now I'm looking to get the car to handle well, but more importantly drive a little better on Colorado's not so perfect roads. I figured raising the front up a bit will help for now. As it sits now, it is very bouncy even over just expansion joints in concrete and not very stable on relatively minor bumps in corners. What's a good suspension set up to make it more drivable on rough roads? I'm not looking for Cadillac smooth. For reference, my current daily is a '92 VW Golf with H&R Sport springs and Bilstein Sport shocks with 205/45-16 tires. If I could get a similar ride out of the 914 I'd be happy.

Quick Reply: Just got a '74 914