Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just got a '74 914

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. The latch needs to be adjusted. Just make sure the lid's pin lines up correctly. You should probably lubricate the latch at the same time.

2. 914s were never sold with a passenger side mirror. The little polished aluminum flag style mirror is still available, but they are about 225 dollars.

3. If you find a 4X130 alloy, chances are, it will fit. The popular ones are the stock Fuchs (available in repro), the stock Mahles, Empis, and "rivieras". I *might* be able to get you a set of rivieras pretty cheap, they have gone out of production, so they are on closeout right now. Last I heard, there were 10 new sets left in the country.

4. None of the 944 suspension will translate without severe fabrication work. 911 is what you want. The front suspension of a 911 will bolt right in while providing you with better options in braking and strut inserts. As for the rear, we have kits that drill the rear hubs for 5 lugs and you can still use the stock rear calipers and drill the stock rotors for 5 lug.

5. Bouncy means your shocks and struts are junk. Grab a new set of Bilstein HD's or Konis and it will give the car a MUCH better ride, and it will handle WAY better than your Golf. At the same time, your rear looks a bit low, so you should replace the rear springs. One big problem with 914s is that the springs sag over the years. I have 100 pound springs that will bring you back to stock height, but if you do end up getting Bilstein or Koni, I would suggest the 140 pound spring set. It will be a little stiff, but if that is what you are used to, you will like it.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:59 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brad has some good points. I would hold off on the 911 front end for now. I would get the car up on a lift and check for rust before you dump money into it. If the body is not falling a part then I would work on getting the car running right. In regards to the suspension I would go with 140 springs and some HD Konis (which are actually on sale right now). Rims are expensive! I would get the steel wheels cleaned up and painted and just run those with good tires. The key is the body, if the body is junk, don't drop money into it as it will be a losing battle.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:15 AM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Brad has some good points. I would hold off on the 911 front end for now. I would get the car up on a lift and check for rust before you dump money into it. If the body is not falling a part then I would work on getting the car running right. In regards to the suspension I would go with 140 springs and some HD Konis (which are actually on sale right now). Rims are expensive! I would get the steel wheels cleaned up and painted and just run those with good tires. The key is the body, if the body is junk, don't drop money into it as it will be a losing battle.
Yeah, I probably should have lead in with that! If the battery tray is rotten, or the rockers, or the suspension console, or anywhere else, you need to either fix that first, or dump the car and move on. Get a solid foundation before you build a skyscraper.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:43 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm planning on using the tried and true combo of HD Bilsteins, 140# rear springs, and a 19mm front sway bar using a U-tab kit and wheelhouse bulkhead reinforcement plates. I installed the plates while the gas tank was out, so bar install will be easy when the time comes. I prefer Bilstein to Konl because of the more progressive damping offered, and the resulting ride height will be perfect. BTW; I've done this to other 914s, so I know that it's a great solution.

My '73 2.0 from about 20 years ago...
Attached Images   
Old 04-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I just had an old moment, I was thinking I was going to see a picture from the 70's when you said 20 years ago. Nope, that was in the 90's! Where has the time gone.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
I just had an old moment, I was thinking I was going to see a picture from the 70's when you said 20 years ago. Nope, that was in the 90's! Where has the time gone.
Oh, that is so true! We just had our ninth birthday (last week) of living here in Bakersfield, and it seems like we've been here 6 months. March 2002 until today - sheeeesh.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:04 AM
thf944
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will double check rust before spending any money. I'm going to try and get some pics to help confirm any rust problems. I just filled my Golf up with parts, gonna get them out and see what I have. The original wheels seem to be in pretty good condition so I'm probably gonna get new tires and just use them for now with a fresh coat of paint.

Speaking of tires, where do you buy them? Tirerack didn't have any available and I only found 1 Kumho on Discount's site. I'm looking for a set of summer or all-seasons - the studded snows have got to go!

Thanks for all the info. I've got a lot of learning to do and you guys are really helping out.

Brad, I've been poking around on your site already. I think I'll pick up some trim rings for the steel wheels and get new tires. Then start collecting springs and shocks.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:45 AM
Matt Romanowski
Rennlist Hoonigan
which cost no drachmas
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 943 Likes on 572 Posts

Look for 205 50 (to 60) 15 tires.

Actually, what width are the stock rims that you have?
Old 04-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Peter Zimmermann
Rennlist Member

I chose 195/65 x 15 Bridgestone Potenza 960s for my car. They fit perfect, look great, and I got them from Americas Tire (yes, they had to be ordered).
Old 04-06-2011, 02:12 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

If you go with a 205/50 you are going to throw off your speedo big time. I would vote for 205/60-15. Then I would look for a 196/65-15 as Peter said.

Post pictures!!!!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM
thf944
Racer

Some more pictures. I'm not working tomorrow so I should be able to lift up the car and check underneath.

First off - I've been buying up these every time I hit the store.

Wheels

Are these OEM fogs?

Interior

Old 04-06-2011, 03:30 PM
thf944
Racer

Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

That doesn't look too bad. Those are the OEM fog lamps. You can disassemble them and clean them up in a few hours work and they look great!
Old 04-06-2011, 03:55 PM
AutoAtlanta
Former Vendor

By the way, keep the Lesney Edition 914 in the package. They didn't make very many of those, they have potential value down the road. (I have three...LOL)
Old 04-06-2011, 04:31 PM
thf944
Racer

Originally Posted by AutoAtlanta
By the way, keep the Lesney Edition 914 in the package. They didn't make very many of those, they have potential value down the road. (I have three...LOL)
Yep. I never open one until I have a extras...

Quick Reply: Just got a '74 914