Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's your 914 "project" this week?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:50 PM
jonhums
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking for a '70's 914 with a useless motor to convert to electric. This may not be standard fare for Rennlist readers, but worth a try!
Old 10-16-2008, 06:09 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

This coming weekend should be the end of the line for a recently started project. It started out just replacing the suspension bushings but then I got a bad case of "as long as I have the damn thing apart..." So, I ended up installing Elephant Bushings front and rear, new rear bearings, five lug conversion, Tarret bar in front, brake caliper rebuild with new rotors, and I think that is it... What should have taken a weekend took 6 weekends due to buying bad rebuilt calipers and having to rebuild them again. I also had to wait on parts from Germany. I should drop it off for alignment and corner balance Monday... It sure is pretty! Hope it all works!
Old 10-16-2008, 07:20 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rotten Robby
This coming weekend should be the end of the line for a recently started project. It started out just replacing the suspension bushings but then I got a bad case of "as long as I have the damn thing apart..." So, I ended up installing Elephant Bushings front and rear, new rear bearings, five lug conversion, Tarret bar in front, brake caliper rebuild with new rotors, and I think that is it... What should have taken a weekend took 6 weekends due to buying bad rebuilt calipers and having to rebuild them again. I also had to wait on parts from Germany. I should drop it off for alignment and corner balance Monday... It sure is pretty! Hope it all works!
I wish I would've gone with the Elephant bushings. I went with Weltmeister, which are known for squeaking if not assembled properly. Well low and behold I had to do mine twice. Now it's smooth
Old 10-16-2008, 07:34 PM
neilh
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Trying, for the 3rd weekend in a row, to get my webers in sync so it runs smoothly below 2000 rpm - goes like a bat out of h**l above 2k !
Old 10-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Oh... And just to get the price up to something I wouldn't confess to my wife I powdercoated the suspension parts too...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Originally Posted by hitbyastick
I wish I would've gone with the Elephant bushings. I went with Weltmeister, which are known for squeaking if not assembled properly. Well low and behold I had to do mine twice. Now it's smooth
When I got done installing the rear control arms, before hooking up the shocks I pushed up on the control arms and it was so easy and smooth. Now I have full travel without stiction... I cannot wait to drive it.
Old 10-17-2008, 04:58 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Question for ya ... if you installed the new sways from tarret, do you have an old stock one you might want to unload?
Old 10-18-2008, 05:54 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Actually, I did unload it to a local guy here... Sorry. I do have an extra rear sway bar... You should really get some though... Friends don't let friends drive 914s without swaybars... and this is why!
Attached Images  
Old 10-18-2008, 06:48 PM
hitbyastick
Three Wheelin'

Haha that looks like great fun actually. Not in the sense of functionality though.
I had some "aftermarket" sway bars on the ca. They were bolted with four bolts to the front and rear trunk respectively, with some electrical tape wrapped around it, attached at the top to the trunk floor with some thin metal U-bracket (homedepot plumbing department) and attached to the A-Arms via another weird bracket and some standard ford drop links (four rubbers, long bolt). They did not work I think.
I'll find some sooner or later
Old 11-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Last weekend, Matt Romanowski and I put out two 914's away for the winter. My parents have 4 spots to park cars at their place during the winter when they go to Florida. When they leave we fill up their garage! It is a sweet deal, but sad at the same time. The cars are always running so well when we put them away.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:05 PM
JonH
Burning Brakes

Well, finally got some time and garage space so I tackled the engine drop and some body disassembly Sat. night. I also wanted to try out my new Nikon digital after being without a camera for about 2 months. For my first time under one of these cars, the drop wasn't too bad. Now see if you can spot the 3 2.0 engines in the pic!

Last edited by JonH; 06-05-2014 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:38 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Originally Posted by Jay Gratton
Last weekend, Matt Romanowski and I put out two 914's away for the winter. My parents have 4 spots to park cars at their place during the winter when they go to Florida. When they leave we fill up their garage! It is a sweet deal, but sad at the same time. The cars are always running so well when we put them away.
Jay... What is this winter thing of which you speak? It sounds scary. Why would anyone put their cars away??? This doesn't sound right
Old 11-24-2008, 02:37 PM
NaroEscape
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 723 Likes on 355 Posts

Can we amend this thread to just say "What's your 914 "Project" Period? I mean...does anything ever only take a week? And...are we EVER done???

I would list all my projects, but they are way too numerous, and way to complicated to fill just one posting. But here's a few.......

Papa Smurf Winter Projects:
-Limited Slip
-REDUCE WEIGHT in any area I can still find
-fix 1st gear
-rewire the entire car to get rid of all those extra and heavy wires
-re-duct the oil cooler so it doesn't dump hot air UNDER the car and create lift instead of downforce
-new rearview mirror so I can actually see who's next to me in a turn now that I have to wear a Hans device
-fix some of the broken fiberglass on the front splitter from my landscaping job at VIR
-valve adjustment
-new brakes and rotors, brake flush, etc.
-I'm sure I'm missing something....

Huey:
-get the 2.7 engine running...
-...only to take it out, replace all the sheet metal, wires, etc
-rewire the engine compartment for easy quick disconnect wires
-replace steering rack
-replace bushings in front suspension
-fix oil leaks in 2.7 engine
-fix a few nagging guage issues
-re-weld rear deck hinge mount
-carpet??
-more that I can't think of off the top of my head....

Black 914 race car:
-Get race engine back in car
-SELL CAR
I HOPE that's all....

Getting You On Track!
www.naroescapemotorsports.com
704-395-2975
  • Data Analysis & Coaching
  • Drivers Gear
  • Crew Gear
  • Car Gear

'07 SPC
'71 914/6 Huey
'04 GT3

Old 06-01-2009, 07:16 PM
racer
Drifting

hard to believe no one's touched their cars since last November!

ok.. ok.. I spent memorial day weekend replacing dried out rubber fuel lines in the engine compartment. Also did the vacumn lines.. just cause I could
Old 06-02-2009, 09:05 AM
Jay Gratton
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

After getting the ol' 1.7 out about a month ago, I finally started it again and got it inspected yesterday. Being so busy with work and coaching I have been ignoring the 914 a lot this spring. It was good to drive it yesterday and I drove the long way home yesterday with the top off from the shop. Good to be back on the road!!!!!! Now summer can offically begin!

Quick Reply: What's your 914 "project" this week?