Notices
914/914-6 Forum 1969-1976
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Martin Baker's 914 GT Conversion updates.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:39 AM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 943 Likes on 574 Posts

As an original 914 owner of 34 years now, it's fun to look at those pix. I have a much modified '71 914, my first car, which I'll never get rid of. My kids can fight over it when I'm gone! I also have a '73 2.0 which I've known since 1974- someday it would be fun to do to that what you're doing now. Unfortunately, right now my time will be consumed by a Spec Miata I'm going to race next year...
Old 11-24-2004, 10:33 PM
John D.
Banned

Received 56 Likes on 36 Posts

OMG..!!! MY CAR!!!!!!

It looks OUTSTANDING!!!!!! Damn, Martin - where were you when I was building her in Dec of '98??? Simply outstanding... I'm so pleased.. Keep those pics coming... Everytime you post another - I just stare at it... Amazing... Excellent work......

John
Old 11-25-2004, 12:53 AM
John D.
Banned

Hey Alison..!

Welcome to Rennlist!!! Martin is doing an OUTSTANDING job!!! My present to you though - is it keeps him in the garage, so you have some free time Seriously - I'm really looking forward to see how it turns out for Martin - but he's doing simply a TERRIFIC job!!! I can't wait until he drives it for the first time after his work - and I'll bet he feels the same way.....

Just outstanding!!!

Welcome to Rennlist again!!!

John D.
Old 11-25-2004, 01:07 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by Alison Baker
....So glad I joined and I am the one that takes the pics for the web site so I need to be included !
You definately are! Take a look under your name - and any spouse of Martin's is a Rennlist Member.... Your pictures are terrific, and as I posted before, every time I see one of the pictures, and how Martin is caring for that car - I know it has the right new owners... For me - I couldn't be more pleased...

Someday - I hope to meet you and Martin in person - it would be a pleasure and an honor! And - I also would hope to take a drive in the 914-6 again. As you know - there is just something about that car.. I can't really describe it, but it just feels "right"...

My best to you always - and welcome again to Rennlist!!! Also - have a wonderful Thanksgiving tomorrow, if I don't have the chance to post back before tomorrow!!!

And thanks again for joining to post in the Rennlist Forums!!!!

John D.
Old 11-25-2004, 05:11 AM
Irishdriver
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Martin !!!

You never wore a suit in Germany !! We only saw him in jeans.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:31 AM
John D.
Banned

Originally Posted by Alison Baker
Here is me in my new 914 hat
Well - you'll need a new hat - because the 914 logo on yours has no flares!! Great picture!!!

Jen's and my best to you and Martin...!

(Pssst - Irishdriver - the only pictures I've seen of Martin before were the ones working on the car.. The suit SHOCKED me!! )

John D.
Old 11-25-2004, 09:16 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Martin,
Outstanding work. I have done this to just about every Porsche I have owned. Not easy and hard for the masses to REALLY get what goes into that type of work. First rate. Great stuff.
Old 11-27-2004, 06:23 PM
trekkor
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm here!

Nice work of course, Martin.

I was fun meeting you out at Sears point before and after the roll bar install.

Do you have a goal date to drive it again?

KT
Old 12-09-2004, 04:24 AM
sixnotfour
Cruisin'

Martin , whats going on with the project , give us something to druel on.
Old 12-10-2004, 06:51 AM
sixnotfour
Cruisin'

Fun stuff.I have that 100mm cap along time.
That 80mm is what Im talkin about , Are you going to make the oil filler neck with that one? Are you on AOG team ?(work)
Great Deal
Old 12-15-2004, 03:42 PM
J P Stein
Instructor

Martin:
My son works at Travis as a civilian for the AF. He has to be in the reserves to hold the job. If you like, I can get him hooked up with you to explore the possibilities there.
Old 12-18-2004, 06:11 AM
J P Stein
Instructor

Well..... he works on airplanes
He got his A&P while he was in the AF He was a crew chief on C-5s and now mostly works on C-5s, but is switching over to C-17s I think. The AF does hire civilian civil service types that are not required to be in the reserves.

I've read that most folks graduating from A&P schools don't work on airplanes.
Utilities, amusement parks, and other maintenance jobs get most of them.
Old 12-26-2004, 07:00 PM
Rotten Robby
Racer

Hey Martin, nice project. I am in Sacramento so when it is done I would sure like to see it up close and personal. Are you PCA?
Rob Sime
'99 4Runner TRD Supercharged (daily driver)
'99 Boxster Evo intake, Dansk Muffler, Chip (occasional driver)
'75 914 2.0 77K miles unmolested. (I am second owner) Need Fuchs!
'80 MGB almost restored!
'00 BMW R1100 RT-SE 16K miles (would trade for 911SC in good condition)
Old 01-04-2005, 06:52 PM
racergreg
Instructor

Originally Posted by Martin Baker
Here is the first one finished. I will make them up for people as requested. I am still working on a price. Let me know what you think.
Martin: I would love one! What is your price for the completed cap+handle? Am I correct in assuming that this will fit the stock tank neck?

I don't normally do the ebay thing, but I'd be happy to send you a check, etc. I'm down here in So Cal, a member of the Orange Coast Region.

BTW, your post has inspired my son and I to attack the interior of our track car! I have finished rebuilding the pedal box with the bronze bushings (finally got the @#$%! roll pin out). We have completed the scraping of the tar stuff (heat gun was invaluable) and are proceeding with the wire brush. That should be done in a few evenings, then we'll prime and paint. We are also going to fabricate custom aluminum floor boards for both sides. I'll post some pictures when it's done.
Old 01-05-2005, 09:37 PM
TaylorSea4
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, colored me impressed, Martin. I've always had a thing for 914's, and this thread just makes me want to own a 914 before a 944 or whatever. You're doing AWESOME work, man. Keep it up.

Those flares; are those factory steel or 'glass replicas? Any plans for a big ole gnarly 3 liter 6 under the deck? And last question to end today's 914 history lesson, 5 lugs was a GT option? Just currious with a truckload of admiration, dude.

Quick Reply: Martin Baker's 914 GT Conversion updates.