My 1967 912 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 01:23 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

This came in... adapter to install the starter while on the stand. So that I can run the engine.

Old 03-15-2015, 11:39 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

More on the rockers... Rockers received by Kurt @ Partsklassik. All I can say... photos are definitely not the way to evaluate the condition of a part. I thought the rockers were fine. I shared the photos here...and to my untrained eye, they looked good. But now inspected by someone that does this day in day out, and by having them in his hands and not looking at photos, the rocker tips are terrible. Most of the rockers still show pitting on the face of the rocker and all of the rocker tips seem to have a flat spot where the grinder stopped.

As all of you have mentioned, the tips should be a consistent radius with no flat spots, all of my rockers have flat spots and signs of pitting.

Asking him to use them as cores or recondition them... also sending the rest of the hardware, including the rocker stands... let's do it right...
Old 03-15-2015, 11:17 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Using the small orbital sanding machine got all the rust out. Then 20 minutes of rust cleaning with the POR-15 Metal Prep... rinse, dry well... paint!

Oh, come on!! Let see how it looks mounted on the engine!

Old 03-17-2015, 03:56 AM
2mAn
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 131 Posts

wow
Old 03-17-2015, 11:15 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Just making a list of the pending items. Not in order of importance nor build:
  1. Rocker assembly - with Kurt @ Partsklassik. Now it should be just a drop in and adjust task... no more guess work on my part.
  2. Rebuild fuel pump - this should be done tonight. I can tell that the fuel pump was rebuilt not too long ago. And Sunday I removed the cover to see the condition of the filter and it was in good condition. Just more of a preventive measure since I have the kit to do so.
  3. Powder coating of engine tin - to be sent out in about a week. I do not need it for running the engine on the stand. Edit: All engine tin needs to be in place for running it. Needed for proper air flow and cooling of all cylinders
  4. Remove fuel tank. Check condition for rust. Replace filter in tank. Coat outside before installing.
  5. Finish metal work - floors, rear seat bottoms, rear window corner, rear deck, passenger bottom sill (this one can probably be fix with small repairs, but I bought a complete outer sill... might as well replace it completely).
  6. Paint rear shocks to match color of front struts
  7. Clean transmission and change gear oil.
  8. Seats - Michael gave me a puzzle to put together . Vinyl covers that were taken apart to use as pattern for leather covers. I just need to sew them back together. Is either that or go for full leather covers.
  9. Seat head rests - I just want them... completely changes the look of the seat/interior. Also want through the horn grille auxiliary driving lights (already have the grille and bracket installed), and fog lights.
  10. Carpet set
  11. Headliner. Original in place and in white/yellow condition... I want to order a new one to have it ready in case I decide to change it. Even if the outside is all beat up, since the mechanical stuff will be like-in-new condition, I want the interior to look like new as well. I know that I will be wasting two rubber seals if I later decide to do a complete respray...
  12. Rubber seals -see above - (1) Windshield Rubber Seal 91154122503; (1) Front Hood Seal 90151190102; (2) Door Seal 91153109503
  13. Recondition dash. I can do this. I have done the ones for the 911 and those came out decent-looking.
  14. Door panels. Order new ones.
  15. Door top covers. Recover the ones I have.
  16. Dash panels - I wanted Chuck Moffit to make me a set similar to those in the newer cars (1969-1793) but that would fit my '67. He said that he can do it, but he is busy and not sure when he will be able to do so... worst case, I just get an original looking set from him to replace the damaged one (radio).
  17. Clean gauges and decide if I do a full restoration from North Hollywood. The average restoration runs between $1000.00 - $1500.00 plus shipping. They offer an update of the temperature gauge as well as a clock quartz movement conversion.
  18. Foot pedal cluster. Need to move the pedals from the old base to the new base for the dual master cylinder conversion.
  19. Dual master cylinder conversion. Need to make the holes in the car and route hoses, install master cylinder, etc. I have new brake lines for everything...
  20. Install brake line from rear to front. This is the one that I broke by mistake while removing the floor. I have it, just need to put it in.
  21. Engine Grille Rain tray. Need to order one
  22. Foam Defroster Tube (orange tubes) 901.572.911.20
  23. Floor boards - Driver and Passenger
  24. Rear seat panel
  25. Air cleaner base plate gasket/seals 616.108.936.00
  26. One of the front bumper guards has a little bit of rust on the bottom, can't see it unless you look for it. Waiting on a special from Sierra Madre Collection, like the one they did for the rear units, to buy a matching set. This to avoid getting one and looking different from the one on the other side. For now, the one there is fine.

Pretty sure I missed a few things... but I will update as I remember. A few photos of some of the options I want...

And found a photo of a 911... same color as mine (well, when it was new, lol)... looks so pretty...

Last edited by Wachuko; 03-17-2015 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:54 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any updates to this? You were cooking write along for a while there.
Old 03-28-2015, 10:11 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by michael_l
Any updates to this? You were cooking write along for a while there.
It was all waiting on parts. Rocker assembly arrives today

Old 03-28-2015, 06:19 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Now we are talking!!

Old 03-28-2015, 11:58 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Ron LaDow
Jaime,
Those mounting brackets, when they are installed, each have two 'basin' that capture a couple of ounces of oil each.
It's not major, but the last 5 or so engines I've built, I drill a 1/4" hole in the 'web' of each one of those. When you change oil, it's better to get as much of the old stuff out as you can.
Did not see this in time... these puppies are mounted! I just uploaded that photo before heading out for dinner with the family and friends. Here are the rest of the photos. Kurt @ Partsklassik did a wonderful job with the rocker assembly.

Rinse and repeat... other side done:

Old 03-29-2015, 09:10 AM
michael_l
Instructor

Awesome! That's what I was looking for. Those inspiration photos are drool worthy. I can't wait to see this thing running. Keep it up.

Michael
Old 03-29-2015, 11:37 PM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Cool

Originally Posted by michael_l
Awesome! That's what I was looking for. Those inspiration photos are drool worthy. I can't wait to see this thing running. Keep it up.

Michael
Thank you!

I am traveling again tomorrow, so nothing more for another week.

I know the exhaust tip is not original, but I like how it sits almost flush with the car at the same angle of the cutout... plan is to clean up the weld, repaint that section, and that is it... will be using it.

I did get a few more parts to rebuild the pedal cluster. New bushings will be installed when I move everything over to the other pedal base. It is all about that base, about that base... lol

Fuel pump rebuild kit will go into the extra parts bin until needed...fender hardware kit will also be stored until the fenders come off...and seals for the transmission (to replace after I clean it).

Old 04-03-2015, 12:33 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Tomorrow I will be dropping off the engine sheet metal and the pedal base for powder coating.

Took the time to take apart the original pedal assembly

Old 04-06-2015, 04:24 AM
brookmp
3rd Gear

Default Owner's Manual

Originally Posted by Wachuko
What's in the mail today? What's in the mail today!!??

New, from Porsche, 1967 user manual!!

I know, I know, it is silly... but I wanted one for the car...
Hi,

I'm very curious where you bought your "new" owner's manual for your '67. Is it new old stock, or a new reprint? How is the paper quality? How is the print quality?

Many thanks,

Brook
Old 04-06-2015, 06:24 AM
Wachuko
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by brookmp
Hi,

I'm very curious where you bought your "new" owner's manual for your '67. Is it new old stock, or a new reprint? How is the paper quality? How is the print quality?

Many thanks,

Brook
Brook,

Got it from Porsche. Ordered through Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Quality is perfect.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM
brookmp
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Wachuko
Brook,

Got it from Porsche. Ordered through Sunset Porsche in Oregon. Quality is perfect.
Interesting. I had no idea you could still get these. I just acquired a '67 912 and, although the previous owner had the car for over 30 years, the car didn't come with a manual and he hadn't an idea what happened to it.

I've looked on Ebay and haven't been too thrilled with what I'm finding. Do you mind if I ask approximately how much you paid for it? I'd like to get one right away.

Brook

Quick Reply: My 1967 912 Build Thread