912 Forum 1965-1969

DEAL OR DUD?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 04:18 PM
R2R
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DEAL OR DUD?

1967 Porsche 912. Aga Blue. 90k miles. Original owner. Car is original in every respect. Runs good, needs some TLC. $4000
Attached Images     
Old 05-16-2009, 09:11 PM
kurt M
Mr. Excitement
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where is it? I will check it out and let you know. Sounds like a very good deal any rust? or better said where is and how much rust does it have.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:00 PM
R2R
Racer

The only rust the owner told me about was a couple stone chips on the hood. Looks like there may be something on the drivers side fender? I'm going to see it early next week so I'll post an update!
Old 05-17-2009, 10:55 PM
aron in toronto
Pro

Man that looks like a great car from the photos. I love the color combo and patina. The price seems more than reasonable to me (but I'm not that familiar with 912 pricing) if it's in solid shape.

Keep us posted if you proceed with it.

I'd love to see more photos.

I'll make room in my garage if you pass on it.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:18 PM
butzip
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That is a steal!! Rust is your biggest enemy. Look very closely at the rear torsion bar tubes. Get right up in there, tell the guy you want it up on a lift or jack stands when you get there. pay attention to the front suspension pan and battery tray, all the bolt up points of the frt susp, rocker panels, turn signal boxes, rear seat and floor area, lower corners of the rear window. Expect there only to be no rust on the glass.....if you know what I mean.... Otherwise, that thing looks mint!! in an original unrestored kind of way. Which is more attractive than restored or rotted.... IMHO.

Keep us posted.
Old 05-18-2009, 01:30 PM
Dan@SharkWerks
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Definitely a steal as long as you don't find a ton of rust. That would sell within hours if listed on the local Craigslist here...
Old 05-19-2009, 06:39 PM
hoffman912
The Hoffinator
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 37 Posts

that paint can be polished right out too with the right products, a lot of time, and tons of elbow grease (even with a porter cable).

here is an example of someone that did just that.. took an original low milage car that had been neglected in the garage, sorted out the bits that needed attention, and polished the hell out of the original paint to create a magnificent original show stopper. (and this is NOT a repaint, it was all buffed out!)

http://912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=210522
Old 05-20-2009, 10:52 PM
ckkrause
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 50 Posts

That is a great deal...even with some rust!

-CKKrause
Old 05-26-2009, 12:40 PM
R2R
Racer

Originally Posted by hoffman912
that paint can be polished right out too with the right products, a lot of time, and tons of elbow grease (even with a porter cable).

here is an example of someone that did just that.. took an original low milage car that had been neglected in the garage, sorted out the bits that needed attention, and polished the hell out of the original paint to create a magnificent original show stopper. (and this is NOT a repaint, it was all buffed out!)

http://912bbs.org/index.php?a=thread&p=210522
This looks a lot like the blue car I found... ready to begin once given the chance!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:24 PM
R2R
Racer

I was really looking forward to it, but...
I had a check in hand ready to take delivery of the car after I had my mechanic give it a complete PPI where he found the car to be extra clean! Here are his words... " nice original rust free car that will make a very nice driver. Leakdown was OK- between 15-30% (will smoke a little) but engine runs well. Car drives nice and just needs some TLC to become a very nice driver. A steal at the price." Well, the seller backed out on me, and isn't selling. I'll keep in touch with him and try and be there when he's ready!

Quick Reply: DEAL OR DUD?