911 Turbo (930) Forum 1975-1989

Total repaint (questions)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Dr.Glasso
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Glasso

If I were painting your car I would remove all the interior all the glass remove engine,pull back wiring harness front and rear,remove doors door panels,rear deck lid,trunk,gas door front &rear bumpers all glass for starters.I also recommend using basf 90 line if you want to go waterborne followed by glassuritt clear 923-200 or 923-210. I could go on &on about body&paint,but I think u get the idea.
Just a little more info,Porsche only used bace coat/clear coat on there metalic colors, and for their solid colors only used Sigler stage.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:26 AM
FrenchToast
Three Wheelin'

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by onboost
The engine compartment has full paint, the trunk has partial with more of an overspray on the lower areas, and the interior has more of a heavier overspray, and is then blacked-out along the outer edges and moves to more of a heavier black overspray as it moves further inward... if this makes sense.
This seems accurate.

I must preface my notes below by saying things change year to year. (Compare to now, where mfg's skimp and try not to paint anything they don't need to).

As noted, the interior typically gets primer and gets coat (don't know if more than one) of color. For a multistage paint, there is usually no clear coat in the interior. Single-stage colors have the clear mixed in and therefore have a clear coat.

Do they have sound deadening sheets for this year? If so they are usually positioned after the primer is finished, and color goes on top of them. Same for seam seal and undercoat.

The black usually goes where carpet and panel seams are in order to hide any color that might show through.

However, being that all these cars are handbuilt there can be variations. It is not unheard of for assembly workers to forget something or even leave stuff under the carpet!

All bets are off during Oktoberfest! Oh wait, Oktoberfest is all year..

FWIW, cars were occasionally returned to the factory for a color change. I wonder how they did it?
Old 03-30-2017, 07:35 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoo51
Allen, could you please give me the email of John Paterek?
Sergey, PM sent.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:30 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

Originally Posted by mel_t_vin
Sergey, PM sent.
Thank you so much Allen!
Old 03-31-2017, 12:33 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

If I were painting your car I would remove all the interior all the glass remove engine,pull back wiring harness front and rear,remove doors door panels,rear deck lid,trunk,gas door front &rear bumpers all glass for starters.I also recommend using basf 90 line if you want to go waterborne followed by glassuritt clear 923-200 or 923-210. I could go on &on about body&paint,but I think u get the idea.
Thank you!
But what do you think about Sikkens paint and clearcoat that I pointed? Are they good or not?
Old 03-31-2017, 06:21 PM
Dr.Glasso
8th Gear

Thank you!
But what do you think about Sikkens paint and clearcoat that I pointed? Are they good or not?
I personally have never used there products,so I could not give u a honest answer.I have seen other car's that have been painted with Sikkens and they look good.Basf has had multiple rider awards.This is just my opinion and know what works for me.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:17 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

Does anybody know the Porsche code for black color that was used under the carpet, wheel wells, part of the whale tail etc?

Last edited by voodoo51; 03-31-2017 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-01-2017, 06:33 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

I personally have never used there products,so I could not give u a honest answer.I have seen other car's that have been painted with Sikkens and they look good.Basf has had multiple rider awards.This is just my opinion and know what works for me.
Thanks!
Old 04-04-2017, 09:33 AM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

I'm going to use these components in repaint:
- paint Sikkens Avtowave (waterborne basecoat)
- clearcoat Sikkens

What do you think about them?
Sikkens offers a very good paint line.. although, I have never had any experience with their waterborne paints, only the solvent based. However, the solvent based was very good and at one time they seemed to be the alternative to Galsurit which is one of the best, along with Spies Hecker waterborne which we currently use.

Just a little more info,Porsche only used bace coat/clear coat on there metalic colors, and for their solid colors only used Sigler stage.
Yes, but remember, that was back in the day. You spoke above about using waterborne.. so that wont be single stage nor water... you then used something solvent based.

Personally, I prefer, the older colors done in a base coat clear coat system be it solvent or water based. With the advances in the chemical technology, spray equipment etc... the finish product is just so much better, the colors more vibrant, and it adds to the ease of repair and match should you ever have an issue.

Does anybody know the Porsche code for black color that was used under the carpet, wheel wells, part of the whale tail etc?
There is no paint code for this, it is a satin black, or Rallye matte black finish. I personally like the Wurth satin black in a spray can, or the rust guard in the quart can and just brush it on... just like the factory did.

Everyone thinks these cars were so perfect down in the details when they left the factory, they were not. Lots of areas with rough welds, brushed-on undercoat and seam sealer with some finger wipes is what they had. That's part of what makes them special, unlike today's within .05 centimeter robotic finishes!
Old 04-04-2017, 07:36 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

onboost
Thank you!

The previous owner repaint all of the whale tail in grey color. So I need to know how to paint the whale tail on two colors (Blood Orange and matt black).
Does anybody have the scheme of 2 colors whale tail? Maybe drawing with dimensions and angles? Or should I just use photos?

Also do you know is the matt black color all the same (satin black) in different parts of the car (under the carpet, wheel wells, part of the whale tail, around the side window etc.)?
Old 04-08-2017, 12:13 PM
onboost
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Here is an example of the wing finish.. not mine, and I think this one is a re-do.
Many wings are all one color, with out the black over the grill area and I honestly can't remember if this was a change with Porsche given certain years, or just a number of tails re-painted without the black.

Need to check that..
Attached Images  
Old 04-09-2017, 07:57 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

That's a good pic onboost, and it matches my recollection & understanding of the vintages.

My recollection is that all the regular 930's (up through '89) have the grill portion painted black (as onboost shows above), verses the perimeter and under side, which are painted to match the car body (also as onboost shows above). I say "regular 930's", because my comments do not apply to the special package cars, S, S2's, leichtbau, flachbau, etc.

But once they got to the 964 Turbo's, Porsche started painting the entire rear spoiler the same as the car body. This is true of every 964 Turbo I have seen. And I'll also say that I am only really speaking of my "experience" with US cars. I am not sure about ROW turbos.

As an example, mine is a 1991, and the grill, perimeter & underside of the entire whale tail is all the same color as my car body (except for the rubber of course).

And I'll also add that since I Concours my car, and have spent {way too much} time cleaning the interior of the tail, mine is also painted same as body color on the inside interior of the tail (there are black plastic pieces in there too).

I'd also defer to the history buffs in our RL crew here,..... hint hint cobalt & a few others that seem to be bank vaults of facts & specs...

=Steve

From the PET for 1989...

Last edited by bweSteve; 04-09-2017 at 08:18 AM.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:29 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

onboost
Thank you!
Will try to make a drawing with dimesions for the shop

bweSteve
Thanks! I sent a message to cobalt.
Didn't find user nick "hint hint".
Old 04-22-2017, 07:48 PM
voodoo51
Instructor

Do you know if the gas tank should be painted too?
Old 05-26-2017, 09:28 AM
voodoo51
Instructor

Can't find Sound Absorber for engine trunk (Part #: 911-556-239-06).
Any thoughts where to buy it?
Thank you!

Quick Reply: Total repaint (questions)